Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lee is now an outlaw  (Read 43628 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Every time I open this thread.....I scratch my head......   :scratch:

I'm not gonna do it anymore!  tut_tut-3315.gif

:sorry: HD but, you just broke yer own proficy  :tut: It's OK doe cuz you would-a missed dis song bout  da worms!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+worms+crawl+in+song+lyrics&view=detail&mid=DCA6EF5EEE66CF1088B0DCA6EF5EEE66CF1088B0&FORM=VIRE
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

:sorry: HD but, you just broke yer own proficy  :tut: It's OK doe cuz you would-a missed dis song bout  da worms!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+worms+crawl+in+song+lyrics&view=detail&mid=DCA6EF5EEE66CF1088B0DCA6EF5EEE66CF1088B0&FORM=VIRE

A little birdy told me you were posting girly pictures again that are supposed to be in the saloon....so I had to look...  :tut:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

A little birdy told me you were posting girly pictures again that are supposed to be in the saloon....so I had to look...  :tut:

:bonk: Dat's what I get fur listening Glenn :angry2: Please don't tell Borgie! :whistling:

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
        Nice haul made dis mornin.

:coffee: ..
Last night was da wedder I've been waitin fur. Heavy storms, lightnin, and warmer temps. All dat stuff combined equals a crawler pickers dream. So, I hit da woods early dis mornin. Crawlers were all over da pavements. Da best part was dat day were startin ta grow larger den da last few trips I made dis spring. :happy1:

:popcorn: ...
I gathered up 260 crawlers being careful not ta cultivate dem smaller ones. Da crazy part is dat I collected all dem crawlers wit-out ever havin ta touch one or even bend over. Bout 6 years I created my crawler picker upper system and it works like a charm. When it comes ta building and repairing tings I'm not very skilled at dat stuff. :sad: However I have a tallent for makin something out a junk. :pouty:

:bow: ...
I'd explain what it looks like in da next week or so when my son stops buy. I'll have him take a few photos so I kin show ya's after he transfurs da photos ta me. Two days ago an (old fisherman) friend stopped by and I showed um how it works. He couldn't believe it and said he never saw anything like it before. :doah:

Right now I'm runnin out of space in da garage fridge ( it's where I keep my flats of crawlers.)
:doofus:

:happy1: ...
Good luck dis weekend on opener guys. Hey! and don't furget yer secret designated item fur yer contest photos. :bonk: No designated Item = NO POINTS!

Lee
Da Outlaw Bandit!
« Last Edit: May 05/09/19, 12:12:28 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hey Mr. Outlaw.................how many of  dem hot illegal immigrant worms do you use in a years time???????? dat last batch is like 21 and a half dozen????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like a black market operation in crawlers to me.   :police:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like a black market operation in crawlers to me.   :police:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i agree...............you know illinios and illegal activity and corruption!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
hey Mr. Outlaw.................how many of  dem hot illegal immigrant worms do you use in a years time???????? dat last batch is like 21 and a half dozen????????

Da lake I guide on is like Rockbass Hell! along wit da usual udder species. When I take out tree clients I have ta bring 22 doz crawlers. Sometimes we run mighty close ta runnin out! :doah: has never happened yet but close. :mad1:
« Last Edit: May 05/09/19, 02:59:48 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: maybe ya should keep some!!! fer fertilizer!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
22 Dozen in one day???   Somehow that must be contributing to Global Warming. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet I don't go through 1/2 that many all season. :scratch: It does seem like blowin 'em up will get the eyes to go here sometimes when other baits won't though. :happy1: Lots of leeches usually for me here.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet I don't go through 1/2 that many all season. :scratch: It does seem like blowin 'em up will get the eyes to go here sometimes when other baits won't though. :happy1: Lots of leeches usually for me here.
yea well...........iffin yea cant catch fish................ya dont need much bait!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
yea well...........iffin yea cant catch fish................ya dont need much bait!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:crazy: You'll have ta forgive Glenn :moon: fur dat post Gunner :bonk:

Now, on a serious note! Why Can't You Catch Fish? :confused:

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:crazy: You'll have ta forgive Glenn :moon: fur dat post Gunner :bonk:

Now, on a serious note! Why Can't You Catch Fish? :confused:
:tut: :tut: :tut: answerin dat would be  :offtopic: :offtopic: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: Too many of those LITTLE  :fish2: you catch if I use crawlers a lot. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: Too many of those LITTLE  :fish2: you catch if I use crawlers a lot. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
pile'em up!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: i make a mean pickled fish!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
But..... But......Butt ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:..........................those big crappies I'm usually after don't normally like crawlers. Yeah, I'll give ya that your pickled nords ain't bad & go pretty good with a couple :toast:. :happy1: I like to use minners for them here though.  :scratch:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
   Study cites impact of region’s worst invasive: earthworms

Spread of non-native worms is causing severe effects to forest soils, worsening drought and water quality.

