Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Spring Bobbers Or Noodle Poles?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What do you prefer to use ice fishing for panfish when the bite is lite?

I like using the red tipped noodle poles.....I never got used to using the spring bobbers.

Do you prefer the spring bobbers over the noodle poles? Or visa versa?

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
 :bump:

I forgot to explain a noodle pole.....
They are usually a blue shank pole with the red tip being the last 4 inches or so.
They don't have much back bone, and are real sensitive.
You can see the lightest nibble on the tip.

The largest fish I ever caught on one was a 11 pond pike on 4 pound test.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I usually go a different route. I like using the long skinny thill floats and wieghting it down until only about and 1/8" is above the surface. I had great luck with the BOSS floats with the springs on the top. They worked great when I was in a shack. When fishing outside the spring froze up too quickly.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I have a couple HT signature series rods that have a very fast tip. These were great rods and I fished with them for a number of years. The only problem was I kept breaking them. I broke 3 in 2 years. I'm sure that is why they stopped making them.

I do have one of those blue and orange rods, but I find the whole rod is too flimsy. I like the top 5 or 6 inches to be very fast, but then have a nice strong back bone for a good hook set.

The last few years I have made the switch to spring bobbers. I really like the spring bobber system that St Croix and Thorne Brothers uses. The St Croix can be fished outside with minimal freeze up, but the Thorne Brothers is definitely one you want to use in the shack.

You can bet I'll be sitting in a nice warm shack if it's so cold my spring bobber is constantly freezing up.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline huntinchick

• Outdoorsman
I like using a st croix ultra light with no bobber

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I love the st croix ultra lights with no bobber for panfish.  And the medium light  for walleyes and jigging
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I really like the St. Croix spring bobber set ups, but my favorite is no bobber/spring bobber and using my old counter-balance invention.... you cant make a more sensitive rig for those lite biting panfish... you can even bust those crappies that swim up with your jig...  I was going to sell a version of this and even had a few tackle/bait shops that were gonna sell them for me, but they are so easy to make that I would never make enough $$ for it to be worth while... All ya do is put some kind of a tube or straw on the line between the first and second guide on the rod.... it cant be so heavy that the counter weight will drop to the floor& lift the lureout of the water, but not so lite that your jig/bait drops to the lakes bottom.  its really much simpler that it sounds!  I tried many things over the years & the best ones are made from plastic tubing, like from an aquarium pumps tubing.  for those, You cut the tubbing in various lengths from half an inch to an inch or more to counter balance larger minnows/lures.... the longer they are cut, the less spin you will have on the line when ya set the hook... What I use now are those small thill bobbers,  Think theyre calles ice"n"flies...(slip bobber type with the little peg, but throw the peg away...) get the smallest, not bigger than 3/4 in. to almost an 1 1/2 in length. depending on your lures weight.  You can also add little bits of electrical tape to help tweek the weight down to the right level that will counterbalance the weight of your jig in the water.  It works much better with fairly fresh line on your rod with out any twist in it .   Ok, here's how the set up actually works once ya have (I call em Lite Bites) it threaded on the line between the first and second guides on the rod.... holding youre rod at that 45 degree angle like when you jig, you pull the"lite-bite" down away from the rod as far as you want to give the fish to run before you set the hook.  If you pull the lite-bite 10" down, the fish has 20" to run, pull it down 5" away from the rod and the fish has 10" to run, and so on.... you dont leave the bail open, the fish feels basically no resistance at all... when a fish takes off, sideways or down, the lite-bite raises up towards your rod.  If  the fish swims up with the bait, like crappies sometimes do, the lite-bite drops down... when crappies mouth/nibble on the hook, you see the lite bite wobble/quiver and hop a little.  its amazing how sensitive this set up works, how easy it is, and it actually make ice fishing more fun.  Like I said, the fish feels pretty much NO resistance(set a rod up and mess with it at home & you'll see!) like a float/bobber has, It makes bobbers obsolete!  havent used bobbers since I came up with this, well, except when I use them for the lite-bite itself, stringing it on the line between the first two guides.  Try it out... Most my friends all use it,  people that knock on my door and see it in use are kind of amazed at it when they see it in use for the first time, then they chuckle a bit & then ya always see that weird look on their face when that light bulb goes off over their head & they mutter something either like why didnt I think of that OR man you must have way too much time on yer hands to come up with that! ;D  Ya gotta try this... if ya have any questions or problems gettin it rigged, let me know.  I guess what I like about it is its the PERFECT second line/deadstick setup cause you can just look over at it & see whats goin on & not have to get up/look down th hole ect.  Ya see the lite-bite moving up/down from 100ft away!  It works with yer main jigging rod & with spring bobbers so ya have the best of both worlds.... :fishing2:

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
how about some pictures of that setup?

