Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Which Power Ice Auger is the BEST?  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Grey Wolf Lodge

• Outdoorsman
  • On Beautiful Pelican Lake- Orr, Mn
    • Grey Wolf Lodge
 :reporter;

I want to buy a new power ice auger.  Some say Jiffy, some say Lazer.  What do you say?

Grey Wolf Lodge

800-840-wolf (9653)

greywolflodge.com
« Last Edit: February 02/12/09, 05:38:30 PM by Grey Wolf Lodge »
GREY WOLF LODGE
4411 Pelican Rd.
Orr, MN 55771
1-(800)-840-9653
E-mail: johnandcarol@greywolflodge.com
www.greywolflodge.com

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got both............

The Lazer is light weight for run'in and gun'in. Drill holes real fast!

And the Jiffy for the larger 10 inch holes in the perm. (Heavy, but does the job)

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ford vs Chevy
Marcum vs Vexilar
Peanut butter vs Jelly...wait...wrong analogy

I love my Jiffy, wouldn't buy anything else, not to say there isn't good products out there
"If it ain't freezin', it ain't fishin'"

Offline 2hounds

• Outdoorsman
Had the Stealth by Jiffy in the 10 inch..Didnt like it at all.Bogged out too much. I liked my Eskimo better believe it or not. But thats just my 2 cents worth.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I have both a Jiffy Legend and a Eskimo Stingray (light but won't win any races).  I like them both.  Jiffy's are bullet proof.  I would seriously look at the new Eskimos with the Viper Engine if I was to buy right now.  First engine built specifically for an Ice auger (what ever that means).  My brother in-law has a lazer and likes it.
« Last Edit: February 02/12/09, 08:18:44 PM by The General »
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline ironranger29

• Outdoorsman
i heard the new battery powered augers are very nice. No messy gas to spill, forget, or stink up your hands. My jiffy  2hp white lightning works very well and their dependable. Last year on LOTW i drilled some holes 4 a guy that couldnt get his lazer mag runnin! The lazers are nice when their brand new but couple yrs down the road you'll regret not buyin a Jiff   :banghead:

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
Most of is what meets your fancy but when it gets rite down to it if you go  with jiffy you will end up with a wet leg unless they have changed them over the years for that i love my strike master hands down number 1 in my book and always will be.
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Strikemaster Laser Mag. Insane fast and really light.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Strikemaster Laser Mag. Insane fast and really light.

I agree.  The one I have is insanely fast and I can punch holes pretty quick.  Makes the job of punching hole easy and somewhat enjoyable.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I had the 8" & 10" Jiffy augers, liked them both.  But I sold them both and got a electra lazer (with battery).  For as much as I get out it's perfect for me.  And I don't have to worry about the darned thing not starting!  Should the battery die, or I forget to charge it before heading out-I have 2 options.  1-hook up the jumpers for it to the truck battery and drill. 2-use my gel-cell battery that I use for my LED lights or the gel-cell for my depthfinder to run it. 

As mentioned before, it's alot like Ford vs Chevy.  Get ahold of your buddies and give theirs a test drive and try them for yourself before you buy-if you can. 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Grey Wolf Lodge

• Outdoorsman
    • Grey Wolf Lodge
Well, I flipped a coin and got the Lazer 2000, $269.00.  Price was right too.  I'm going out today.  VVVRRRRRUUUUMMMM! 

Thanks for the input.  I had a little left over cash for the Valentine's gift too.  She got a couple of new rods and reels!

Grey Wolf Lodge
GREY WOLF LODGE
4411 Pelican Rd.
Orr, MN 55771
1-(800)-840-9653
www.greywolflodge.com

Offline Fishabass

• Outdoorsman
I have a early model Jiffy.... the handle and throttle is at the top of pull start and has one single arm coming off the side....Some may remember to ol Jiffy 1 arms. It is OLD, UGLY, and will outdrill any thing out there. I picked it up from a guy 15 years ago and it still runs great today.
Life is tough, It's tougher when you're Stupid!
(John Wayne)

Offline Fishabass

• Outdoorsman
Oh I almost forgot I only paid $20.00
Life is tough, It's tougher when you're Stupid!
(John Wayne)

Offline Grey Wolf Lodge

• Outdoorsman
    • Grey Wolf Lodge
Some guys are just lucky.

