Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1503064 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
A new guest this year, and the assembly line for green bean casserole....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ta da.....

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
No turkey here, but by god, I make do with what I have on hand!!! Even managed to scrounge a pie and some whipped cream!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ta da.....
y
Lookin' good!! But, Ya forgot the gravy on da taters, HD!!  :scratch:  And you'd have more room if you'd scrape those GB's into the trash!!!!  :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job reb!! Looks to me the pooch got a plate as well HD.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks!! Where's that turkey and fixin's boob?! No pics of Remi? Awww!  Still got time..... ;D

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Don't tell my daughter Bobber....but, I did slip some scraps under the table without her looking......  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Don't tell my daughter Bobber....but, I did slip some scraps under the table without her looking......  :happy1:

:Clap:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Your secret is safe with me HD! Remi did well today, after I was done carving the white meat I took 2 forks after the dark meat and I had little chunks stuck to the fridge, cupboards and these are directly behind me, that's not counting what hit the floor. I had my A game going. But then again he almost has his own chair around the table.....spoiled pooch.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Still feelin' like a flogged smurf, my butt's draggin' . Made some from scratch chicky noodle soup....with shell pasta, as I couldn't find my egg noodles.  :banghead: Carrots, celery, one onion, qt chicken stock, 3 cups water, chicky bouillon,  pepper, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. (Too much thyme, dang it) Pound and a half of chicken boobs.  Cup and a half of shells. Hope it'll help cure me.  :chef:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nuttin wrong with some homemade soup, reborooni. Toss in a pb@j for dunking and that's a fine dinner !!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I done et some deviled eggs and couple mini-ciabatta's with it.   *burp*  ;)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
One of my favorite soups Reb!!!  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine too, RH! Thanks!   Looks likes it's Reb's "Portable Casserole" tonite...I should be selling this at the state fair, on a stick.  ;) I never buy Hamburger Whelper, that's just plain SIB. (sh** in a box) If ya need that stuff to cook, well..... :doah:
Anywho, last winter grabbed a box of Crunchy Taco whelper when I knew I was gonna be on the run that nite. Needed something quick and filling, and I figgered I could zing it up. Anywho, I add either about 1/2 packet of taco or fajita seasoning to it, and when ya put the supplied crunchy corn chips topping and cheesy sauce on it, I add shredded sharp cheddar. (It also has rice in it)  I was trying to eat a plate of it and do two other things at once (bad habit of eating while I work; came from having to do it in my career) when I thought, "Hey, put a slab of it on a flour tortilla and roll it up"... presto, the portable casserole. It's not too bad for a quickie meal...really! Add some lettuce and tomato chunks, blob of sour cream, and it's a hot heavy duty burrito!  ;D

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya reb, lots of that kind of chow needs help.Even frozen zas, the more the more better  :scratch:. Chili this evening with corn bread and saltines.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
*Urp* Just finished three flour tortillas piled and rolled up with it...I'm really liking this!!! *burp* Can't beat chili with cawn bread! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok as I mentioned on another thread here I have a urge for country style ribs.  Who has a good bbq sauce recipe that is not too spicy.  I like spicy buy my wife likes a little milder...  (sauce that is)  I'm getting tired of the bottled stuff... 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked on the cook's illustrated site..   There are several types to choose from, but here are a couple.

Basic Pantry BBQ Sauce
From Cook's Country | August/September 2008

Add to Favorites
    Share:
    Shopping list
    Email
    Print

Why this recipe works:

When it came to the liquid smoke in our no-cook Basic Pantry BBQ Sauce recipe, we found it best to avoid brands with additives such as salt, vinegar, and molasses. The test kitchen’s top-rated brand contains nothing but smoke and water. A teaspoon of hot sauce balanced the sweetness with a bit of heat.
less
Makes about 1 1/4 cups

This great-tasting, no-cook barbecue sauce can be used to baste barbecued chicken, as a condiment for grilled hamburgers, or as a finishing sauce for our Smoked Pork Loin (see related recipe).
Ingredients