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I know its unbelievable... but I have yet to gone the digital camera route :scratch:... (my 35mm still works so why chuck it, except for I guess stuff just like this... :doah:) so I dont have any shots I can show ya on here... I should get one of my friends to film a short demo & put it on here though, alot of people would do this if they saw it in action.... its actually really simple to set up & use.... but a little confusing if youve never seen anything like it I guess... try it at home before ya head out on the ice... in a nutshell, its just a slideing weight placed on the line between the 1st guide(the rods tip) and the second guide that counter-balances the weight of your jig/bait on the end of your line...  ya pull the weight down from the rod (4-10" or a bit more) to give the fish some room to run & gives ya some time to grab the rod/set the hook... easy... :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Make sure you guys let me know what you think of this... it takes a little bit of getting used to, (after using floats/bobbers all your fishing days...) but I think you will definately use the "Lite-Bite" at least for your second line when ice fishing!

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
I think I need a picture  :bonk:
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
All I ever use for panfish is just a flimsy pole no bobber
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I used to strictly use noodle rods but I switched over to a spring bobber about 5 years ago and love them. Spring bobbers are way more affective in my opinion.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thunder?
I rigged this up last night..........

Is this about what you meant? Did I do it right?

Hunter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Atta Boy!  Have ya tried it yet?  Ya might wanna add some color so ya can see it better, but yeah, thats the rig... Its really much simpler than I made it sound, I know... hard to describe to people that havent seen anything like it.  Good job Hunterdown,  I knew ya had it in Ya! ;)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, I haven't tried it yet.
I was waiting for the offical Thunderpout....Okey Dokey....   ;D
I was thinking I could wrap some colored electric tape around the tube, that way I could add or subract counter weight depending on the jig.

Make sense? Do you think that would work?

Hunter

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, colored electrical tape works well... recently Ive switched to using those thill floats (the small egg shaped ones) but I still have my tape covered tubes to hand out or use as back ups... but the good thing with the tube/tape version is you can really tweek the weight exactly...  I always had issues seein the clear tubes in the dark corner of my portables... I also found a piece of flouresant tubing, dont know where it came from.... :scratch:  Hey, consider yourself another ambassidor for the litebite.... thanx for posting it for others to see! :happy1:  Hey I liked the name ya gave it below the pic, maybe we should call it the Thunder Rig... then Ill have a little(very little) cred/legacy in the wild world of ice fishing gagetry... ;D

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I thought it was a good name for it, since you thought of it........

The promo:

Now introducing the new and improved............ THUNDER RIG!  :rotflmao:

Hunter

Offline jdh2124

:newhere: trying to figure out how all this works so hi every body

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
welcome to the site.  hopefully you will learn a lot form the site and ejnoy it as well.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I love the spring bobber rods for these cases. Really sensitive and help you get the light bighters. Having a camera down and watching them take the bait really helps as well.  ;D

I am going to buy a Thorne Bros Noodle rod in the near future though. Those are very nice rods.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hunter, that looks pretty darn good!  :happy1:  Let me know how it works for ya... it seems I use it alot when the the crappies get lock jaw and do that nose bump and not eat deal, or for a second line when using a spring bobber set up or jigging a spoon/jig-rap on my first line.  I gotta get one of my buddies to post it on here so the MNO peeps can see it in action! :fishing2:

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Hunter, that looks pretty darn good!  :happy1:  Let me know how it works for ya... it seems I use it alot when the the crappies get lock jaw and do that nose bump and not eat deal, or for a second line when using a spring bobber set up or jigging a spoon/jig-rap on my first line.  I gotta get one of my buddies to post it on here so the MNO peeps can see it in action! :fishing2:

That's a really cool idea thunderpout, I'm gonna have to give that a try.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Ok after the advise of how spring bobbers are so good I decided to buy a few and try them out tonight.  The problem was tonight the crappies were biting on a bigger pimple.  The pimple was heavy enough that the spring bobber had no spring left to it........it was pointing dang near straight down and they could feel the stiffer rod.  So I switched back to the noodle pole for tonight.  I do see if you had a light tear drop or light lure they would work good.  But the noodle pole works in most all situations.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Ok after the advise of how spring bobbers are so good I decided to buy a few and try them out tonight.  The problem was tonight the crappies were biting on a bigger pimple.  The pimple was heavy enough that the spring bobber had no spring left to it........it was pointing dang near straight down and they could feel the stiffer rod.  So I switched back to the noodle pole for tonight.  I do see if you had a light tear drop or light lure they would work good.  But the noodle pole works in most all situations.

Yep, and that would be why I carry so many dang rods with me.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yeah sandman, I was at the store and had to buy something........why not a spring bobber?

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
St Croix legends have these nice interchangable springs that come in ul, l, m & h.... really nice, problem is they only work on the "double eyed" tips on those St Croix rods... that is unless ya put that extra eye on your rods ya have ;)....

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone try the Litebite/ Thunderig yet....? gonna have to get an in-action video/how to type thing on here....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I accually did try it out, dead sticking with a crappie minnow.

It worked out pretty good, once I got the counter weight right to compensate for the minnow.

I was working a jig and a wax worm on the other pole, and caught an equal amount of fish on both.

My fishing buddy kinda gave me some wierd looks as I was wrapping electrical tape around the tube. But changed his tune when he saw how it worked.  :happy1:

Hunter

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember those looks well! :rotflmao:  Its really fun when the fish are goin nuts, & ya got one on the main rod and yer seein the thunderig floatin up towards yer rod tip..... :banghead: ;D