Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: buckthorn  (Read 3346 times)

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
As I look out my back door all I see on the neighbors land is buckthorn.  He will never do anything about it.  I want to.  I won't have time the next 3 to 4 weeks.  What will work to get rid of it and when to apply it.  Wife and daughters want to fence it and get goats.  I said hell no so now I need to find other options.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
seen and read some articles about it. some couple in my area I live do a lot of this. they say to cut it off a couple inches above ground level then use a brush and apply roundup to the stub.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
A product called cross bow kills that  :censored:
It's what most highway departments use for the ditches.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
does that stuff kill everything else also ?? never heard of it, suppose you got to get it at a coop or something??????

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do you just spray crossbow on the leaves or do you have to apply to the stump?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, it kills just about everything. I haven't seen anything it didn't take out yet. It works best on buck brush when it's sucking in nutrients. So yes,  you can spray it on the leaves, or stump it and spray... either way.

Glenn, you get it at the co-op.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like I will be busy next spring after the morels are done.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
now.... all I gotz to do is remember the name!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: its tough when one gets old!

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Two ways to work on buckthorn.  If it's thumb size just pull it out and hang it in a tree.  Use TRICLOPYR on larger stems.  Just buy a product with Triclopyr do not mix, pour full strength in an empty spray bottle (think windex).  Now use a small machete to simply hack 4-6 times around the stem and spray the full strength above the cuts.  The plant will NOT come back next spring.  To prove it, tie flagging tape on the ones you do this to and check back next spring.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Deedeye, will the spray work anytime of the year or just in the fall?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 I bought a lot in 2004,It had been cleared in 1975 and ignored.The lot was so thick with buckthorn no one could walk straight through it.Had the DNR out to mark OHW for shoreline work and they said they never saw buckthorn that large.10-12 inches on the stump.I used roundup for poision Ivy and brush.
 I'd spray spring midsummer and fall as I pulled the small saplings.I found pulling and cutting the best,Pulled dont come back cut 6-8 inches off the ground and months later when sprouts come up off the stumps spray with roundup. I tried all above mentioned and roundup was cheapest and worked as well.Even Amine 400 worked.Everything needed multiple treatments and once the lot was clear I spent 1 1/2 years spraying the seedlings from all the left over seed over the years.
 The wood is hard and really nice looking reds in the grain. The lot is nextdoor to our home so it was easy to access.The cutting and treating the stump didnt work for me with any poision I applied months later the sprouts came out.I had cut most at ground level>MISTAKE! the ones left 6-8 inches sprouted out the top portion of the stump and were easy to spray and clip when dead ground level ones were tougher!
 All poisons have to be applied to green growing leaves,spring killed many but fall when the trees were storeing their sugars for winter just like lawn weeds is best
« Last Edit: October 10/29/14, 08:42:23 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
does that stuff kill everything else also ?? never heard of it, suppose you got to get it at a coop or something??????
Next time your down my way mention the crossbow I have a jug I will sell to you.No seearching around here I couldnt find it and ordered it.You want it?

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dakids, as Dew2 mentioned spraying with Roundup (glyphosate) does work but takes repeated applications and will kill everything where the spray touches.  These herbicides work best in fall when the plants are taking everything in rather than growing out.  Now is the best time to apply the TRICLOPYR in the cuts made on the stems.  The buckthorn absorbs the poison into the roots where it kills it over winter.  I have never used it in the spring/summer.   If you want the lot cleared then cut and paint the stump but I just let the dead plant rot on it's own.  Like I said, put some flagging tape on the treated plants and check back in the spring/summer.  Two people can do massive damage to a buckthorn patch in a short time.  One putting hacks in the stems and another using a squirt bottle to spray above the cuts.  Cutting, painting stumps and disposing of plants is a lot of work and a daunting task.       
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Next time your down my way mention the crossbow I have a jug I will sell to you.No seearching around here I couldnt find it and ordered it.You want it?
I might! only place I'd use it is the land I lease for bow and rooster hunting!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I might! only place I'd use it is the land I lease for bow and rooster hunting!
Tell ya what ole boy you'll have sticker shock when you see the cost!!! Google it and be prepared! I will sell cheaper than I paid,It will only sit here I have completed my task.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye on the lot I did 3/4 acre, nothing was growing on the ground,Buckthorn had it shaded out it was so thick.Bet I burned 4-6 cords of only BThorn, cept for the larger oaks,elms,basswoods,ash and a few boxelder