Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Garden hose mender  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey all, I've seen a thousand varieties but are any better or worse than the others?  I'm going to have constant pressure through the hose to the camper so I want to make sure I get a fitting that will last.
Thanks,

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 I've never seen one last long!! all cheap chit.If the hose aint to long  just go to runnings in willmar and get a heavy duty farm rated hose.You'll probably never wear it out unless its cut!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've never seen one last long!! all cheap chit.If the hose aint to long  just go to runnings in willmar and get a heavy duty farm rated hose.You'll probably never wear it out unless its cut!!
would like to but are they rated for drinking water?  This is going into my RV tanks, and I need to cut it down into three lengths.  Two at about 5 feet and one 30-40

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
would like to but are they rated for drinking water?  This is going into my RV tanks, and I need to cut it down into three lengths.  Two at about 5 feet and one 30-40
OK what I,d do in that case is get 3/4 or 1/2 inch well pipe (I cant remember the name) I used it on my lot for renting to campers.Black PVC with great barbed fittings that take hose clamps.Its cheaper than good hoses easy to work with not real flexable but do you need flexability?
 I even installed a gate valve for shut down if needed and fall blow out.
 I got 30??40 ft  even more coiled layin in the reeds on the lots side 3/4s inch if ya want it its yers.
« Last Edit: May 05/23/16, 12:29:28 PM by dew2 »

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah I have that in the ground for the majority of the run, I still need small stretches of hose, one to go from the faucet to the PVC, then travels 80 feet through PVC, then a small hose from pvc to filter then filter to camper. 

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now that I think on it I may be better off just making one out of pex...

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now that I think on it I may be better off just making one out of pex...
scratch that.  Not rated for outdoors.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What? Pex ain't rated for outdoors?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
What? Pex ain't rated for outdoors?
NO sunlight deteriorates it.There is some brand that came out a few years thats rated to handle some ultra violate light ( I think its ultraviolet?) but it needs installed without sunlight,Mostly radiant floor heat

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
When we got a new basement under the old farm house I bought the best garden hose I could find to hook up a temporary water supply. I used a garden hose because I wanted something I'd be able to use after the project was done. I don't know if that hose is rated for drinking water but it didn't seem to kill any of us. I've drunk a lot of water out of garden hoses in my short life.  ;)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Cause I got some of that hose they use for sprinkler systems  & some pex. You can have if ya want it..sprinkler stuff can be exposed to Sun, but, I didn't know about the lex.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
When we got a new basement under the old farm house I bought the best garden hose I could find to hook up a temporary water supply. I used a garden hose because I wanted something I'd be able to use after the project was done. I don't know if that hose is rated for drinking water but it didn't seem to kill any of us. I've drunk a lot of water out of garden hoses in my short life.  ;)
Yah roonie that deserves a applaud!  Maybe I,m a auldphart but we never got sick,Runs or nottin from a garden hose.Just rente3d my lot and the kid asked if he could run a hose to his camper, All I know is if water sits in a garden hose it can taste different,We just flushed it out. and it worked fine.The thing now days in this area is to check for nitrates its nasty in our area!!

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Drank from the hose all the time but the wife doesnt want it for the kids...  I just bought a 5/8 rv hose... really supprised nobody makes a 3/4(that I could find).  I think another issue I might have is my water filter is likely slowing water flow...  Might be time to just throw down on a well and move into the 21'st century.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Giver an inch and she'll take eight.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Drank from the hose all the time but the wife doesnt want it for the kids...  I just bought a 5/8 rv hose... really supprised nobody makes a 3/4(that I could find).  I think another issue I might have is my water filter is likely slowing water flow...  Might be time to just throw down on a well and move into the 21'st century.
What ya got a sand point??? manganese is heavy in the areas water really fine and clogs filters easily. Its like black scum look at the filter.THEN Before you drop a few tho for a well do water tests off neighbors wells!!!! Nitrates are approaching the unsafe levels around here.I have 2 wells the most recent has been tested and shows high levels of  coliform bacteria and nitrate right on the edge of unsafe! We had sewer installed in 2011,now I here talk of hooking to Green lakes water system which is a treated filtered system. They say if the water reaches the nitrate max level the well will be sealed and unusable!! well was drilled in about 2009, 2008.
 My wells are at 78 ft the oldest and safest mid range nitrate levels drilled in 1982 an used daily.The one in 08 or so is 65 ft and close to being sealed!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 05/24/16, 03:13:41 PM by dew2 »

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What ya got a sand point??? manganese is heavy in the areas water really fine and clogs filters easily. Its like black scum look at the filter.THEN Before you drop a few tho for a well do water tests off neighbors wells!!!! Nitrates are approaching the unsafe levels around here.I have 2 wells the most recent has been tested and shows high levels of  coliform bacteria and nitrate right on the edge of unsafe! We had sewer installed in 2011,now I here talk of hooking to Green lakes water system which is a treated filtered system. They say if the water reaches the nitrate max level the well will be sealed and unusable!! well was drilled in about 2009, 2008.
 My wells are at 78 ft the oldest and safest mid range nitrate levels drilled in 1982 an used daily.The one in 08 or so is 65 ft and close to being sealed!!!!!!!!!!
We pump straight from the lake.  Wells in our area have always put out pretty clean water.  Average depth is just over 100 foot.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 MLR I had you mixed up with bobberingforeyes think thats his handle? Their on a lake near me DUH! :doah:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
MLR I had you mixed up with bobberingforeyes think thats his handle? Their on a lake near me DUH! :doah:
its tough getting auld aint it dew!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nope, I'm on Moon Lake ;)