:reporter; Posted October 13

:coffee: ......
Perhaps the most obvious change is the almost total elimination of the deep duff layer that used to be commonplace in Minnesota forests.”

:thumbs:......
REGIONAL— Concern about invasive species is widespread these days, and with good reason. Invasive organisms, from ash borers to zebra mussels, can have significant consequences for both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.

Yet one of the most harmful and pervasive of the invasive species lives all around most of us, affecting the ground on which we walk, the trees that grow around us, and even the quality of the water in our lakes. And, in most cases, we don’t even think ofthem as invasive species or recognize the dramatic changes they’ve brought to the region.

Earthworms, angleworms, or night crawlers may seem like part of the natural environment here, given that in most parts of northern Minnesota, these invasive worms are now found almost everywhere. :bonk: But that wasn’t always the case. The spread of these invasiveworms has happened gradually over the past century, facilitated mostly as worms became popular fishing bait. The invasion has spread from hot spots around popular fishing lakes to eventually encompass most of northern Minnesota. :doah:

Lee Frelich has reason to know about the impact of invasive earthworms. He’s a professor of forest ecology at the University of Minnesota and the lead author of a recently published article in the journal, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, that documentsthe extent to which the spread of non-native earthworms is fundamentally altering northern forests. :pouty:

:popcorn: .....
According to the study, European earthworms now inhabit more than 80 percent of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, and the presence of these invasive worms is creating a cascade of impacts, from increasing the susceptibility of forests to drought to creatingexcessive runoff to diminishing water quality in lakes and streams.

Perhaps the most obvious change, says Frelich, is the almost total elimination of the deep duff layer that used to be commonplace in Minnesota forests. That’s the result of aggressive feeding by earthworms, which consume and digest this kind of organic matter.According to Frelich, prior to the introduction of non-native earthworms, the leaf litter that covered the ground in northern Minnesota’s forests was often 6-7 inches thick, representing the accumulation of as much as 20 years’ worth of organic material.

Frelich, who has studied areas that invasive worms have yet to reach, said the difference between the forest floor in infested and un-infested areas is dramatic. Where earthworms still are absent or rare, the ground is spongy. “It’s literally like walkingon a memory foam mattress,” he said.

That layer of duff plays a significant role in many aspects of the forest ecosystem, according to Frelich. “The duff provides a lot of insulation, which means midsummer soil temperatures don’t get as warm. It also helps to retain moisture, like mulch inyour garden.” :happy1:

The loss of forest floor duff results in warmer soil temperatures and less retention of moisture, which makes forest soils more subject to drought. :doah: Frelich said the arrival of worms in any given location can usually be determined through tree core samples,which soon begin to indicate more drought stress. Frelich said he suspects, but has not yet confirmed, that the arrival of invasive earthworms was the primary cause of the massive birch die-off on the North Shore in the past 15-20 years, by making soils therewarmer and more subject to drying. :moon:

The loss of duff can also impact water quality. According to Frelich, the duff layer has traditionally helped filter rain and snowmelt and slow runoff. Once the duff is gone, the soil becomes harder and more subject to heavy runoff. “The other thing thathappens is there is more erosion of the soil and more leaching of important nutrients,” said Frelich. That includes both nitrogen compounds and phosphorus, which can quickly impact water quality by increasing the growth of unwanted algae. “Once the worms coveran entire watershed, it’s been shown it will impact water quality. And those impacts will worsen over time,” said Frelich.

And as nutrients in the soil are leached into nearby waterways, the availability of nutrients to plants in the forest is diminished, slowing the growth of many forest plants, including trees like the sugar maple by as much as 30 percent.

The duff also provided a hospitable seed bed for many tree species, like birch, sugar maple, or balsam fir, which appear to be declining in many locations as they’re replaced by species like red maple and white pine, which do better on hard, mineral soilsthan other species. The spread of red maple into northeastern Minnesota forests has been one of the most dramatic effects of the spread of invasive earthworms.

The disappearance of the duff has also affected the type of wildflowers found in northern Minnesota forests. According to Frelich, once-common forest wildflowers, like trilliums, are being replaced by sedges and grasses, which do better on the hard, duff-lesssoil now found on forest floors across most of northern Minnesota. :doah:

That’s why Frelich’s recent journal article refers to a “cascade” of effects from the introduction of invasive earthworms. “When you change the structure of the soil over whole landscapes, it will change ecosystem function in a lot of ways,” said Frelich. “It just cascades from one organism to the other.”

