Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Electric fence for food plots?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Have any of you Food plotter's used solar powered electic fence to keep the deer out to help get small plots started? 

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I never have. What is it you're trying to plant in the small plot?
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Well after seeing your pics thinking of planting some turnips! Then fencing them till the fall... :fudd: :deer:  I have a LOT of deer on my property and afraid unless its 10 acres in size they will just mow them down...

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well after seeing your pics thinking of planting some turnips! Then fencing them till the fall... :fudd: :deer:  I have a LOT of deer on my property and afraid unless its 10 acres in size they will just mow them down...

How big of a plot are you going to be planting?

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They can handle some heavy grazing. The hybrid types of rape and turnips just keep growing. If the eat it all up well at least they got some protien and you can always plant in the fall if they end up eating it to the ground.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking of planting several small plots like1/8- 1/4 acre in size.  I saw in Cabelas they have some kind of tape system to keep around plots to keep the deer out untill fall... thats why I was wondering if anyone did that and was thinking of electric fence.  Also was assuming if you wanted the turnips to get big for late fall digging up by the deer that the tops would have to be not eaten off???  Or will they grow the big root even if heavily grazed?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got electric fence around my pasture, but that only keeps the cows in...but not the deer out.

They graze in the same area.

It would have to be an awful high fencing and wire system....them buggers can jump pretty high.
 :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hunterdown is right, it would take a massive fence to keep them out.  Also, deer generally don't eat turnips or rape untill after you have a couple frosts so you shouldn't have an issue establishing the plot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was thinking of planting several small plots like1/8- 1/4 acre in size.  I saw in Cabelas they have some kind of tape system to keep around plots to keep the deer out untill fall... thats why I was wondering if anyone did that and was thinking of electric fence.  Also was assuming if you wanted the turnips to get big for late fall digging up by the deer that the tops would have to be not eaten off???  Or will they grow the big root even if heavily grazed?

They will still grow a bulb. Turnips keep growing new leaves throughout the yr. Even when they're not grazed the old leaves die and they send up more. If you fertilize it will only increase the growth rate. Brassicas explode when they get fertilized. But if the deer do end up eating you out of a food plot somehow just replant in the fall. White oaks drop usually in August and Red oaks shortly after. Deer will lay off the plots plenty during this time. Deer know the plot isn't going anywhere but they need to get acorns while they can. If your plot is just stressed out in the fall but not dead it will have time to bounce back and put on some green growth so you don't have to re plant

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Corny -

That is exactly what I am doing. I have two really nice open areas in one of the pieces of property that I hunt. Both are roughly about a half of an acre or more. I plan to do a brassica plot there but will not plant until July sometime. I am going to start prepping it soon and hopefully will be ready to plant July 1st. I then will wait for the weather to cooperate with a nice stretch of rain and then the seed will go down. I think its safe to say that the plot, even though its small will survive through the year.

I spoke with someone last year in regards to that tape and they said it didn't help at all. I think a buddy was telling me about it.

Offline ole1855

Well, I have a 3.5 acre plot, 1/2 on a clover mix and 1/2 in a mix of clover, turnips, rape etc...etc...The deer eat it right to the dirt on the turnip 1/2, there were only a couple dozen turnips that got to be the size of a half dollar.

I worked the 1/2 up to plant in a clover mix in a couple weeks since they graze that well into Dec.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well, I have a 3.5 acre plot, 1/2 on a clover mix and 1/2 in a mix of clover, turnips, rape etc...etc...The deer eat it right to the dirt on the turnip 1/2, there were only a couple dozen turnips that got to be the size of a half dollar.

I worked the 1/2 up to plant in a clover mix in a couple weeks since they graze that well into Dec.

That doesn't sound so good. When did you plant!?  I would hate to have my plot eaten down like that. If they are eating that heavy through September I wouldn't mind as much as long as I got an arrow through the one I wanted!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

I say plant the whole thing in turnips and rape and plant early and fertilize. Disk under the clover you have in there now and use all that stored up nitrogen it produced. 3.5 acres of clover is a lot of clover and you want to have the deer keep it mowed or you have to mow it. If the deer hammer the brassicas then give them more of it. Just my 2 cents

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You know I just thought of this for you guys having trouble with deer eating your plots to death. Here is a few easy ways to keep deer off your plots until they get established.
 Human hair will do the trick. Go to a salon and ask them for the hair. People do it a lot for their gardens so they won't think that you are nuts. You can put it in a mess onion bag or just spread it on your plot. You'll need to freshen this a few times but it does work.
 A coyote decoy in the middle of your plot but move it around as much as possible so they don't get use to it.
 Scare crow still works. We use one on the garden but again you have to move it around.
 Clothes that you have worn and sweat it hanging near by will also work.

Anyone else have any ideas to help these guys?

Offline ole1855

We planted it in mid May.  The reason I'm going to all clover is I have anywhere from 4-20 deer in my 3.5 acre plot from bow season thru rifle season.  We mow the clover once, usually the end of July then the deer keep it mowed for the rest of the year.

That doesn't sound so good. When did you plant!?  I would hate to have my plot eaten down like that. If they are eating that heavy through September I wouldn't mind as much as long as I got an arrow through the one I wanted!
[/quote]