1 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

Instructions

Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
--------------------------------

Barbecue Sauce
From Cook's Country | June/July 2011

Add to Favorites
    Share:
    Shopping list
    Email
    Print

Why this recipe works:

We found that simmering the sauce on the stovetop concentrated the flavors and thickened the sauce. A little Worcestershire sauce provided rich, savory flavor and a combination of chili powder, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce provided just enough heat to register, but not so much that it overwhelmed the other flavors.

less
Makes 3 cups

This recipe was developed using relatively mild Frank's RedHot hot sauce.
Ingredients

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped fine
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 cups ketchup
    10 tablespoons molasses
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons hot sauce

Instructions

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, and hot sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)
----------------------------

Kansas City BBQ Sauce
Published June 1, 2006.

Add to Favorites
    Share:
    Shopping list
    Email
    Print

Why this recipe works:

Our Kansas City BBQ Sauce recipe combines the usual sauce ingredients—ketchup, vinegar, molasses, hot sauce, mustard—with two unexpected ingredients: dark corn syrup and root beer, which give our barbecue sauce the sticky, sweet, and smoky characteristics. But beware: We found that our Kansas… read more
Makes about 4 cups

We like our barbecue sauce extra-thick. If you like a thinner, smoother texture, the sauce can be strained after it has finished cooking.
Ingredients

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, minced
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup root beer
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup dark corn syrup
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown mustard
    1 tablespoon hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

Instructions

Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining ingredients, except for liquid smoke, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is thick and has reduced to 4 cups, about 1 hour. Stir in liquid smoke, if using. (Sauce can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 1 week.)
---------------------------------------
Simple Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Published July 2000
save
Simple Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Why This Recipe Works

When developing our recipe for homemade barbecue sauce, we found that pantry staples were sufficient to make a superior sauce. We started with ketchup and molasses and added cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and hot sauce. Grating the onions into a smooth puree allowed us to add onion flavor without distracting bits. Cooking the garlic and spices in a little oil bloomed their flavors in our homemade barbecue sauce recipe.
cooking school
Classic Sauces
learn more
ingredientsprint shopping list
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1cup ketchup
2tablespoons cider vinegar
2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2tablespoons Dijon mustard
5tablespoons molasses
1teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
¼teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
2tablespoons vegetable oil
1medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1teaspoon chili powder
¼teaspoon cayenne pepper

instructionsMakes about 1 1/2 cups

1. Process onion and 1/4 cup water in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until pureed and mixture resembles slush, about 30 seconds. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids with rubber spatula to obtain 1/2 cup juice. Discard solids in strainer.

2. Whisk onion juice, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, molasses, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, and liquid smoke (if using) in medium bowl.

3. Heat oil in large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add garlic, chili powder, and cayenne pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in ketchup mixture and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently, uncovered, until flavors meld and sauce is thickened, about 25 minutes. Cool sauce to room temperature before using. (Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 7 days.)

-------------------------------

There are a bunch more, just ask and I will post more.   

Anything specific you are looking for?   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I dug around in my cookbook collection; here's a basic one from the '67 Cattleman's Steak Book. Great book. Might be what yer lookin' for...

Honey BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 minced onion
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
few drops of tabasco
1/2 tsp garlic powder (orignal calls for one mashed clove)
1 tsp chili powder
3 Tbsp honey

Mix ingredients with 1 cup of water and slow simmer for 30 mns.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
KETCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
OK, no ketchup.

