Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Any Golfers out there?  (Read 5516 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Got my first 18 holes in yesterday.  Dang it was nice.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Jealous.  Ill be back to the cities this weekend to get my clubs.  A few of my buddies went out today, they said it was a perfect day!

Golf GTG?  That could be something in the future if there are enough guys that play.  Maybe a little tourney of some sort.  That could be fun.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Got out monday and birdied the first hole :happy1:
It was great to get out.
GTG sounds like fun.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I just became a full time member last year.  I use a set of clubs that are about 10 years old and nothing name brand.  I usually shoot 85-105.  Would investing in a new set of clubs improve my game?  Recommendations?

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I just became a full time member last year.  I use a set of clubs that are about 10 years old and nothing name brand.  I usually shoot 85-105.  Would investing in a new set of clubs improve my game?  Recommendations?

Well, it looks like you have a range to your scores.  I would say that you can still get some time on your clubs, BUT you could buy a new set and try then out this year.  For me, it takes me alot of time to get used to newer clubs, so if you arent playing as well with the new ones you still have the old ones to fall back on til you get used to the new clubs.  Thats what I would do.
Im not sure what is the strong and weak part of your game.  I, for example, had some problems chipping but everything else was good, so I just bought a new a new lob wedge.  The main question is, if you are going to spend $1,000+ on a new set of clubs, you are going to have to know they are going to get used (which it sounds like they will).
Then, I would say go for some new clubs (irons for sure, and then invest in a nice driver, dont worry about the 3 and 5 woods, or rescue, or fairway woods for now - your older ones will suffice).  The 3-5-7 woods I dont use too much, so I wouldnt invest alot in them -- but thats just me.
Thats what I would do, try them out this summer, if you get them early you can get alot of use out of them this year.
 :happy1:
I have Taylor Mades, the Irons work well for me and the driver is PERFECT :) 360xD its a few years old, but its real nice, I dont like the new drivers they have come out with, the ones that you can change everything about them and they are huge.
GOOD LUCK!
:dancinred: Ill be hitting the course this Saturday!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Instead of getting new irons (technology in irons hasn't changed to much) Take a lesson or 2.  A few years ago I was going to get a new set but opted for a lesson instead.  I couldn't break 90 and figured it was the clubs.  I took the lesson and it made all the diff in the world.  After working on the swing a couple of years I did get a new set of Mizuno blades.  I usually just get a cheap(20.00) walmart driver every couple of years in the fall.  They are just as good as the name brands for about 2 years. You can also buy demo models at a few of the bigger golf stores.  A buddy of mine bought a old set at a garage sale with a broken Calloway big birtha driver.  He sent the broken club to calloway and they replaced the shaft for free.

Drive for show, putt for dough.
Your driver gets you bogies and double bogies but your putter gets you pars and birdies.   
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Dakids is definitely right, I would check on some lessons too.  Once your swing is figured out it makes all the difference in the world.
I never agreed with 'drive for show, putt for dough', because I think its important to get a good start to the hole.  You dont want to be playing from the woods, or playing 150 yards behind everyone -- Thats just me.  ;)  But putting is a huge part of the games, 1/3 of most peoples strokes come on/around the green.  Gotta spend just as much time, if not more, on the practice green as you do at the range.
For me, putting is mostly mental, I have a putter that ive had along time and I just wasnt putting well last year.  I knew it wasnt the club, but something about the putter just wasnt working for me.  So I borrowed a cheapo putter from a friend and I was putting alot better.  I just had to tell myself that the new putter would work better.  :happy1:
Everyone has their own system when they play golf, IDK how Jim Furyk can play so well with that swing of his, but he has figured it out.  Gotta find what works and stick to it.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Well I was out for 18 again tonight.  The other day I shot a 98 and today an 89.  My short game is my strong suit.  40 yards and in it pretty much good to go.  I'll have 2 holes where I drive it straight down the fairway.  Then the club head is open and I'm pushing it to the right.  Then the next hole or 2 and I'm pulling it to the left.  Very rarely do I slice or hook, but it does happen.

