Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2007 Season Bow Reports  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well Day 1 is over....for me.

I worked all day today and was able to get out for the evening hunt. I was in my stand and ready at 5:05pm. I felt pretty confident going out but that confidence faded as the evening went on. I guess there is not much to write. I didn't see a thing. The area I chose was pretty thick so it limits my view but nothing came through where I wanted them too! I will give this stand another try in the am and will hopefully share a more eventful report.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I skipped today....wanted to give my stand a rest. I am pretty excited to get back out. I'm sure the morning will be a lot different as I hunt just on the edge of a bedding area. I will be sure to get out very early and catch them coming home ;D Report will be up by 9am tomorrow ;)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Must be dragging out a big one!  ;)
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Sorry not much to report....I need a sad smiley face! Can someone get on that ;)

Anyways.....There are lots of deer out there but I am hunting in some pretty thick stuff. And did not get a good luck at anything. I could cheat and put my stand on the main highway but I feel confident in my spot. I will give it one more chance and then it will rest.

Offline Crazy4Outdoors

• Outdoorsman
I am proud to report that our 15-year old son got a doe with his bow opening day!  He was so excited, because this is his very first year out with a bow; he's spent a lot of time in the woods with us gun hunting and has shot a few deer with his gun, but a couple of years ago he wanted to get into bow hunting.  He bought his own bow with his own money he earned from a farming job.  A nice gentleman sold him the bow at a good price because he was happy to see youth interested in any type of hunting.  My husband took him to archery shop and helped him get everything all set up, and he did a LOT of target shooting before he hit the woods with the bow.

He got it pretty close to dark; my husband and I were gone to a church function at the time, but by the time we got home, he had it gutted, brought home, and hung in the shed.  He was pumped!!  So were we!  I'd love to post pictures but I don't know what I'm doing.  I might give it a try though.

We were so happy for him; his brother and sisters were home to share in his excitement, so hopefully that will get them interested as well!!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
that's awesome... good for him.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline barebackjack

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am happy to say that the bottom cam of my bow put a nice gouge in the stool in my stand and a doe stuck her tongue out at me!!!!!!!!! :stupid: Seen a ton of deer this weekend, even a few nice bucks and a really good one, of course not where i am hunting.  Note to self, make sure bow is not resting on stool before releasing arrow.
IBOT #197 Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy ~jigglestick

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
we saw a lot of deer moving...  but didnt get
a shot off. got there friday morn and it was
snowing.

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Maybe it is time to update this thread. I have hunted a ton in the past 2 weeks and it has been very sloooooooow! Things started picking up yesterday when I saw a few does. I had one present herself to me broadside for quit some time. She just could not tempt me to take the shot 8) I had the same thing happen tonight except this doe was HUGE! She could not tempt me either. I heard a deer coming behind her so I figured this was my buck ;D Nope....it was her fawn. It was getting dark and I was sure I could here another one come but it was stopped. Dark was coming fast so I had to do something. I grunted a couple times follwed up with a couple bleats and another grunt. All of the sudden I heard crashing coming toward me!!! My heart just about jumped out of my chest and then nothing! ??? It was dark before I knew it so I sat for a minute and then decided to climb down. I've seen a lot of does around and tonight they were in the field as well but no bucks with them. Looking forward to the morning hunt! I did buy a management tag today thinking I might have to stick one of these does just to get a kill but I want to wait........

Missed the gun opener but I will live.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I was out this past weekend on Saturday evening and Sunday Morning.  All I seen was does.  My dad went and picked up a license friday night and asked if he could sit in one of my stands with his gun.  I gave him what I thought was the best stand for Saturday morning and evening and Sunday morning/evening.  He seen does and small bucks Saturday and Sunday Morning.  Sunday Evening he shot the 10 pointer I had been waiting for since September.  It was the biggest deer he has ever shot.  He had to call up a friend of his to get it in the truck because he couldn't get it in himself.  He plans on mounting it.  What better is a son for then to line up the hunting land, scout the area, put up the stands, and give the trophy to his dad?  Now I'm just going to have to hope the biggest buck in the woods just hasn't been seen by me YET. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
It was jumping in the woods this morning! Two of us were out there and we both saw different 10 point bucks and they were both with does. At 7:30am I had 3 does moving down a trail and then I heard a grunt and then all I saw were antlers! happy2.gif Too bad he was out of range. I tried everything and he wouldn't give me the time of day. He was tight on their tail! I also saw a couple small bucks. One was chasing a doe about 20 feet behind her and running off and on. These deer came right under me but passed. A minute or 3 later another buck comes following the same weird path that the doe and buck took. I wanted to see if I could get him to stop so I whistled and he paid no attention to me. All together I saw 11 deer this morning in about 45 minutes. Got down at about 8:15 and moved my stand again or found a new tree I should say. I think we are closing in on them. Its also good to see the big deer in the woods now hanging around! And the chase is on!!   

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
So far the Grute family has been skunked.  I hunted a Metro Bow hunt and saw zero deer.  Went to Bucks and Buckthorn.  Saw some but no meat in the freezer.  Went to firearms opener and saw no deer when out of my truck.  3 guys who never hunted our area found it which is fine -- its public land.  So they come in late on their wheeler, bag an 8 pointer then leave before we're even ready to leave!   ::banghead::  I've been hunting that spot for 8 years with my core group of hunters and we've been very unsucessful and here come the newbees and get lucky right away.  Well good for them.   Actually we need more guys in that area as we've had no help putting pressure on the deer and they don't move.

This weekend my oldest boy and I do the Bucks and Buckthorn hunt again then the next weekend Im doing my 2nd installment of Metro Bow Hunters.  I plan on going as hard core as I can and stay out all day if possible.  Scent free clothing.  Scent leaves or wicks...

Grute    ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
From what I saw today this weekend should be it for you Grute!!! Good Luck!