Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Two juveniles charged with poaching seven deer  (Read 1903 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
News Releases
Two juveniles charged with poaching seven deer

Two Roseau County youths have been charged with deer poaching and related gross misdemeanors as part of an investigation by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

A 16-year-old from Roseau was charged with taking big game without a license, gross misdemeanor taking big game with artificial light, gross misdemeanor transport of illegally
taken big game, and wanton waste. A 17-year-old from Wannaska involved in the incident was charged with taking big game without a license, gross misdemeanor taking big game with artificial light, and gross misdemeanor transport of illegally taken big game.

Early in the 2009 firearms deer season, State conservation officer Ben Huener of Roseau received complaints about a couple of teenagers driving around with lots of deer in the back of a pickup near Malung, a small town in central Roseau County. A license plate number led Huener to the two juveniles.

The 16-year-old initially denied involvement, but later admitted the youths used the headlights of the pickup to blind the deer before using a rifle to kill two does and five fawns. The 17-year-old confirmed the story. Three of the fawns were later discovered near a church, with the remaining carcasses dumped at various locations around Malung.

In addition to applicable fines and court costs, the charges also mandate restitution paid to the people of Minnesota in the amount of $500 per animal taken, as well as a mandatory revocation of their hunting licenses for three years. A rifle and scope were seized for possible auction.

Anyone with information about any wildlife or fisheries violations can contact the Turn-In-Poachers (TIP) hotline at 800-652-9093 or #TIP on their cell phone.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I glad they got caught, they had what was coming to them.  I know when I was that age, not too long ago you think you are above the law.  Nice to see them charged as well as their gun taken away.  Im sure it was their fathers, so he must not be a happy camper.
However, taking their license away for 3 years....?  They never bought a license in the first place, so who knows if that is even punishment.  Better safe than sorry though, I wouldnt want those hoodl'ems around my woods!
Thanks for sharing Hunter