Well, I borrowed my Valentine's new rod and reel and got lucky myself yesterday.  One nice northern.

Hopefully, there will be more action today!

Grey Wolf Lodge

training-087
GREY WOLF LODGE
4411 Pelican Rd.
Orr, MN 55771
1-(800)-840-9653
www.greywolflodge.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Fishabass that was my first auger also...........the old suicide handle.  My friend still has one.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Dardevle

• Outdoorsman
  • Member # 3888
Like what has been said.  People like different augers.  No certain one is bad.  Only bad experiences with them.  All products have "Lemons".  I have only owned one auger and it is a Strikemaster lazer mag express.  10 incher.  I really like it.  My brother-in-law has a Jiffy.  He really likes his.  I think all opinions are based on which one you purchase first.  Same goes for my depth finder.....But I am sure I'll find a topic on that one too.   LOL
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

Offline indyefi500

• Outdoorsman
I personally have Jiffy.  I bought it because that is what my grandfather always had.  I got his arm breaker when he passed but my buddies all talked me into getting rid of it.  My Stealth has never let me down.  I recommend that you buy on where you can get an auger close to you that has the best service.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new augers from what I have seen.

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a strike master lazer and with new blades and the idle turned up a litle  too far I can smoke a nills auger! nills are nice but spendy though. and nills you won't need a extension i might imagine? I recently bought a Strike master 2000 from a guy who is moving out of state and I would take the lazer bit and put it on the 2000 head because I think the 2000 spins a little faster and its a little more reliable than my older lazer.
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline Grey Wolf Lodge

• Outdoorsman
    • Grey Wolf Lodge
 :cry:

I'm having difficulty with my 2000 bogging out on me at full throttle.  It runs great for 3-4 holes and starts bogging after that.  Maybe my oil mix is off.  I also had an airlock in the gasline.  This caused it to stop.  I had to trouble shoot and figure this out.  Finally, I disconnected the line and heard a vacuum poof, reconnected it and she started right up again.

I'm a little disappointed after 30 holes and all.  Maybe its just breakin' in, but she going into the shop for a tune up next Monday!

Grey Wolf Lodge
GREY WOLF LODGE
4411 Pelican Rd.
Orr, MN 55771
1-(800)-840-9653
www.greywolflodge.com

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Whatcha mix the gas at?

I put some older gas that I already had mixed at 20:1 and it did the same thing.

I checked the manual, and it says 40:1

I dumped out the old gas and put the new in at that ratio, and haven't had a problem since.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I love these questions/posts.... Black Labs are the best!  they even auger holes!  (Sorry, just a dig on you millions of Lab guys out there... ;))  Have had the same Jiffy #30  10" for 20+ years, allways starts, allways cuts.... nuff said.

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • N St Paul, MN . . . via . . . Big Sky Country
Husquvarna is probably the nicest ice auger out there, but they cost $750
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline 7outof10

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
next year i am going to be useing a  strike master with a nils shaft ......lol that will be fun but i am a big fan of strike master

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I used the strike lite this last weekend and OMG amazing auger! whisper quiet at idle and never bogged down when flyin through a hole! 4 stroke power baby! It was wierd to see the no mixed gas in the tank after using mixed gas for so many years!  :happy1:
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think my Jiffy Model 30 10" is taking a dump on me.  I had the blade sharpened before this season and the carb redone at the end of last season.  Now when I drill it seems like it does not want to pull itself through the ice.  Almost like something in the gearing is going bad and losing torque.  I am not an expert on how they are made, but I am assuming there is some sort of clutch in it to prevent you from breaking your arms if it gets stuck at high RPM's.  Is this true??  If there is and it is going bad I will probably start saving to get a Strike Light.  I just do not need to drop more money into this 10 year old auger that weighs about 40 pounds.  I am a pretty big guy and drilling 5-6 holes is about as many as I want to do at a time with this beast!
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline KoRn_2956

• Outdoorsman
a good hand auger is the best way to go. 

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, even quieter than the littlest 4-sroke..... not as fun though when poppin more than ten holes in 3 1/2 feet of ice... that'll make ya fish with a bobber and not jig the rest of the day! ;D

Offline KTapper

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have an Eskimo Mako, and have been very very impressed with it.