Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Stainless prop  (Read 3528 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have never purchased a stainless steel prop and I am entertaining the idea. What pitch? How do you determine which one? Are there different brands?

Pro's and Con's?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Well one con is you hit a rock and instead of the prop bending you wreck internal parts.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well one con is you hit a rock and instead of the prop bending you wreck internal parts.

Tearing up a lower unit at Stoke's Bay would not be fun. My boat came with a stainless, but I just use it as a spare.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
I've had the same S/S prop on my smaller lund since 1976 and I love it.  I did have to have it re-hubbed once. Every time I buy a new motor I've kept that prop on it. :happy1: I also feel I've picked up a slight speed benefit with the S/S prop.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Please note these are NOT my words

How To Choose Stainless vs. Aluminum

Many boats are factory-equipped with aluminum propellers. Aluminum propellers are relatively inexpensive and suitable for general purpose use. Stainless steel propellers are more expensive, but are far stronger and more durable than aluminum.
If you are looking to improve the performance of your boat, upgrading to a stainless steel propeller is the most cost-effective way to get better handling, acceleration or top speed out of your boat.
Will a stainless steel propeller damage my lower unit in the event of an underwater impact? Mercury engineers, conducting underwater impact testing, found no substantial difference in the amount of torque transferred to the propeller shaft between an aluminum and stainless steel propeller. Mercury’s Flo-Torq II hub system is designed to give way during an underwater impact – protecting the outboard and still providing you the ability to idle home safely.

Here are some general rules
The question is, what is your max rpm currently with normal cargo load. What is your engine's max operating range?

If it's 5,000-5,500 rpm, and you are currently seeing 5300 rpm max, you'd want a 18" uncupped or a 16" cupped prop. If it's only 5100 rpm, you'd want a 17" uncupped or 15" cupped prop.

If it's 5,000-5,500 rpm and you are currently seeing 5700 max rpm, you'd want a 20" uncupped or an 18" cupped prop. If it's way up to 5900 rpm, you'd want a 21" uncupped or a 19" cupped prop.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***