Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR teams with local anglers to provide state park fishing opportunities  (Read 936 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
DNR teams with local anglers to provide state park fishing opportunities
(Released May 9, 2011)

Local anglers and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) have teamed up again this year to provide state park visitors with weekly angling opportunities through the I Can Fish! program.

I Can Fish! sessions, which are scheduled throughout summer at state parks across Minnesota provide a place to fish, equipment , bait and expertise to help even the uninitiated catch fish. These events are often on the same day each week.

“The goal is to provide multiple fishing opportunities for people who want to learn how to fish, be they young or old,” said Mike Kurre, DNR mentoring program coordinator. “The more people fish, the more they like to fish and the more they want to fish. That’s especially true for kids.”

Anyone of any age can participate in the free I Can Fish! sessions, which are offered from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend at selected state parks. Local anglers, park visitors and people passing through to other destinations are welcome.

A state park employee meets I Can Fish! participants at a designated fishing pier or shoreline. Along with rods and bait, participants receive basic angling instruction and information about aquatic habitat and fish species from DNR MinnAqua Nature Corps staff and local volunteer anglers. The rest of the time is dedicated to a hands-on fishing experience with knowledgeable people nearby who can answer questions and offer assistance.

Details on where and when I Can Fish! sessions are offered is available online. Unless a particular state park offers a session specifically targeting trout, participants do not need a fishing license regardless of age.

More than 1,400 children and family members participated in last year’s I Can Fish! program. People interested in volunteering their expertise to the I Can Fish! sessions should email Kurre at michael.kurre@state.mn.us.

For people who want to try fishing on their own, many state parks offer places to fish without having to buy a license. Park visitors are allowed to take fish without a license when shore fishing or wading on state-owned land within a state park. All limits and special regulations in effect for the body of water apply, and all vehicles entering a state park must have a valid daily or annual permit. Additional information is available online.

A number of parks also loan fishing equipment to visitors who fish within the park. The fishing kits include a rod, a reel and a stocked tackle box and can be used while in the park. Information on parks offering free tackle is available online.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!