Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: new plot for 2010  (Read 9939 times)

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I got a good feeling the soil is going to need alot of help so no plans yet on whats going in. Just happy it got started, I wanted to do this last year just did not have the time. Should be fun to work it and watch it come together

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04/29/10, 12:29:09 PM by bowhunter73 »
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
If I remember correctly isn't your stand to the right? I thought you would run the plot right up to the wood line that your hunting?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My guess is he plans to hunt from his wheeler.  Looks like it's in a good spot.  :whistling:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That looks like a pretty good sized plot. Doesn't look like you're plotting in northern MN the home of so called ROCKS. Lucky duck. Anyway are you planning on putting up a border screen around the plot? If so and you're stand is off to the right where they food plot doesn't butt up to the woods you could make a funnel of death from your stand to the plot pretty easy. Either way I would put up a screen not just to make a funnel and so the deer feel more comfortable during the day but it will also conceal you getting into your stand and getting out of it at night so you don't spook any deer and educate them.
 How big is this plot? What do you think is wrong with it? Can't tell much from the pic but it looks like it has been worked up before and has good soil. Ph I would think is not going to be horrible because the trees are off of it far enough.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Very nice start!  Looks like a really nice bed room not far away...always try to create a "bed and breakfest".

First year breaking of new ground often results in A LOT of weeds.  You have root ryhzomes from the existing sod as well as all the weed seeds in the soil that have now been distrubed and ready to germinate.  It can be a real fight the first year!

I always recommend people to start with RR corn or RR beans the first year (you can mix them at 10 lbs corn to 5 lbs beans as well).  It is a great way to easily take care of weed issues with the roundup.  It will also allow for a year of mellowing the soil which will make tillage a lot easier in the future.  This will also make for a great fall attractant.

Second option would be Brassicas...but I would recommend RR corn/beans.

I would also recommend doing a light discing or dragging over the grass area between the food plot and the woods and then broadcast a clover mix in that area.  The light tillage will open the soil enough to get some seed in and create a nice plot in that area as well.  "Try" to time this prior to a high chance that it will rain a day or two after you complete the work.  This "overseeding" will provide some additional food source and attractant just at the edge to create a comfort zone and travel lane that may draw the deer across your shooting lanes.

Keep us posted!

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
My only worry is the natural field grass did not even root well and was thin. I know this might not mean much but as I am no expert I was just thinking this could mean something about the overall soil condition. Any thoughts?
I already did more disking next to the woods .However this is family land and I have to follow the rules set by the land owner. Kind of funny but there is a walking path that he does not want disturbed and it is now running in between the large field and the smaller one now by the woods.
I think I may have the only food plot in MN with a nice walking path in it for the land owner to walk his dog! However this is a city plot and the deer are used to people and their dogs. There is a 15 year pattern going on here and the deer don’t seem to mind.
The wood next to it offers excellent bedding and sanctuary at the neighbors 30 acres with a pond on the other side
Total now is just over an acre or so

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Is the soil sandy?
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
The soil is prepped and ready. Now I am just waiting the results of the soil sample so I can fertilize and seed.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What's going in here?

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Vegetation cover is a great indicator of soil quality.  The early pioneers knew this as well and looked for the large stands of Big Bluestem when picking their quarter to homestead on.  Big Blue was an indicator of heavier black ground and good farm land versus Little Blue, Sideoats and other native grasses were often indicators of this dry soil.  We still have a lot of indicators that tell of if the ground is heavier or thin, wet or dry or even sunny or shady.

I would recommend two options for seed...

1. Continue to till the site every 6 weeks or so up to Aug. 1.  Then plant Brassicas and/or Peas & Oats and/or a winter crop such as oats, wheat, rye, etc.  You can mix some of these and/or set up plots of each.

2. Use Roundup Ready  Corn and/or Beans to allow for a maximum weed  control and soil conditioning for the first year.

Keep us posted.

LandDr

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
 I will be planting a Brassica mix in this plot. I also just got the results from my soil sample. I have a low PH and I need Nitrogen and even more Potassium.
Here is the bright side; this plot when done will be the best thing in the area. And will provide most everything the deer need/want.  This area already has nice bucks around so it makes me wonder how good it will be after there are properly feed!
If you have not yet started your plot it’s not too late. They can’t eat it if you don’t grow it! :scratch:

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
Anybody got an extra 2000 lb of lime I can use???

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Anybody got an extra 2000 lb of lime I can use???

I think I have a ton laying out back... Let me check and I will get back to you.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought some at Runnings last year, it gets kinda spendy.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you just buy the ag lime it's very cheap. I think it was $30 per ton at the co op where I checked. The only thing is hauling it and spreading it and you'll also want to disk ag lime in.
 Peletized lime acts faster and you don't need as much but it gets spendy. That's what we use because we can't get a tractor or truck to 95% of our plots.

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
E    I hope you are right about the$$$ I am going to look around tomorrow

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yes shop Lime because it can vary in price from place to place......at least
 with the few I checked with last yr I was glad I shopped them. The big expense is finding a way to haul it and disk it.

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
 This is going to cost a lot more than I thought. But I look at it like this; some people spend $8,000 on a sled or $20,000 or more on a boat. Well deer hunting is my thing and its still way cheaper than other sports. And I get a nice dinner when its all said and done!!!

E  I have a pull behind disk!   Just let me know

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I got 3,200 pounds of lime for $41.00 yesterday. That was the easy part; today I used a shovel to spread it out. It only took a few hours and worked pretty good I just swung the shovel in a half moon pattern and it spread a nice coat over the field. Now I need to get cleaned up and get to work going to be a long day

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wow! Little sore after that? That's awesome though good work! Let's see some pics!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I added to the plot it now meets woods on the East side. I also planted corn on the West side as comfort screen for the deer. I used some OLD seed I had and really over seeded. But I tested the seed in a paper towel and got about a 60 percent germination rate so we will see what happens.

This little planter works pretty well for single row planting

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Ive got one of those little planters for my corn in my garden.  Have you tried it with the disk for turnips in your food plot instead of broadcasting???

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
No, but as you know you can set the depth that the seed gets buried. I think it would work just fine. As long as you are not using a mix of seed this works great. You just need to walk back and forth a lot

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
bh73 where did you get that seeder and what did it cost?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got one of them seeders....

I bought it at Petersons Mill in North Branch, it was around 100 bucks.
And, they come with a bunch of different plates for different seeds.
They work great in sandy soil!
« Last Edit: June 06/14/10, 07:04:06 PM by Hunterdown »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
One row at a time...wow!  I have around 20 acres of corn and beans on each of my 3 farms.  I could not imagine.

:)

But caution to small corn and bean plots...deer will find them and target them.  They LOVE those little greens coming up and will nip them right off...resulting in no corn or bean plot.  I have had very poor success with corn/bean plots under an acre and a half (football field and a half).  I can litterally see where the deer come out of their bedroom areas and start grazing...the farthet end of the field might have some standing corn, otherwise it is all grazed off too hard to amount to anything.

This is just a caution...so if you see your plants grazed you know what is going on.  It comes down to safety in numbers and I really try to get to 2 acres or more ideally 3 acres for my corn/bean plots.

You need to get 4 of those little planters and then connect them to a tool bar that connects to the back of you ATV so you can have a 4 row planter.  :)

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
DR.  you are very right. I planted 5 rows around 2 sides just as a screen this plot is a metro plot. IF the deer don’t eat it too fast I am just trying to make them feel more secure in day light hours. Had the seed and planter so it costs nothing to try.

I do things the hard way most of the time, but even I would not use this for an acre of corn. But you never know  :whistling:

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
Update-- things are looking good on the large plot. the small one will get sprayed and seeded in a week or two. I am very happy with this first year plot