Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Who else is planting??  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
So who else out there is planting and what are you planting?? Join in the conversation. We can all learn something from each other!There is a lot of visitors in this forum. If we all shared a little imagine how much more exciting it would be!

This year I am hunting 3 areas of the state. The first area is the Taylors Falls area. It is where I started hunting and am going back to my roots. I shot my first deer with gun there and my first deer with bow. I have a lot of great memories in that area and look forward to spending a lot more time there. As far as food plots there...none. The land is farmed so there is a lot of food. There is a clover, beans, corn and a mix that I am not sure of. The next area I hunt is Red Wing. I only made three trips down last year but saw deer each time out. That to is farm land with corn and beans so no food plots there, couldn't if I wanted too.

The last area I hunt is the north metro. This year I plan on putting in two small plots in the middle of the woods. There are two prime areas that are basically clear and just need to be worked. There is also some ag in the area but I want something on the properties I hunt to draw them in. As of right now I plan on doing two small brassica plots. I will probably start next week by bringing in a brush hawg and cutting everything out and down. After I get everything cut we will spray it and let it sit. I'll wait two weeks and then head in with rakes. Its a small enough area that if I spend a day out there with a buddy we can rake it out pretty good. Once that is done and we get the dead off of it plan to work the ground a little bit with maybe a disc.... thats all we have access to so not much of a choice. Also, by then the soil samples will be back and I also will apply lime if needed and anything else we need. I do want to break up the top a little with that and then spray one last time, wait another two weeks and then rake and plant. I figure this will put me into July and I would ideally like to plant right around the 15th of July hopefully no later. I want to wait and let the weather and rain to dictate that.

After reading Big E's post about winter rye he has the gear turning.... maybe I can split the plots. Make one rye and the other a brassica mix.... who knows. This is all subject to change once I get out there and start  ;D

So what about you! What are your plans this year???

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well, I've got one new plot already stumped out and sprayed once. I've been waiting for it to stop raining and a calm day to spray again. This plot was full of buck brush and old growth rassberry plants (tuff stuff to kill) I wanna make sure it's all killed off before I get in there and disc it up. I'm planning on putting rye in there....or if they make up their mind...RR alfalfa....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I thought I was pretty much done after planting most plots in clover last year.  Then Big-E goes and gives me a bag of sugar beat seeds so now I may have to spray and work up another area for them.  Should be a fun expierment to see them grow and how the deer react to them.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
My deer hunting camp is in ND on the Missouri river bottoms.  We have LOTS of corn and a feed lot on the south border so deer go there every night.  Its like having a big continous deer feeder going.   Im planting some Small burnet  prob the last week of May that I ordered from Food Plot resources to see how it does.  Reseeded a clover plot for turkeys and deer two weeks ago.  Working on a couple new small plots this summer to get ready for next spring to try turnips like you guys use in minnesota will prob put winter rye in them in august.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
well we got an early start, we planted just before the wet week and cold temps. we did most of the work last fall then used a disc this spring. have a few brassica-s popping up now. we lucked out with the cold weather. most haven't germinated yet, but its been a couple weeks and lots of rain so I'm hoping the cold weather just slowed it down and that they will sprout up soon. we planted a mix of brassicas chicory and clover. keeping my fingers crossed that the warm weather will kick start it now that its soaked for so long.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!