Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anybody going North?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Are you going North for Loopers?

With Turkey season being so spread out this year. (Sodak & Minnesota) I may have little time to do my annual North shore runs.....

But, it's always in the back of my mind!
Casting a fly on the tributary streams of Lake Superior....pretty close to the same feeling while turkey hunting...

Are you going?  confused-3316.gif

I hope I have time this spring!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm hoping to go up for the smelt run..
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never done the smelt run but it sounds great.  Can a guy go and get a gallon of them these days???

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i miss the old smelt frys, our little towns would put on a smelt fry, baked tater and a veggie, and many kegs for 10 bucks........i think iremeber those....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they just had a feed last Friday in Long prairie, $10.00 all you could eat, tons of people.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I just heard the commercial on the radio up here for the smelt fry coming up in Grygla in the next week or two at the community center. Sorry I didn't catch the exact dates though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have never done the smelt run but it sounds great.  Can a guy go and get a gallon of them these days???

You can get quite a few if you hit it right.. I normally head up there armed with a good fishing pole and tackle for shore fishing during the day and then we either join the crowd on park point with our minnow seine or dip one of the rivers going up the north shore with hand nets. Pretty fun when you do hit it at the right time. Year before last I hit it good in the river and could feel them hitting my legs as they swam into the river.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I was up in Duluth today and asked PK.... they said not yet but soon. said ya gotta fight off the hmoung!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The Park is a little crowded for me....I hit the tributaries....you get less, but the crowds are less.

I'll be heading up prolly this weekend and the weekend of the 22nd & 23rd.....the weekend between, I'll be in Sodak....

I might miss it this year.....I'm thinking the weekend of the 15th & 16th.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The Park is a little crowded for me....I hit the tributaries....you get less, but the crowds are less.

I'll be heading up prolly this weekend and the weekend of the 22nd & 23rd.....the weekend between, I'll be in Sodak....

I might miss it this year.....I'm thinking the weekend of the 15th & 16th.....

IDK, is there any relation between the loopers and the smelt run? Sounds like you might be right HD, the smelt run might hit between your weekends. Hope you can hit it just right!