Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minnesota Deer Hunters Association compiling hunter names  (Read 1809 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Minnesota Deer Hunters Association compiling hunter names
Although no late season hunt is planned, there may be limited opportunities for hunters to assist with winter deer surveillance. The Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA) is currently compiling a list of individuals who would be interested in possibly participating with a landowner shooting permit.

While most landowners currently have hunters who have permission on their land, there may be very limited opportunities for some individuals. If you are interested in getting on a list, send an email to the MDHA.

In the email, include the following information:

Name, address, city, state, zip code
Contact phone number
Email address
Availability
Every Day
Weekdays only
Weekends only
If a landowner accepts a shooting permit and does not have individuals who can take deer, that landowner will work directly with MDHA to identify individuals. If selected, the landowner will explain the restrictions and what you can and cannot do.

Please do not call the DNR information center or a DNR office asking if you will be selected for this opportunity or the rules if you are selected. That will be explained if you are selected.

General Information
The Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization state that there is no scientific evidence that CWD causes human Illness; however, precautions should be taken to minimize exposure.

Do not shoot, handle, or consume any animal that is acting abnormally or appears to be sick.
Contact your local DNR office or the general DNR information line at 1-888-646-6367 if the animal appears sick.
Wear latex or rubber gloves when field dressing your deer. Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
Bone out the meat from your animal. Don't saw through bone, and avoid cutting through the brain or spinal cord (backbone). Minimize handling of brain and spinal tissue.
Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
Avoid consuming brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes. Normal field dressing coupled with boning out a carcass will remove most, if not all, of these body parts.
Avoid consuming the meat from any animal that tests positive for the disease.
If you have your deer or elk commercially processed, request that your animal is processed individually, without meat from other animals being added to meat from your animal.
Transportation and Processing
Proper handling and refrigeration is necessary to prevent decomposition of the carcass and minimize the growth of potentially harmful bacteria. This will reduce the risk of food-borne illness due to consumption of contaminated meat.

Drag the deer with the back or side down to minimize contamination of the meat. If possible, drag the deer on a tarp or use a deer cart.
Keep the carcass cool during transport to the locker plant.
Transport the carcass to the locker plant as soon as possible. If the carcass cannot be taken directly to the plant after harvest, it must be stored at a temperature of less than 41 degrees F.
Rinse the carcass with cold water prior to storage to remove debris and bacterial contamination.
When transporting the deer in a vehicle, pack the body cavity with ice to promote additional cooling.
Allow for adequate air circulation around the carcass and keep it out of direct sunlight and warm temperatures during transportation and storage.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Shame on the DNR and shame on MDHA for supporting them.

This will accomplish absolutely nothing.

I just don't get it  :scratch:
« Last Edit: February 02/24/11, 03:00:02 PM by MNO »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess they could pay sharpshooters to do the job or have hunters do it for free.  This comes up every time there is a need to reduce the poplulation of deer, elk, etc in an area such as a park or game refuge.  I think it's a good idea to allow hunters to do the job and not pay sharpshooters.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I just don't agree with the way they are handling this whole deal. Next fall they could of tested as many deer as they wanted to by hunters hunting deer.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
And they are paying sharp shooters. I can't pull the article because I am doing this on my phone but read an article that the sharp shooters are there and its going to cost 400k.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
MNO,
They do not want to wait until next fall because the deer are currently yarded up for winter.  In a month or so the deer will disperse back to summer area.  The DNR wanted to take advantage of this opportunity.  I also don't agree with hiring sharp shooter if enough hunters can be recruited to do the job.  That is why MDHA is attempting to match hunters with available permits.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***