Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Plot suggestions  (Read 20726 times)

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
I checked a spot today where I frost seeded clover in Feb right before a snow and the clover is germinating like crazy
Hopefully it doesnt die off if it gets cold

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Keep us updated.  Maybe some pictures would be nice.  I never tried this method and would like to know how it turns out.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Ill get some pics this weekend
Went out today right before it rained and added 200 #s of pel lime ,  oats and a little bit of chicory.
Hopefully it all grows
If not its not a very big plot no biggie

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres an area I cleared out today its going to be a small secluded kill plot in a lower valley near the creek.

This is from in the stand

Heres the baby clover sprouting
Must of spilt a little

Its gonna be a good season
« Last Edit: March 03/24/12, 05:40:36 PM by The Leacher »

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Been keeping myself busy with hanging tree stands. This year Im gonna have 16 portables and 2 wood built gun stands. 13 down 3 to go

Heres a look at the plots I have ready waiting for warmth

Heres my valley plot
From north tree stand

South tree stand

Here the bottom trail plot
Looking from behind the ground blind

Heres the ground blind brushed in. Hoping it makes it to November

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres my biggest plot somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 acre (havent measured yet)

NW top plot
Heres a little pocket that will be clover tucked in the woods connecting to the bigger plot

Heres the rest of the plot you have to look closely to see the fresh dirt to the left of the crp

Ill be closing of the open field to the left and the crp to the right with plot screen to make me a nice funnel in between the fence line and the crp with food inside
Should be a good season
Only problem is now what am I gonna do when I smack my trophy opening day I aint gonna have nothin to do til gun season

« Last Edit: April 04/13/12, 11:20:01 AM by The Leacher »

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
I also got my soil test back
Im feeling luck my ph is 7.1 on 2 plots and 7.4 on the other

Im also blessed with some pretty good soil the test says I need no P at all and little bits of K

IM pumped to plant just waiting around

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Some good looking ground there Leacher!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, you really got a good jump on the planting.  As for nothing to do after shooting your trophy, I'm sure there are plenty other hunters willing to help out....... :whistling:

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
This year Im bringing my little cousin "16" out to get his first bow kill. Heck he hasnt even seen one in stand yet. I guaranteed him hes gonna at least see a couple opening weekend
Should be a fun season cant wait for rut Already

Offline kid #1

• Outdoorsman
Apply for the camp ripley youth archery hunt.  175 kids get in and they get to hunt with only other kids and their adult shaperones.
« Last Edit: April 04/16/12, 07:35:36 PM by kid #1 »
Make your first shot count, it might be the only one you get.

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Ide like to but I just dont have the time. The reason Ill be bringing him here is thats were I hunt and its close to home. No weekend trips for me until November and I have that all booked up for gun hunts in MN & WI.

Hey whens everybody gonna start planting there spring plots. Im thinking Im gonna plant crimson clover, oats and cow peas the first week of may. Does this sound safe???

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wildlife plots are usually planted for two reasons.  One is to actually provide food (longer term source, or early/late source) and the other is to attract them to a spot so you can kill them.  Of course this is very broad and I'm sure some people plant plots just to get out and do something.  I usually go for the least trouble and greatest value (tonnage) food source.  For this, it's hard to beat clover.  Easy to establish, lasts 4-5 years and provides a great food source well into the fall.  Nothing attracts deer like newly sprouted winter wheat/rye.  Planted in August or early September, the deer will flock to it as a new fresh food source.  As a bonus, it returns very early the next spring to once again provide a great early food source.  Disclaimer: I am NOT a horticulturist, biologists, deer doctor, agronomist, or any sort of expert in regards to food plots.  I’m just offering some suggestions on things I’ve learned over the years. 

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
All the plots I have setup are for different setups
 My largest plot being around 3/4 acre or so will be a feed plot that feeds 365 days a year. I of coarse have stand at the funnels that connect to the plot. This plot will be 1/2 brassicas and 1/2 winter rye, oats, peas, red clover and ground hog radishes. These will be planted in strips and rotated each season.

My valley plot will kinda be a little different it only being a 1/4 or so. Im still going to plant the same as the bigger plot but theyll be planted in blocks. Brassicas 40% rye combo 40% with a 10% white clover corner

The bottom trail plot will be a straight up kill plot. This spot has deer passing thru it everyday of the year. This plot will be winter rye and white clover and after this season will be a nice stand of pure clover

All the plots are going to be planted with crimsom clover, cow peas and oats the first week of may. I will till it under as a green manure for my fall planting.

This should get the deer flocking to the plots (hopefully) thru spring and summer and they should feel nice and safe in there secluded buffet

These are the first real plots Im doing. I got all the right equipment and I think I have enough no how we shall see. I learned everything I know from the internet its time to put it to the test

Ill keep posting up pics and progress as things go. I have the cams on the mineral sites snapping pics right now
« Last Edit: April 04/19/12, 03:38:37 PM by The Leacher »

Offline flowinggardens

• Outdoorsman
  I like that mixture , when were you going to put in the brassicas, was that also going in in may?  I did not see where you are putting these in are the up north or around the metro area?

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
The area is 15 mins east of prescott WI
All I am planting this spring is the annual clover, oats and peas
Brassicas go in july

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres some of whats going on at the farm

Clover and chicory that was frost seeded late Feb

Gonna mow the weeds next week and add some 0 0 60 fert to give it a boost

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres my valley kill plot
disced, seeded and culti packed waiting for rain

This has a mix of crimson clover, oats, beans and peas

From the south stand

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Here the bottom trail plot

Same seed used

From the stand

I have a 1/2 acres plot in between a fence line and a crp field that is planted as well. Didnt have time for pics. Ill be planting a screen on each side of the food plot to help them feel safe in day light

Offline flowinggardens

• Outdoorsman
The clover oats beans and peas, is that a mix you buy together or do you mix  it yourself? i have been looking for something like that.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
The clover oats beans and peas, is that a mix you buy together or do you mix  it yourself? i have been looking for something like that.

If I were you I would buy all your seed from your local feed mill. Save a ton of money and you can create your own mix if need be.

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
I bought it all from a feed mill and mix it myself. I really didnt want beans in the mix but thats the only peas they had mixed with beans.
Dont mix your clover with the oats. Spread the oats and peas first then pack then spread clover.
Im gonna get out today and see how things are going hoping I have some sprouting going on with the couple light rains I received after planting.
Ill get some more pics of the plots today and Ill get some pics of the bucks with there new growth as well

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres the plot today 7 days after planting clover and oats already sprouting

Bottom trail plot

Heres the 1/2 acre top plot its a little behind the bottom plot do to moisture doing the rain dance tho so we should be good

South to north

North to south

Heres the frost seeded clover plot after I cut the grass back

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
One more shot of the bottom trail plot coming in great

A couple of the pregnant does on the property

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres 2 weeks since planting and its germinating and growing with little rain

Just plated plot screen to seclude this plot

Heres the frost seeded clover plot about 5 days after I mowed the weeds
« Last Edit: May 05/22/12, 09:30:17 PM by The Leacher »

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Fawns are dropping antlers are growing ang the plots are moving along, things are good

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking great, thanks for the pictures. 

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Plots coming along

Heres an awesome picture

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman