Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: gardening 2016  (Read 45128 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
good morning to you to Reb!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Why, good morning to you too, Glenn! Cock-a-doodle-doo!   :rotflmao: ;D

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dyhidrating more peppers tonight, Anaheim and Jalapeño.
Tomorrow will be Ghost and Scorpion.

Picking cukes for salad tonight. Have some late season peas coming along, I have some that will be added to the mix along with some radish.
OK HD how did you go about growing cukes this time of year>>>>>>>> planting some later????? I need to know this trick.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dyhidrating more peppers tonight, Anaheim and Jalapeño.
Tomorrow will be Ghost and Scorpion.

Picking cukes for salad tonight. Have some late season peas coming along, I have some that will be added to the mix along with some radish.
OK HD how did you go about growing cukes this time of year>>>>>>>> planting some later????? I need to know this trick.

Not sure what you mean smurf..... I  feed my plants a lot of crap and they produce into the fall
Cukes just need fertilizer, they suck a lot out of the ground. If it ain't there, they just die off.
I just took this pic today, and picked 3 more. Yup, they are coming to the end....but only if we get a frost.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So first what do you use for fertilizer? My cukes were toast by mid August. I know they like water to. Was just thinking you may have planted at different times??? :scratch:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Mine are still producing......well that was until I mowed them all over last night.  Now the only thing left is to dig the taters and till.  I usually leave the taters in the ground as long as I can.  Fertilizer I get from a turkey barn or I bring in a soil sample to the local plant and they mix me up what I need.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
G, i use to get manure/fertilizer from a turkey farm to but that appeared to have more by products then the good stuff so i quit using it. use to get cow dung but wholly hannah da weeds.

this year i am going to put all my maple leaves in these big contractor bags, add some water and used coffee grounds,  tie them shut and let them do the compost pile in a bag thing and spread in the spring!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cut down the early girl tomato plant a bit ago...picked 24 green ones, now wrapped in newspaper and put in a box downstairs to ripen slowly. Total early girls off one plant: 75!  And every single one was blemish free....darned good year, for getting such a late start.  ;D

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ONLY think left in my garden now is kalarabi and my wifes flowers in the flower bed i let her have!!!!!!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I still have tomatoes out.....supposed to freeze this coming weekend. Also kohlrabis, lettuce and beets. I won't dig potatoes for a couple weeks yet. They keep best in the ground.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Unless it's a hard freeze your kalarabi should Bo ok I would think. Last I heard it was supposed to be a frost

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got some cukes to pick, still have more peppers left, and zucchini......but, I  think it's time to pull the plug. Freezer, and the pantry are full enough for the year supply.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well the frost took care of my wifes hanging plants. got mayb5 6 kalarabi left in the garden. planted my garlic on sunday!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cut down the early girl tomato plant a bit ago...picked 24 green ones, now wrapped in newspaper and put in a box downstairs to ripen slowly. Total early girls off one plant: 75!  And every single one was blemish free....darned good year, for getting such a late start.  ;D

Checked on some of the green ones today that I wrapped and put away.....half are nice and ripe! Tastes like they just came off the vine; no discernible difference in on-the-plant ripening.  And to think years ago I didn't think you could do this, and threw the green ones away in the Fall.  :doah:

« Last Edit: October 10/18/16, 11:10:28 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Breaded fried green tomatoes are great!! Ever try em?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i have some cherry maters left as well as like 6 other maters................wont last till the weekend!!!!!!!!!! burp!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes, I did make some once. Just dipped 'em in flour and some seasoning, and into an oiled pan. Don't know if I did it right, but they were just OK. It was probably my method.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
holy goulash.................did my maple tree shed the leaves yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You have a maple tree in yer garden?!   :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the leaves blew into the garden..................makes it a garden topic!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :moon:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
    I did a couple of times this year, did em on the grill in cast iron, really good. I'll be doing them again.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Usually I pickle all my late season green tomatoes....this year I had none that didn't ripen in time.  :doah:

Fried green tomatoes are ok, but if I  have even more than I want to pickle...I deep fry um.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
so this is why glenn likes gardening...

2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Well gents the garden is done and the taters are dug.  I cut it down to 3 rows this year instead of 5 and planted half Yukon and half red.   Got a bunch of the same monsters as always.   

Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Datz a lotta spuds!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
This has been a great fall to garden. I am still eating Romaine lettuce, beets, kohlrabi, daikons, and broccoli.Looks like another warm week ahead. This has to be the longest gardening season I've seen here in 35 yrs. Love it. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.