South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce
By Cook's Illustrated•Published January 2010
save
South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce
Why This Recipe Works

An indoor pulled pork recipe requires a dual cooking method to keep the meat moist inside while developing a flavorful outer crust. So we figured out how long we needed to cook our Boston butt covered and then uncovered to achieve this result. For a smoky barbecue flavor when making an indoor pulled pork recipe, we found that liquid smoke, which we used both to brine and rub the meat, did the trick. A pulled pork recipe wouldn’t be complete without at least one of the three authentically regional sauces we developed to moisten and flavor the meat.

ingredients
1cup yellow mustard
½cup white vinegar
¼cup packed light brown sugar
¼cup Worcestershire sauce
2tablespoons hot sauce
1teaspoon table salt
1teaspoon ground black pepper

instructions                       Makes about 2 1/2 Cups

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl with 1/2 cup defatted cooking liquid, reserved from step 5 of Indoor Pulled Pork with Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce (see related recipe) and whisk to combine.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Del, you should order this. Surprised they're still around. Excellent book. Sauces, recipes, histories, bit of everything. Remember the old Dayton's downtown? I got mine there on a book sale around 1970. Ya, I was into cooking when I was a teen.... :chef:

https://www.amazon.com/Cattlemans-Steak-Book-Carol-Truax/dp/B000HF73J4

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks you guys.  I will be trying them this weekend.  I like the last one Del posted on the first batch and yours looks good too Rebs.  And maybe I can make a sandwich out of the leftovers...  ;)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Go make my bean soup,too...sent ya recipe on the other thread.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok as I mentioned on another thread here I have a urge for country style ribs.  Who has a good bbq sauce recipe that is not too spicy.  I like spicy buy my wife likes a little milder...  (sauce that is)  I'm getting tired of the bottled stuff...
First a link to Dels cooks country mention.I watch the TV show an have 3 of their cook books
Link>https://www.cookscountry.com/

This time a year we get a little tired of BBQ Sauce,So when we crock pot pork a sweet and sour sauce is a great pickup an change.We do make our own but always have Kikoman sweet & sour in the pantry.

Last night was turkey veg soup Just celery,Rutabega,Carrot with germain style tatter dumplings and a turkey sandwitch.
 We wound up with 1 gal of turket stock and 1/2 gal turkey broth.Course I always get 3 extra turkey necks an boil em down with the neck,Gizzard, heart an liver for broth for gravey an stuffing moisture
« Last Edit: November 11/30/16, 12:52:14 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess Del ain't interested in my advice on that great book.....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
As Soon as it starts snowing out, here's one I havta make every year....It's really quite tasty. Top with the seeds...

Reb's Creamy Pumpkin Soup[/b][/size]

1 can of "pure pumpkin" (make sure it's 100% mashed pumpkin; 10 oz can) or cooked and mashed pumpkin
1 can of chicken broth (10 oz)
1 can of evaporated milk  (12 oz)
1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon (may omit)
2 tsp packed brown sugar
small dash of garlic powder if desired
Toasted pumpkin seeds

Melt butter in a stockpot or large pot over medium heat. Add onion, sugar, and garlic; cook a few minutes until soft. Add broth, water, salt & pepper, stirring in slowly, and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes. Slowly stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds. I like it served very warm, not hot. Enjoy!

Toasted Pumpkin seeds

Wash seeds from a fresh pumpkin in a colander to remove all the goo. Put on some paper towels and pat dry. Line a baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil, then spray with Pam or other light cooking oil. Sprinkle seeds on foil, spray seeds with oil, sprinkle liberally with salt. Cook in a 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, stirring around occasionally, just until seeds barely start to turn light brown at edges. Shut off heat and let remain in oven until just warm. Beats the heck out of store-bought ones.

« Last Edit: November 11/30/16, 03:43:38 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess Del ain't interested in my advice on that great book.....

Sheesh, while I am gone you post a link to a book, and then in a short while are beatching that I haven't ordered it or something.   
OK, for everyone....
BTW I have the multi site membership at cooks illustrated web site if anyone needs anything... 

Also, check out your local public library for e-magazines.   They have a whole bunch including food magazines.  Rochester has cooks illustrated and food network mags and others.  Ramsey county has cooks country and others. 

I think anyone can get a library card for any library in the state.  So when you go fishing or hunting stop in the local public library and get a card.   Actually you use the same card as at home but they add it to their system.   Then you can download and read ebooks and emagazines.