Given the widespread distribution of earthworms, the change to Minnesota’s environment is probably a permanent fixture, notes Frelich. Any effort to rid the soil of earthworms would likely impact other soil fauna, he said, causing even greater disruptionto the environment.

Keywords
earthworms, environment

Authors comment

This story has nothing to do wit actually "doin da worm" :doah:

:oops1:

Enlarge Photos....fur best viewin :happy1:

:Photography:
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 02:27:49 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
See? "Non-native" worms.....diversity!!!!!!!!! :censored: :doah:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
I am gettin ready.... ta get ready..... already "I am" talkin Big thunder storms ta-night. Goin out  now ta -da garage and gettin my worm farms started. Usually wit da rise-in temps combined wit some late night storms we talkin da kickoff mornin fur crawlers. Dat's if da winds don't dry off da pavements to fast :doah:

First few hunts will produce mostly small crawlers. I try ta be picky bout my pickin. Dat's cuz I'm a picky picker. :embarrassed: I could collect tons of crawlers during da first invasion. But, dem ain't da ones I'm searchin fur.  Me likes dem fat juicey buggers!

In a nudder week er two is when dem boys start ta fatten up. :scratch: ( I'm already startin ta drool just tinkin bout it!) :rolleyes:

I'll keep yaz posted.....

LEE  Da Night Crawler Bandit
« Last Edit: April 04/06/20, 01:28:04 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: :banghead: :banghead: here we go again!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck Lee and happy huntin  :happy1: Spose dem park rangers have more important things goin on than checkin you fellers chasin your worm around waitin fer it to fatten up... :rotflmao:  :bonk:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck Lee and happy huntin  :happy1: Spose dem park rangers have more important things goin on than checkin you fellers chasin your worm around waitin fer it to fatten up... :rotflmao:  :bonk:
AHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :sleazy: :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
    Just Got dis bad news!

:taz:How da hell am I pos-ta be da crawler bandit when der shuttin down :angry2: vehicle parkin at da woods on Fri,Sat & Sundays at all da Crook County preserves.

:pouty: 
« Last Edit: April 04/25/20, 06:55:26 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just have ta go during the week I'd say.....  just sayin..........................
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
just have ta go during the week I'd say.....  just sayin..........................

:popcorn: ....

Ya dat's da plan fur sure :happy1: But, now I'll have ta pray fur rain only on Monday tru Thursday!
:doah:

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused: :pouty: :pouty: whine, piss an moan!! :pouty: :surrender: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
First chance ta get out early today!  Kin ya say: "heavy all night rains" = night crawlers

:popcorn: ......
Managed ta scrounge up 265 decent crawlers after all da rain kept on & on & on!

:coffee: ....
So, as I was busy collecting dem brown beauties I noticed a car pull in and park next ta mine at da woods. I was quite a distance away from him. He opened his hatch and took out his fishin stuff. He took off towards da path ta da lake. When I was ready ta pack it in fur da mornin I headed back ta da car. His car was parked next ta me. I noticed da sound of an engine run-in. :scratch: It weren’t mine and den I saw da fisherman's car wipers moving. Sure enough his car was left running.  :doah:

:bonk: ....
Dis guy was so excided ta walk out to da dam ta fish, he forgot his car was still run-in. He was nowhere in sight. I figured I'd follow da path he took and find him. Little did I know how far it was ta da dam. :banghead: I walk wit a limp and have a bad knee. :violin:

After goin farther den I should have a young jogger was head-in  towards me. :happy1: I flagged um down ad told um dat I won't make it ta da dam ta tell dis guy. I asked if he could go back about a half a block and tell da guy his silver suv was still run-in? :confused: Da young jogger said dat da guy probably knows his silver suv is running. Den he just started run-in away! (tanks fur Nitin :moon:   hole) Once I reached da fishin area I told 2 fishin guys what happened and day sad dell head down along dam ta tell dis guy bout his SUV. :happy1:

I was kickin myself in da  :moon:  fur even caring bout da whole ting. Den I had ta walk all da way back ta my vehicle. Da best part was dat as I finished gettin all my crawlers a park ranger drove past me as I was heading out of da forest preserve in my SUV wit da mudder load of crawlers. :sleazy:
« Last Edit: May 05/04/20, 01:52:33 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: the adventures of da midnight worm wrangler!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

and kudo's for caring about da next guy bud!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :happy1: