Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: black powder discussion  (Read 2905 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
in a series of trades tonight.. I managed to wrangle me up a black powder.. (so much for making one this year).  now... wondering you good men can help me with the accessories.

what is essential? I have rifle.. need to go get the rest.

best place for rounds (thinking of shooting straight round ball with patch)
best powder? what do you like for drams?
starter tool? or just straight ram rod?
bore butter? 

I have a buddy that does it. but thought I would seek more opinions and then buy what I need.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You will need a starter pack including a short starter, capper, jag (for pulling patches), and cleaning brush and jag (the one the size for your bore).

It looks like it is a 50 Hawken in the traditional style. Nice choice. I would go with any reputable swaged round ball and patch to suit the rifle.

As far as powder goes, you will get criticized for any choice you make by some one that had a problem with your choice at one time or another.

If you use bore butter then do not use APP as it makes water and shots loosen up after a few rounds. The slime will run out of the bore after a day of shooting if not cleaned every few shots. APP cleans with water followed by an oil patch.

Pyrodex shoots well with bore butter and cleans well with soap and water followed by a bore butter patch. I personally use Pyrodex and bore butter on my in line gun. I also shoot saboted rounds but that is just a personal choice.

I hope this helps you on your journey to becoming a successful muzzle loading hunter.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Good eye.50 cal is right. Everyone has a preference. Thanks for the imput
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm with ray on the powder, been on that merry-go-round before....

I use pyrodex in mine as well. And if ya find a load that works, stick with it.
Just because of the obvious reason, different powders (loads) different results.
The fun part is finding something that shoots consistant.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
so is pyrodex the "caplet" looking deals? or is it granule? I looked quick and it would appear to come in both forms? which do you use? as a former artillery guy the caplets remind me of the old powder bags we would toss in the P shooters

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
The one thing that I learned the hard way on a deer was to make sure that the hole in the nipple is not plugged with crud.  Every time before I went hunting after that I would ram a straightened paper clip into the hole a few times to make sure the spark got to the powder.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I noticed one place had a "nipple wrench" that had a poker on the end of it. I'll have to get one of those for my "possibles" bag

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
so is pyrodex the "caplet" looking deals? or is it granule? I looked quick and it would appear to come in both forms? which do you use? as a former artillery guy the caplets remind me of the old powder bags we would toss in the P shooters

Pyrodex does come in both powder and pre formed pellets that are 30 or 50 grain. Once you have your load worked up you can decide if you can use the convenient pre formed pellets for 80-90-100 grain performance or if you need to use the powder. I prefer the pellets and load them in a quick shot pre loader. Insert bullet, load powder add cap to cover and snap shut. Then open, dump powder in, push bullet in and cap. With practice you can get to 30 seconds for zombie hunting. :rotflmao: :sorry:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
this isn't my zombie gun.. it's my conceal carry