Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer hunting while bear hunting  (Read 2669 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Hopefully I will get drawn for my bear lisense this year.  Where we have had a bear bait station set up(close to a swamp), there is also a deer trail about 20 yards behind my stand.  The trail and bait station are 40 yards apart.  The question that I have is can I shoot a deer  from this stand while I'm bear hunting over bait? 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Hopefully I will get drawn for my bear lisense this year.  Where we have had a bear bait station set up(close to a swamp), there is also a deer trail about 20 yards behind my stand.  The trail and bait station are 40 yards apart.  The question that I have is can I shoot a deer  from this stand while I'm bear hunting over bait? 

I wouldn't. And are you shooting the bear with a bow?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Thinking about it.

Make sure you have a powerful sidearm handy  ;)

:scratch:  Im not sure about the regulations on that, it sounds like something you wouldnt be able to do, but i am not sure!  I would ask a CO.... or someone else that might know. 

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
well that is tricky. i do think however you can if its with the same weapon with no sidearm because if your deer hunting your not allowed a sidearm its because you could possibly shoot a deer with it out of season. (not saying you would) i think its completly legal and that would be something if ya got a double in one morning your bear then your deer or vise versa

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
Yes you can, However keep in mind like said earlier. No firearms while archery hunting deer. Also the seasons are about 2 weeks apart. The odds are that if you don’t get your bear in the first two weeks. It ant going to happen anyway. I did get one in late season before however the odds are. So basically I would bear hunt with weapon of choice until archery opens then I would archery deer hunt with a bear tag in my pocket. Just in case one comes around, just be careful on your bait and don’t use “deer attractant” bait (read the deer bait reg’s)
 Good luck and post the pics of a bear and deer hanging together
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the input guys.  I will talk to the local CO before doing it to make sure his interpratations of the law are the same as mine.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This one had me scratch'in my head  :scratch:

My first reacion would be no, because of the reasoning of what bowhunter73 said. (Thought the same about the bait)

So, I sent a e-mail to my buddy...he's a old time CO...
When I get it back, I'll post what he said.

He's on vaca now...so it might be a little while.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!