Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: preparing squirrels?  (Read 9518 times)

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just started keeping squirrels this fall and wondering what are some good ways to prepare them for the plate? The only thing I have heard is after boiling them make a wildrice stew with them in it. Lets hear some good recipies you guys got?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We just 1/4 them up, and fry um in a pan with flour, salt and pepper.  :chef:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
still boil them first?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, we don't boil um...just cook um slow.

Just dredge um in the flour mixture and fry...just like a fish filet...just slower
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Oh yea, I forgot...the wife cooked um in a slow cooker a few times with chicken stock and a soup mix...that was pretty tasty too!

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It sounds like frying them will be the quickest as I am gonna be cooking them for a Game Feed.

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just grill em on indirect with salt, pepper, and a bit of lowrys.

MmmMMmm

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
crock pot, crock pot, crock pot...

potatoes, carrots and some Campbells soup (cream of mushroom, celery, what ever) cook them til the meat falls off the bones.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
slow and low is the key
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Just dont cook them the Okie  :fudd: way.... thats to keep the head on the body so you can eat the squirrel brains.  There have been documented cases of hunters getting the equivalent of Mad Cow disease from eating squirrel brains down south.. :bonk:

Offline MnSportsman

• Outdoorsman
2-3 Squirrels cleaned & cut up
Soak a few hours or overnite in salted water to reduce blood. Pour off water & rinse.
6-8 minutes in a pressurecooker with 1/2 to 1 cup Chicken broth/boullion. & if ya want add some onion/garlic powder or the real veggies. Even some salt & pepper if ya like...or wait til after...
Eat. or debone & make into a soup/stew..
Tastes like chicken lol

Just learned that method a year ago , used to panfry/crockpot & even BBQ them, but I like the pressure cooker way the best. Wished I had one years ago.
G'luck & have fun.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Just dont cook them the Okie  :fudd: way.... thats to keep the head on the body so you can eat the squirrel brains.  There have been documented cases of hunters getting the equivalent of Mad Cow disease from eating squirrel brains down south.. :bonk:
Isn't it the other way around corny? It seems to me you must have Mad Cow first in order to want to eat squirrel brain.
« Last Edit: January 01/08/11, 08:38:06 AM by kenhuntin »
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well i have more than enough squirrels I might just try acouple of these. I am gonna need a way to sneak them in somewhere for the fiancee to eat them, one of these should work. ;D  She refuses to eat wild game, even grouse...

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Get er' to try some pheasant Upland, best bird out there sides grouse and turkey.

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Are all squirrels OK to eat?
When I was younger I brought a red squirrel home asking ma to cook it. She claimed she was told not to eat red squirrels for one reason or another.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah I have tried everything from Grouse, Pheasant, Duck, Goose, Dove, the only thing she will eat is heavily battered deepfried fish. Oh well more for me I guess... LOL

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah I have tried everything from Grouse, Pheasant, Duck, Goose, Dove, the only thing she will eat is heavily battered deepfried fish. Oh well more for me I guess... LOL
Mine is the same way. She won't eat that "rocket fuel natural protein" but will eat a chicken that has had it's feet stapled to a board fed by a conveyor belt brimming with growth hormones and feed.
 Fast food to her is not a mallard but a big mac.
 I feel that alot of women lack the conservationalist gene.They do not understand that hunting seasons and limits are determined by the excess populations of which an ecosystem can provide for.
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is the same way. She won't eat that "rocket fuel natural protein" but will eat a chicken that has had it's feet stapled to a board fed by a conveyor belt brimming with growth hormones and feed.
 Fast food to her is not a mallard but a big mac.
 I feel that alot of women lack the conservationalist gene.They do not understand that hunting seasons and limits are determined by the excess populations of which an ecosystem can provide for.

