Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food Plots  (Read 3105 times)

Offline LOWFisherman

• Minnow
Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon this board the other day, I have to say I like all the information I see!  I recently bought some property that has some hunting potential to it.  On the south side of my property I have room for a small/average food plot.  What is the concensus on food plots?  Are they approved? frowned upon?  What are the basics I need to know about growing one (I realize its too late this season, but for next year)  What attracts the best?  etc?  Thank you in advance for any info I can pry.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Most important thing to start with is get a soil sample.  ph, sunlight, and available nitrogen will dictate what needs to be done and what to grow.  I like clover or turnips and stay away from rye grass!!!!  It is very invasive.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Almost forgot.  WELCOME and feel free to ask questions.  There are a lot of great people on this site.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline LOWFisherman

• Minnow
Where does a guy get a soil sample examined at?  and how much does it cost about?

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
you can probably send one to landdr.. pm him he is a member here, His name is Kyle.  He owns PLM, pl management.  They are by Glenwood I think, by Minnewaska. He might just do it for free, and I know will create a custom blend of seed for you based on it.  And his seed is not that expensive.  cheaper then buying it at cabelas, fleet farm or gander.
email      info@HabitatNOW.com or PM him.  And tell him to get back on the site!
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline LOWFisherman

• Minnow
I'm up in Northwestern MN...thats a ways for me to go, I was hoping there was something closer

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
well, you can mail it ;D
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
There's so much you can do for so very little money. The right clover mixes are easy to get asstablished. Brassicas are a huge draw for deer and offer the most tonage per acre hands down. They're also cheap but be careful, try to buy stuff that is proven to work in our climate. You can broadcast all of these seeds. Just kill off the area you want to plant. On Wed Midwestwhitetail.com MN is going to have some tips on food plotting in MN. It's gonna be a great show with some good buck kills and good information for the first time food plotters. Please ask any questions and we'll all try to give you the best info we can offer. Dakids is right stay away from throw and grow mixes with rye grass in it.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Where does a guy get a soil sample examined at?  and how much does it cost about?

Any co-op that is in any of the local towns test soil, on average it cost between 15-20 bucks.
(some may vary, from town to town)

They can also help you with what Big E said....they will tell you your options of what will grow in your climate and what will grow the best for your soil type.

Most pre-packaged food plot mixes, have seeds that might not grow in your area. So, be careful, otherwise you'll be just throwing your money away.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Why dont you want to plant rye??? I have talked to people and they said that rye is good. I planted some this year , sept 1 came up good. The deer are eating it!!?? Thanks Wes :help:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Why dont you want to plant rye??? I have talked to people and they said that rye is good. I planted some this year , sept 1 came up good. The deer are eating it!!?? Thanks Wes :help:

They are talking about Rye Grass.