Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice fishing question  (Read 2491 times)

Offline JakerGreen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • MNO Junior Staff

I have enjoyed catching northern pike in the open water.  What tips can you give a kids for trying to target northern pike during the hard water season?

What bait is the best to use?

Should I use a tip up or pole?

How deep are northerns usually?

Thanks, JakerGreen :green archer:
Waskish, there is no where else I would rather be.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Try a dead smelt or a sucker minnow with the fins trimmed on a tip-up or rattle wheel while ya pound a jigging spoon on a rod set up, to call em in...

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Jake,

You picked a topic that is my favorite thing to do during the winter.
I love to catch pike, summer and winter.........Through the ice is the best!

I target the shallow areas for pike, not more than 6 to 8 feet deep.
Shallow bays and weed beds are best.
For bait, my favorite has got to be a shinner. But smelt work and so do suckers.

The trick is, to only set your tip-up so the shinner is only a few feet below the ice.
Pike like to feed up, coming from under your bait.

Me and my son, tip-up fish the most.... because we can have fun while waiting for a flag.
(snowball fights, building snow forts...or just messing around)

I hope this helps!

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I agree..... I like weed bed areas in about 6-8 feet of water, a plain hook and a small to med shiner works great. Fish about 3-5 feet deep or above the weeds and set the hook!
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
My rule is to set your tip-up bait just above the half way mark in the water collum. So if your in 8' set it 3 1/2 - 4' down. In 12' go 5-6' down. I like smaller sucker minnows. Shiners are great but I have a tendancy to kill them b4 they get to the lake. If you want to use a pole, I like to jig with a silver spoon tiped with a fathead.

Good Luck!
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I enjoy using tip-ups while chasing northerns during the winter.  There's nothing I like better than bringing in a snot rocket hand over hand through a hole.  One tip that I use when using a tip up is when you decide what depth you want to go at, put a small pea or marble sized red and white bobber at the edge of the tip-up.  That way, when the pike takes off, you can re set the depth at the same depth.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!