My wife is the same way, but she never grew up around it.  She's a city gal from Duluth and no one in her family hunted or fished.  On the other hand, my kids love it.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My fiance is like Big Reds wife, just never grew up around hunting or willd game, so she just stubborn and says she wont eat it. I took her out grouse hunting this last fall and she brought a camera along and took pictures for a class she had but she doesnt enjoy the nature very much. What she calls camping is pulling a massive RV into a camp site and being pampered :queen: , when I think of camping I think of grabbing just my sleeping bag, a cook kit and whatever i can fit for food, beer and sleeping underniether the stars. Hopefully get a little runt around soon so they can share a passion for the outdoors as I do. :happy1:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well goldielox isn't against eating wild game but she sure is fussy about it. Only likes panfish and walleye. We cut up our own deer. I bone it out and bring the stuff into the house where she does the trimming an cleaning. She don't trust me to trim as she thinks I leave too much junk on it when in reality she takes too much off. She likes turkey and pheasant but don't care much for waterfowl.

Now me on the other hand I eat absolutly anything or at least try it once. I just grew up that one doesn't let anything go to waste. I have always scaled my panfish until she refused to eat them with the skin on. Now that I don't get as the flavor is in the skin. Anyway enough with my ramblings and to the point. They will eat it if they don't know it.

I got mine to eat beaver. What I did was to clean it real well and grind it up. Then I took some of the ground up lard left from when we had a hog butchered and ground that in with the beaver.
I packaged it in the same bags that the butcher uses and packs our burger in. Now to make sure she don't catch on I told her I was grinding up some of them venison roasts into burger which I did also. That way when it don't taste like beef it's not an issue. So now we have burger in the freezer that could be beef, venison or beaver but nobody knows which until we open the bag(including me). Venison and beaver are darker. She don't know beaver is in there at all but it was about 45 pounds of free burger. I still don't know if it's beaver or venison.
« Last Edit: January 01/14/11, 07:15:34 AM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
You do not feel at all guilty for tricking her into eating beaver?
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Should I? Others have asked me the same thing. She likes it OK.

So the way I look at it is this. She wouldn't have tried it if she knew what it was. If I could have talked her into it, which wouldn't be impossible she wouldn't have tried it with an open mind. She already knew it was going to be different and therefore a mindset that it prolly wouldn't be good. So now she likes it and I don't see what the difference is at this point. If she would have said said something to the effect that it taste funny or don't taste the best, I wouldn't do it again.

That is something alot of people can't do is try something with an open mind. Case in point if I cooked up some skunk how many people would/could honestly try it with an open mind? Do I cook up skunk? NO. Have I? NO Yet I have ate it, it taste like coon. I was at a stew feed once where the guy used skunk for meat in the stew. Now there were about 50 people there and all thought the stew was good. There were 3 of us that knew what was in it. The guy who put the feed on, the chef and the guy who cleaned the skunks. Incase your wondering I'm the one who cleaned the skunks. Should I feel guilty about that? Nobody was told what it was other than stew and nobody asked what was in it. It was stew an they liked it what's the problem.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just to clarify my previous post I wasn't trying to trick her into eating something that she didn't like. Rather just getting her to try something with an open mind. I think there is a big difference but I realize not all will agree with me on that.

So you coming to my stew feed this summer ;D?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you watch her eat the beaver? I do not know how I would react to my girl experimenting like that.
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have eat'in skunk before, and thought it twer'nt to bad....and I knew what it was, cause I cleaned it.  ;)

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wouldnt feel guilty at all if I could do something like that but mine will only eat something from the store or from there butcher that they buy 1/4 of a cow from every yr.  You think little squirrel jerky bites would turn out ok? I think that will be a good way to make her try it. I can just tell her its from a local meat market.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I think jerky could fool just about everyone no matter what it's made from. On that note I think anything properly prepared could be good, just not that everyone knows how to prepare it all.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
very true GRIZ, I guess if people can make amazing goose jerky it wouldnt be had to mad amazing squirrel jerky.lol

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
How to prepare squirrels!

Well I usually like to gather them all together and sit them down, I usually try not to shock them as we know that an event can change their little lives, well anyone's life for that matter. O wait my wife is tugging my shirt sleeves, it seems this string is about preparing them to eat...   :sorry: My mistake
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes BB it did get off topic. It did however get back on the topic by going to squirrel jerky.
~Thomas Jefferson