Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Morel Mushrooms.....or mushrooms in general  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Anyone finding any morels or any other edible mushrooms yet? If so what part of the state? I went out a few times around Brainerd with nothing. I'm thinking by next week if the weather stays nice and we get some rain.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been out yet (Alex. area).  I see the weather forecasters are calling for Lilacs to bloom around April 20th (guessing in the cities area) so I would think any time.   :whistling:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Does anybody use that spray for wood ticks with permethrin in it? If so, do you think it is safe? They say it kills the wood ticks and stays on your clothes for up to six washes.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Hunter2,  I have used the stuff (I think it is called permathone) and it works great.  Last weekend I was out in the tall grass and thick brush and I didn't have any, whereas my brother who didn't use it had 10 ticks on him.  He said that the deet worked just as good and didn't want my tick attracting spray.  I got the last laugh.

Last year I found my first grey on the 1st of may(metro).  I will be out next monday when everyone else is at work so as to not give out my secret spots.  Last year I had a fellow camping out at my front door and follow me where ever I went. :whistling: 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Found this yesterday..........

Is it the real deal?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the real thing.  If its hollow its real, if its not hollow it is a false morel and is poisonous.

Is the shroom in a rock bed?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Looks like the real thing.  If its hollow its real, if its not hollow it is a false morel and is poisonous.

A good poisonous or a bad poisonous!?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

It's in my driveway.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

A good poisonous or a bad poisonous!?

[/quote]

THERE IS NO GOOD POISONOUS

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If the cap is NOT conected to the base it is a False Morel. If it has cotton type stuff on the inside of the stem it is a False morel. The stem of a Morel is conected to the cap and the stem is hollow like a straw.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Morels I found in Sandstone, MN.

« Last Edit: April 04/26/10, 05:12:30 PM by Big E »

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This is a false Morel that I found.                                                           

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Big E for the pic of the False morel. I've never seen one.  I was out yesterday and had a pretty good day.  Here are a few pics of the shrooms and also a dead doe that I found on a south facing hill by a ceder.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Holy crap you are finding a bunch! I don't think the nights have been warm enough for them to start popping in Northern MN yet. The ones I found were on a big hump that was on top of a big hill. It was getting FULL southern exposure. In some of my other spots I have found them in the past there is none so I'm thinking in another week or so. We had a pretty hard frost again last night here in Brainerd. We also need some rain

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've found more yellows this year than in past years and very few greys.  As you know the greys are much smaller and are usually earlier.  If we get rain we could get a lot more picking done.  My season total is 250.  last year i hit 500 with about 400 of those being greys. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Big E, I went out today about 30 miles south of Brainerd and found about 100 in a couple hours.  Most were very fresh so the may be just starting.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Dad has gotten a few in the Brainerd area, and a few in the Longville area.  A lil rain would sure help!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Awesome!!!!!! Thanks for the update! I will be out tomorrow looking for them and every day after that now. THANKS A TON

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I'm pretty excited. On friday I'm going out in search of morels for my first time ever. Really looking forward to it and also looking forward to eating some... Never had them before.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well... How did you do?  Did you master the morel domain?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Put on about 3 miles tonight and nothing  :banghead: Brainerd area

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Put on about 3 miles tonight and nothing  :banghead: Brainerd area

You must be about as good at Morel Hunting as you are at deer hunitng.. Call your relatives and have them help you! I'm sure they will find some....  ;D

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: You're hillarious.....you also maybe right.

Well went out this weekend by the Paynesville area. 5 min into looking we found these 4. Then 2 hrs later we still only had these 4...... :banghead:

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
That's four more than I've gotten so far this year Big nutz...err  I mean Big E.    :bonk: 

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My brother picked 23 pounds today and they were buying them at $14 a pound.  I haven't been out in a week, but did pick about 6 pounds in my two trips early last week.  Ate mine. :happy1: