Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Looking for gear/mentors  (Read 4274 times)

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
Hello everyone,
 I had the pleasure of grouse hunting with my grandpa when I was a little boy. We lived far from him, and I really only have one memory of it, but I have the upland bird fever. I just turned 30, and I have 2 small children that I want to be able to teach and hunt with them someday. I have very minimal gear, and I'm looking for a cheap, or possibly free source of some gear, knowledge, and someone to go out with and learn. If anyone has any old hunting gear that would be helpful, maps/knowledge of a good public area, or anything to help me get started the right way please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it, and would be a hunting friend for life.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What kind of gear are you looking for? Do you have a list of things you need? Are you just targeting upland birds?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
I have some camo pants and shirts, and a few blaze orange items. I have some old hand me down turkey decoys, and calls. I have nothing for pheasant or grouse though. I have 2 old .410 shotguns, but I don't know when they were shot last. I want to eventually hunt everything. Upland birds just seem to be the easiest to just walk and scout for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Roughly where do you live and plan to hunt? 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
I live in Minneapolis. I would like to start with somewhere close to the metro, but my grandpa was from International Falls, and that's a special place to me.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I don't have any guns to part with. But, I  may have some hunting clothes.

The 410 would be ok for grouse, not so much for pheasants.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
Should I have concerns about how long it's been since the guns were used?  I'll take anything I can get.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You said you wanna go cheap, so taking them into a gun smith to check them out is prolly out of the question....I'm pretty good with guns, but to drive up here from the cities would cost about the same as going to a shop. That’s your call I guess.....depends on what they are....auto loaders, pumps or a single shot gun.

Single shot shot guns, little go wrong with them. Pumps are, and should be cleaned and greased. Semi autos need more care because of the gas pistons and orings.

I guess we need more information on what you have/need.

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
It's a  single shot, break action. It doesn't look rusted at all, so I would feel confident taking a practice shot with it. I guess I really want a mentor, and someone that has had success to learn from. All my hunting influences have passed away, and they are traditions that I don't want to lose.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Hello everyone,
 I had the pleasure of grouse hunting with my grandpa when I was a little boy. We lived far from him, and I really only have one memory of it, but I have the upland bird fever. I just turned 30, and I have 2 small children that I want to be able to teach and hunt with them someday. I have very minimal gear, and I'm looking for a cheap, or possibly free source of some gear, knowledge, and someone to go out with and learn. If anyone has any old hunting gear that would be helpful, maps/knowledge of a good public area, or anything to help me get started the right way please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it, and would be a hunting friend for life.
          I have a 12Ga Winchester model 1200 2&3/4 inch receiver with 28 inch full choke and a rifled slug barrel.Plus lots a lead ammo for doves and grouse and steel shot for ducks and geese.I,m not sure what its worth?? BUT its condition for a used hunting shotgun is VERYGOOD not excellent cause it was used for hunting.Its purddy yet. I cant use it anymore,My family have there own firearms.I,m guessing the shotgun is worth 175-250 the slug barrel 100 bucks then ammo would come cheap. Might you be interested? I live near Willmar,Mn bout 80 miles west of the cities edge.
 Before I look online anyone here know a fair price??Like I say very good condition.
 I also have great grouse spots 100 miles north of you.get the shotgun and I'll show you on a map when yer here.Hehehe sales pitch! I,m no pressure salesperson!!!!!!
 I can also check your 410 an we can fire it at my place someday one of your kids can use it! I started with a 410 when I was 6 duck huntin just got to shoot when ducks landed in the deeks 1 shot one kill??I missed lots!
« Last Edit: August 08/27/16, 08:41:21 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I have some extra gear I might be able to part with.  Some camo and blaze orange stuff, but it's mostly adult.  It's possible to buy stuff on the cheap and get by to get started.  Wal-mart is your friend.  You can get very inexpensive orange vests for your kids.  It will get them started.  Shop the garage sales relentlessly.  Try the flea market out in Medina on Sundays.  Usually quite a bit of gear to be had out there.  You can set your kids up with cheap knives to get them started, and upgrade later.  Wal-mart sells brand new lock blades for $2.00.  Nothing fancy but it would get you started.  For target shooting, save some tin cans.  Kids love to shoot cans.  You can go on line at any number of sights and print of targets.  I've got some extra cleaning supplies if you need any of that kind of stuff.  I live in the south suburbs and could match up with you.  Let me know what you're looking for and maybe I can get a care package put together.  It might be used stuff, and not high end, but you cna upgrade as finances allow.
Let me know.

Offline BowHuntMidwest

• Minnow
Hello everyone,
          I have a 12Ga Winchester model 1200 2&3/4 inch receiver with 28 inch full choke and a rifled slug barrel.Plus lots a lead ammo for doves and grouse and steel shot for ducks and geese.I,m not sure what its worth?? BUT its condition for a used hunting shotgun is VERYGOOD not excellent cause it was used for hunting.Its purddy yet. I cant use it anymore,My family have there own firearms.I,m guessing the shotgun is worth 175-250 the slug barrel 100 bucks then ammo would come cheap. Might you be interested? I live near Willmar,Mn bout 80 miles west of the cities edge.
 Before I look online anyone here know a fair price??Like I say very good condition.
 I also have great grouse spots 100 miles north of you.get the shotgun and I'll show you on a map when yer here.Hehehe sales pitch! I,m no pressure salesperson!!!!!!
 I can also check your 410 an we can fire it at my place someday one of your kids can use it! I started with a 410 when I was 6 duck huntin just got to shoot when ducks landed in the deeks 1 shot one kill??I missed lots!
I have some extra gear I might be able to part with.  Some camo and blaze orange stuff, but it's mostly adult.  It's possible to buy stuff on the cheap and get by to get started.  Wal-mart is your friend.  You can get very inexpensive orange vests for your kids.  It will get them started.  Shop the garage sales relentlessly.  Try the flea market out in Medina on Sundays.  Usually quite a bit of gear to be had out there.  You can set your kids up with cheap knives to get them started, and upgrade later.  Wal-mart sells brand new lock blades for $2.00.  Nothing fancy but it would get you started.  For target shooting, save some tin cans.  Kids love to shoot cans.  You can go on line at any number of sights and print of targets.  I've got some extra cleaning supplies if you need any of that kind of stuff.  I live in the south suburbs and could match up with you.  Let me know what you're looking for and maybe I can get a care package put together.  It might be used stuff, and not high end, but you cna upgrade as finances allow.
Let me know.
Dew2: Yes, I am very interested. That would be worth the trip, especially if you can lead me in the direction of some birds. I'll message you, and we can figure out the details. Money is a little tight right now, so it might take me a few weeks to get the funds together.

Gophergunner: I would appreciate anything you have. My kids are still too young to get started, so I want to get my foundation built for when they hit the right ages. Any gear you have would be greatly appreciated. I will message you as well so we can plan some time to meet up.

You guys have been a huge help, and I appreciate the info and offers from everyone.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Dew 2-I think your price on the 1200 is accurate.  A quick check on Gunbroker.com showed them anywhere from about $175.00 up.  That would be a good gun for him to start with.   He has PM'd me and I'm going to round up some gear to help get him started.  I also suggested he check out Carlos Avery and Chengwatana State Forest for close by hunting opportunities.