Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: thinking about a plot  (Read 2074 times)

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
i want to have it for bow season i only want it to be about 15 by 15 whats a good plot to plant in late july or early august? (East Wisconsin)
i want it to come to its peak in october

is it to late to plant it or?
any help would be nice i cant wait tell  :Deer: :green archer:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Um... I guess we need more information....

Is it a sunny location?
Is it a low location? (wet, dry)
In the woods or on the edge of a woods?
15 X 15 feet? Yards? Acres?
Type of soil? (sand, clay, loam)
If it's in the woods, what type of trees are around? You will need to know because of acidity. (some plants don't do well with pine trees)

You can plant brassicas, clover, grain, rape etc late, and still have them ready for bow hunting.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well that's a pretty small plot but I would try brassicas because they produce the most tonage per acre than anything you can plant. Deer may hammer these and wipe them out in a plot that size. On the other hand they may leave them alone until after the first couple hard frosts. If the deer wipe them out you can go in an overseed Rye grain and peas in there and you will still have forage for the deer to eat later season.
 Plant your Brassicas now through Early August (earlier the better) that way you will have plenty of time to see how the deer in your area will react to them. If they do wipe them out you can seed Rye from mid Aug-Early Sept. Make sure you spray and kill the weeds. You can plant the same day you spray. It will not effect the seed.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Um... I guess we need more information....

Is it a sunny location?
Is it a low location? (wet, dry)
In the woods or on the edge of a woods?
15 X 15 feet? Yards? Acres?
Type of soil? (sand, clay, loam)
If it's in the woods, what type of trees are around? You will need to know because of acidity. (some plants don't do well with pine trees)

You can plant brassicas, clover, grain, rape etc late, and still have them ready for bow hunting.
yards
modderet sun
damp because will be close to creek
thin part of woods ( side of hill)
just dirt
no pines in that part

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Leech lake guide, Walker, Mn.
The outdoor pages in the Trib had an article about plots look at it.

Thay talked about Trophy radish for fall planting looked good.
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014