Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Questions regarding Lake Pepin  (Read 4400 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
My hunting buddy and I are thinking about doing a weekend trip to fish Lake Pepin on the river.  I've done very little river fishing and am wondering if anyone can tell me some spots or techniques to try.  I've heard lots of horror stories about hitting those wing dams.  Is that a risk on Lake Pepin?  Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We're probably going or the opener or the third weekend in May.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I believe the wing dams are marked....been years since I've been down there.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Never done that area of the river.  Let us know how it goes. Post pictures.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
There should be good contour maps of Lake Pepin.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I will be picking up a good map.  I don't have GPS on the boat or on my phone, but my buddy has it on his phone.  Would the same techniques apply down there?  Vertical jigging, slip bobbers, Lindy rigs?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Early spring, there is a lot of debris floating down river. So I always stayed with vertical jigging. I did try lindy rigs, but alot of times they would get snagged up.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
As a riverrat on the Missouri...not much different than the Mississippi...as HD said  vertical jigging with a minnow is my go to thru june.  But I also pitch jigs with plastics quite a bit esp up on sandbars and often will out fish vertical jig/minnow.  Zoom is my favorite plastic for that.  By late may there may be a crankbait starting  not sure of the Mississippi but on the Missouri Salmo hornets are my go too.  On Leech its a Rapala shad rap.  If fishing below a dam use a 3 way sinker set up.. never know what you will catch then..

Offline Wyofish

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just moved to Caledonia, and I plan on fishing Pepin quite a bit this summer. Let me know how you do! Good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I just moved to Caledonia, and I plan on fishing Pepin quite a bit this summer. Let me know how you do! Good luck.
prime turkey hunting country.............and lotz of deer from what I hear!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info guys.  I'll have to pick up some heavier jigs.  I all most exclusively 1/4 oz. stuff.  As for turkey, I lucked into a spot in Lakeville.  The turkeys are thicker than pigeons down there.  The lady who gave me permission to hunt raises ducks and chickens for eggs, and the turkeys are literally flying into her pen, beating up all her birds, and eating her scratch.  She has to go out with a broom and run them out of the pens.  It will be a shoot, not a hunt.  She bought a little rat terrier and he's hell on those turkeys running them out, but even he can't keep up with them.  So for this spring my turkey blind will be a Rainbow Play System in her back yard next to the chicken coop.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
^^^^ that there,  is funny. .......I got a chuckle out of that!  :happy1: