Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: just tryed no till food plot  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
just planted it on friday. i cleared a area of 10x10 just racked the leaves aside to test it out. it doesnt get a whole lot of sunlight but should be enough. i have no experience with this stuff so thought i would test it out, to see where its at by bow opener. i bought the smaller bag, it has Tetraploid Forage Rye Grass, Forage Rape, and Forage Clovers in it. so im going to see how long it takes to grow, we have had enough rain so water shouldnt be the problem. ill take week to week pictures and post them and give a review when its done and ive hunted over it.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah let us know how it goes. What area of the state did you plant it in?
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
west metro area. i hunt out by victoria.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Should come up pretty good. You have a little longer growing season there. Good luck.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My guess is it will look ok this fall but really shine next spring and summer.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i tried that last year, in a shadier spot... didn't work to good.  and I planted before you did.  They don't work well in my opinion.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
ya john thats what im worryed about because it dont get to much sun. but if it doesnt work then i just know not to trust any of that no till stuff anymore. its a experiment and if it doesnt work then i didnt really lose much cause i bought the smallest bag possible, to try out.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It will depend on rain more than anything. Rapes, clover and rye grass are shade tolerant and can handle bad soil. If the soil is rock and sand then it won't do good because they don't have a tap root but that's about all that will stop it from growing well.....also seed to soil contact obviously but with those small seeds a moderate rain fall will get it to the soil.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just raking it down in, might not be enough. Big E is right...gotta get them little buggers to contact the soil somehow.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well i racked everything clean and pulled very few weeds that were there. it looked like it was just black dirt no sand no clay, should have no problem growing. the ground was wet when i planted it and it rained here last night also, so i think im good.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It'll prolly be fine then.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Hope the rain didn't wash it into the low spots.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
dakids i hope so also so i guess ill just have to check my trail camera earlyer than i wanted to, just so i can check on my plot also. the camera is only like 5 yards away, because im curious whats been coming down that trail.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I tried some of that last year and didn't have much luck. This year I put some lime down in the woods and it made a world of difference. It gets pretty acidic in the woods. That trail is a sqirrel trail, I've seen them many times. :rotflmao:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline boogityn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Team Xtreme
" If you have a chance, take a kid fishin"

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well its been 9 days and the plot has come up great so far, deer are hitting it pretty good also.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
wow, i am surprised... I wonder why mine didnt work, looks like about the same light as your area...

what kind did you get?  I tried one of those shot-plots.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=412948&pdesc=Evolved_Harvest_Throw_Gro_Food_Plot_Seed&cname=Food-Plots&aID=503AC6&merchID=4006&r=view

that exact bag above in the link.

think im going to buy some imperial no till food plot for another area and try that one also and see which one the deer take to better..but ive heard nothing but bad things about that one though.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That came up really good. Those little plots in the middle of the woods are my favorite to hunt over. Deer use them all day long. I planted a plot by a bedding area and deer use it all day and night. Deer don't sleep for long periods of time they take little naps and get up every couple hours to stretch and browse and when you have a food plot in the middle of the woods where they feel safe you're sitting pretty. Nice work it looks great and it has another month to grow.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cody, Cody,
Last week Cody posts a picture of a 4 wheeler trail and calls it a deer path.  Now he throws some green carpet in the woods and calls it a food plot.  Makes me wonder about the deer in the trail cam pictures.  Low light,  out of focus makes it hard to see the seams in the deer decoys.  :rotflmao:

In the famous words of Croc Dundee, thats not a food plot, this is a food plot.

P.S. Just joshing ya Cody.  I have some small plots in the woods just like yours.  The picture above is from a plot I sprayed and planted sometime in July.  It is a mixture of 4 clovers and some upland bird mix I had.  I also use the no-till process.  Thanks to abundent rain since planting, it looks great.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye you have no idea how long it toke me to get those pictures just right to make them look like real deer :whistling: :whistling: