Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1 deer state  (Read 2979 times)

Offline blabman

• Outdoorsman
The new deer regulations are out. Looks like for most of the state no doe permits will be issued. We will be pretty much a 1 deer harvest state this year.
« Last Edit: July 07/23/14, 05:36:04 PM by blabman »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Guess, I should stop feeding them....cause now we are "hunters choice"

Yup, the DNR has some smart boys work'in fer them.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My area went from intensive (5 deer) for the past 5-6 years to ONE deer this year.  I agree 5 is way to many but gee whizz, how could it change so drastically in one year?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Zone 172, where I hunt, went from 2000 doe permits to 500.  I like the change.  At least the DNR appears to have listened. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
My area went from intensive (5 deer) for the past 5-6 years to ONE deer this year.  I agree 5 is way to many but gee whizz, how could it change so drastically in one year?
yep I agree 100% and come next season there will be to many deer
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
257, been 1 deer for a while now used to be 5 then 3 then 2 now 1, weired how that came about, I aint college educated very well but even i saw that coming.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
yup.. 156. just a mile north of 157 which seems to be one of the few rifle zones that are still open to either
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline smsmith

• Outdoorsman

Gross mismanagement of our deer herd by the MN DNR...that's how.  It is time for an external audit of the MN DNR's deer management program, the science (or lack thereof) used, their estimating model and techniques, the fact there is no deer plan, the lack of model recalibration via aerial surveys (not used in northern MN due to tree cover), etc. etc. etc.

Contact your elected and let them know you would support such an external audit http://www.gis.leg.mn/OpenLayers/districts/

An audit like I mention is not designed to "punish" our DNR, but rather to assist them in finding discrepancies and to help them improve deer management.  It is a daunting task to manage the deer herd in a State as large and varied as MN, it is okay to bring in outside experts from time to time to make sure we are doing as well as we can.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
smsmith, 
I believe they do use aerial surveys to help recalibrate the deer density model.  I know they have flown a number of areas last winter. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline smsmith

• Outdoorsman
smsmith, 
I believe they do use aerial surveys to help recalibrate the deer density model.  I know they have flown a number of areas last winter.

Last year's aerial surveys in central MN were the first done in about a decade.  Aerial surveys need to be done every 4-5 years to ensure the model they use is accurate...that directly from Marrett Grund head DNR number cruncher.