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
New clubs are not going to make a difference.  Take the money you would spend on clubs and play more, that is how you get better.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
 :bump:  I'd be willing to show you young guys a thing or two. :coffee:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
:bump:  I'd be willing to show you young guys a thing or two. :coffee:

Finally something you MAY be able to give me a lesson in.  Hit me up and lets make it happen.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:    I'm in.    Anyone else want to go out and tear up some grass?   My location White Bear lake.   Anyone that wants in put your location in so we can set up a spot to play.  How about Fawk over there in Maple Grove.  Do you play golf?
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Im down in Winona for most of the summer but I make it up home to Fridley often.  If you guys set a date I can try to make it.  Ill just say that I golf better than I fish.... and im a pretty darn good fisherman!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm North of the cities

and I can shave some grass......  :coffee:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bump:     Looks like a possible 4some.  I can play in August.  General north. MT South.  Me middle and Hunter slightly north.  I can  do  Fri,  Sat, or  Sun.  Man, summer is short.  2 Weeks later and fall starts.   If anyone else wants in  pipe up. Lets pick a day and do it.   Once we have the day we can find a course. :toast:

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Fridley is north  :scratch:.... so I guess we are all north.  Fridley, White Bear, Maple Grove and others north/middle-ish.... IDK, maybe im wrong.
I would be up for August.  I am familiar with Bunker Hills and Majestic Oaks but I have played alot of courses around the cities.  Ive been out a few times, Ive noticed that softball has thrown off my golf swing.... I have some work to do  :doah:
A FRI SAT or SUN would also be the best for me since I would be coming up

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
To keep it simple Fridley will be ground zero.  Winona will be south.  Rush lake ? (Hunterdown) slightly north.  The General northwest.    Toss out what works and we can put it together.  This is open so concidering Fridley as ground Zero we will come up with a location and then anyone is welcome.  Even you Randy.  Lets do it.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm actually straight west of the cites an hour and a half.  My weekends are filling fast. When the CP gets home I'm PM you with some dates DDS.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Took 1/2 day off to go play Oak Glenn....Think I'm gonna get wet, I may need a  :titanic:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope you did not have to play today.  I would't even bother in this weather.  Fishing would be ok but golf-no way.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I golfed...got wet...and finished 3 under...
69 for 18 holes.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
 :surrender: :bow: :help:   Maybe thats why I suck.  I refuse to play in the rain.  General and Mt. toss out a couple of dates in August.  With enough notice I could do a weekday too.   Anyone else that would like to play chime in.   I can now say with confidence the low score will purchase the first 2 rounds. ;D

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i like to hit the ball as hard as i can and see how far it goes, but there is no going to get it  :rotflmao:

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
69 for 18 holes.

Im scared to golf with HD now..... thats impressive.  My best round was a 79 (last year).  I had one a few years earlier too, but I also had about 8 Windsor/Cokes, so I dont count that round, Im sure I screwed up counting somewhere.   :drinking:
IMPRESSIVE ROUND HD.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
:surrender: :bow: :help:   Maybe thats why I suck.  I refuse to play in the rain.  General and Mt. toss out a couple of dates in August.  With enough notice I could do a weekday too.   Anyone else that would like to play chime in.   I can now say with confidence the low score will purchase the first 2 rounds. ;D

If we are thinking weekends I would say either 21st or 28th weekend.  Weekdays, I could do, but it would have to know the date a little in advance so I can get it off of work.  For sure the 7th of August doesnt work for me.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well, I didn't do that good....
My buddy beat me by 9 strokes.   :banghead:

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bow:

I would even be up for a weekend in early September!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
69 for 18 holes.

Was this a Caddy Shack moment?

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a date set for Aug. 14th for the MNO Golf Challenge.  Anyone is welcome.  Please let me know if this date works for you.  This is a Saturday.  We will pick a course when we see how many can come and where they are coming from.