Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: All in all how you feel about the future of ice fishing  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Chet

• Minnow
I'm just getting started in this whole ice fishing thing and evidently have a lot to learn as my succes rate is pretty bad, but Im just curious abot how everyone feels about its future.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I'm just getting started in this whole ice fishing thing and evidently have a lot to learn as my succes rate is pretty bad, but Im just curious abot how everyone feels about its future.

I don't believe there is a future in ice fishing ;D I find it hard to entertain myself fishing through an 8 inch hole. Actually its not that hard if I am in a deluxe ice house with the heat on high, a deck of cards and something to drink. It just isn't for me and probably never will be. I grew up ice fishing every winter and when I became an age when I could make my own decision I started making the right and smart decision in my opinion. A few years ago I tried to get back into just because of all this chatter on the forums but that didn't go to well. People love it and I thought if I loved to fish as much as I do in the summer why not through the ice. Just doesn't do it for me. I really do like to get out once every year but like I said not so much to fish. Its a good place to hang out with good people.

Future of ice fishing??? I think for ice fisherman the future looks great!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think in the current weather cycle we are in ( not global warming ) I think the shorter season are hard to handle

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i ice fish alot but sort of like tim...i prefer open water

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I really like to fish (summer or winter).  Now that my 2 year daughter can go with me it makes it even better.  I did say a few years back I wonder why anyone would have a big house?  Don't they like to catch fish?  I prefer the run and gun method with a protable.  Drill a couple holes fish and do it again.  Now with the daughter in my trap it's a little hard.   will be purchasing a permanent this spring or summer when I can get a good deal.  Plus in the winter it gets the kids out of the house.  Yeah I do the pulling the sled around and building snowmen.  But I sure would prefer to go out on the lake.  The future of ice fishing looks great for me.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think if there is ice i the future it will still be too cold to fish. Open water is where it's at!!!! :kermit:
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i personally love ice fishing.... that being said, it sure seems like the season is getting shorter.  or is it my life is getting busier??
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Cousin Kyle

• Outdoorsman
Soft and Hard Water!  Both are great!  Ice Fishing has grown on me.  It is very expensive to get into ice fishing considering the house, vex, auger, poles, jigs, bait, apparel etc.  Soft Water is very very expensive Boat, Trolling Motor, Depth Finder, poles, Jigs, Casting Lures, trolling Lures, Bait, Gas!  This are two separate sports, hobbies, activities.  I have always fished Soft water, only fished Hard water over the last 4 years.  I am to busy for both but make time where I can.  Make your girlfriend understand before you Marry her or you will never find time, Thats the key!!!
Pass the Worms, Pass the Beer

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
  Make your girlfriend understand before you Marry her or you will never find time, Thats the key!!!

Young Grasshopper you have learned well.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Simple answer, as long as there is ice safe to walk on there will be ice fishing. Now for the soap box answer. The real future of fishing of any kind, and hunting or any out door sport, will depend on the sportspeople to ban together and fight the anties in ST. Pual and Washington. And I mean all sportspeople, wheather you like non mortizsed or mortorised sport of any kind we have to ban together. There are a lot more antie and don't under stand people( that contribute to the antie) then there are sports people out there unless we become one. There is not a sports groupe out there that can continue to foot the bill for fighting for their sport on their own.
  Enough said.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I like ice fishing, I can take my kids out and if they get bored cause the fish aint bit'en they can run around with the wheeler or the sled and then I get to consitrate on fish'in!
So, for me, the future of ice fishing is bright and shiny!  ;)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!