Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muskrat problems!!!  (Read 17533 times)

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Alright trappers, I need some advice here.  Here's my situation:

Over the winter, the :censored: muskrats burrowed into our yard on the pond edge and have left behind huge holes.  With the warm weather, the sod has collapsed in two spots.  One spot is 3 feet in diameter and at least 2 feet deep.  The second is 18 inches in diameter and 2+ feet deep.  The burrow entrance was right under the ice pack and they torn it up.  Worst part is, my kids' play set is 6 feet away from the holes.

I can shoot them (not legally but I will), I cannot poison them (neighbors dog and lots of little kids), no snare traps(dog and kids), so I guess I'm left with a "living trap"(I will dispatch them eventually). Ideas? Sizes? Cost? Anyone want to come over and trap for free or beer at least?
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
You might be able to get a nuisance permit.  I know deadeye got one to take care of some troublesome beaver.

See the link below.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=20525.0
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline bonecollecter82

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What makes a BoneCollector?
They are the hunters that have the passion to go to the ends of the earth, in pursuit of the basic hunter instincy that was instilled in us at birth and is so often taken away in society.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We had a simular issue a few years back.  It was a road crossing a small swamp to access fields beyond.  The road would collaps as they burrowed into it.  I don't know how the edge of your pond is, but we laid a chain link fence along the bank, above the water line extending down into the water.  No problems since.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page638.html

Thanks for the link!

We had a simular issue a few years back.  It was a road crossing a small swamp to access fields beyond.  The road would collaps as they burrowed into it.  I don't know how the edge of your pond is, but we laid a chain link fence along the bank, above the water line extending down into the water.  No problems since.  

They dug underneath my chain link fence.  I may need to pick up a roll and see if that helps.  I assume they stopped digging because the couldn't get through the fencing right?  Or what if I used a different type of wire fencing?
« Last Edit: April 04/05/11, 03:11:39 PM by Go Big Red! »
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
bow?? broad head? judo tip? Shh??
« Last Edit: April 04/05/11, 03:27:02 PM by lentz »

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
i dont know any thing about muskrats but could you fill in the hole and then put a pice of steel on the holes and put sand bags ontop so they cant come out and they would go bye bye in the ground and stay there

They'll dig right around that.  Tried it already.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It was a road edge with water on one side.  We just rolled out the chain link fence on the bank of the road with most of the chain link under the water.   I believe it was 4 feet high so with say 6 inches out of the water that left 3.5 feet down the slop of the road. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
For one I am not shur if you would need a permit to take them. If you had someone else come in and do it for you then yes you would or they would.

Two ways of trapping them comes to mind. Without having seen the situation it's hard for me to say forsure. The first comes to mind is a colony trap in the water in front of the den entrance. Basically it's a live trap underwater that can make multiple catches at once but no the rats wouldn't be alive when you got there. One wouldn't have to worry about kids or pets either with these.

The next one coming to mind would be a float which works real well this time of yr. The chances of kids are basically none an a dog is also unlikely but not entirely impossible.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz-

The rats dug the burrow and tunnels I believe just after our pond iced over for the winter months.  I found the den entrance (Approx 8-12 inches below the water line) and two branch tunnels off of it.  Both areas have now collapsed in due to the ground warming up.  Very sandy soil to so easy digging and not much weight needed to cave in.  I have considered the colony trap but with the tunnels collapsing, I doubt they use it anymore.  I will need to find the other den in the pond.  Tell me more about the floating trap please.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://jayme220.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=archive&action=display&thread=21

The one I use most is most similar to #14. They seem to work best when there is still ice out on the pond and it's just thawed around the edges 15-20 feet.
« Last Edit: April 04/06/11, 08:40:51 AM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

The one I use most is most similar to #14. They seem to work best when there is still ice out on the pond and it's just thawed around the edges 15-20 feet.

We don't have much ice left.  After today, probably none.  Do you think a floating trap will work w/o ice?

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
have you tried sitting down with the muskrat leader and discussing your issues before turning to violence? maybe you could put a camera in their den and learn from them.  :rotflmao:

If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
have you tried sitting down with the muskrat leader and discussing your issues before turning to violence? maybe you could put a camera in their den and learn from them.  :rotflmao:

how would you go about getting the camera in the den?

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman

Yeah, Big Red - you should know, Diplomacy is the only way to get anything resolved.  :rotflmao: Politely ask them to quit messing with your stuff, if that doesnt work - your will just have to move, cause its they wont be going anywhere   :doah:

I think this calls for a CADDY SHACK moment - get the dynamite!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

Please refrain from commentary until the sporting clay season begins.  Thank you for your support.

:moon:

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

how would you go about getting the camera in the den?

Oh lentz, it was a joke.  Kids these days....   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  But why do you come over and try to put a camera in a den for me?  We could shoot a MNO special on "Muskrat Lentz".   :rotflmao:

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
do they bite scratch and not let go?

if so ill try but ill have my parents cancel my insurance and you can pay for the rabies shots?

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
get fire works that are water proof and throw them in the den they run out and you have someone with your weapon of choice ready if they ask what the bang was say i farted  (SHHH)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
As I recall muskrats don't really have leaders in the conventional sense. Their form of government is more like a commune, all for one and one for all. However muskrats are assigned a mentor at a very young age. I studied muskrats in college.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
As I recall muskrats don't really have leaders in the conventional sense. Their form of government is more like a commune, all for one and one for all. However muskrats are assigned a mentor at a very young age. I studied muskrats in college.

I thought I told you to stop smok'in that stuff?  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Just play this over and over... They will leave.

randy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y&feature=related
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
muskrats suck. a guy I shoot with gets his 22 bullets from some place in australia.. these don't have a casing and don't make a sound according to him. never seen em, can't find em on the web.. but it would be nice to have something like that.  my 10/22 has a heavy barrel and a flash suppressor on the end.. doesn't sound like much more than a firecracker
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Just play this over and over... They will leave.

randy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y&feature=related

i downed the song because it annoyed me

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman

Everytime I read this I crack up (not like nut-house crack up but laugh-really-hard crack up).

:rotflmao:
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

Everytime I read this I crack up (not like nut-house crack up but laugh-really-hard crack up).

:rotflmao:

Typical beeker fashion.... 

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just kidding.. everyone knows you can't negotiate with a muskrat.  woodchucks on the other hand, they're very open to discussion.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just kidding.. everyone knows you can't negotiate with a muskrat.  woodchucks on the other hand, they're very open to discussion.

[youtube]DjGwusHrOtk[/youtube]

Im not sure, Woodchucks can be pretty mean too.... dang things dont listen either!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman

beeker you're killing me...   :rotflmao:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman

We don't have much ice left.  After today, probably none.  Do you think a floating trap will work w/o ice?

Yes they work well yet.They are hammering them out in SD. Many guys are getting 300-400 a day right now with floats.
I have been putting up rats for a buyer who's been picking them up out thereand it isn't even funny when he comes up with a trailer of 9500 rats on sunday afternoon and going back out the nextday. So if ya want to learn how to skin rats fasterI know someone who will be willing to pay ya while ya learn.
~Thomas Jefferson