Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dehydrate Pepper Time!  (Read 3463 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have WAY to many peppers this year. So, I figured it was time to dehydrate some. First tray was the scorpion peppers, second tray was jalapeño and the third and forth trays are seronto chillies.  :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Glenn....if you ever had a sinus problem...you should be in here right now......ooooffftaaaa.......
Talk about clear a room........wwwhhhhhoooooooo!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:no sinus issues here!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Wow!! Lotsa goodies there! I did that a few years ago with all of mine, and soon learned to move it out into the garage!!!  Ground 'em up in the food processor when really dry and used the powder in my chilis and soups....seems to keep quite a while , too. Mone are in glass jars with cork tops.  ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so HD, what do you plan on doing with them when done???????? do you keep them separate or mix them kinda like a crushed red pepper mix you can buy?????????

reason I ask is I love doing that kind of stuff and thought of getting a few varieties of peppers and making my own pepper mix.

I do grow some of my own seasonings!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I separated the Serrano with some jalapeño for one mix.
And one with the scorpion, Serrano and jalapeño for another mix.

I grind them up in a coffee grinder and use them in anything I want to add a little heat to.

Reb, your right, they stay for a very long time in a dry environment. Don't package it in plastic sealed bag cause it will go bad. I have a glass jar with a cork top as well that I store it in. But, I  also only grind what I need at a time for a small shaker to dust a pizza now and then.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Only problem I had after drying, then grinding, is the "skins" don't want to grind up good, drying seems to make them really tough. I didn't know how to get around that one....but I mixed a few varieties together, and it made for a really different kind of seasoning. I did a course grind on some, a fine grind, and left some whole to pop in a pot of whatever.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/31/16, 10:16:09 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ok, so if I take on the adventure next spring, what do you suggest for peppers??????? are they readably available? and I am not talking peppers that will scald the a$$hole outta a skunk either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did poblano,anaheim, cayenne and jalepeno....

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Reb, your alright I don't care what boar says about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where did you get the plants??????

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 We air dry all our peppers. Once dried we remove seeds and grind, some sweets get a smoke on em then ground. Then into a coffee grinder and pulverized which is Paprika,We have 4-5 hots,a sweet and a sweet smoked. We keep em all in seperate jars and then mix as wanted.Habenaros,Serranos,Jalipinos,plablemos,an hot yellows,Then the sweet Margrets.BEST Pepper I ever found
 Glenn has some sweet margret peppers from Hungry. Gotta say is you buy paprika and make yer own the taste in the bought stuff is 0 none the homemade is oh so tasty.Get glenn to save some seed he said he had tons of the Margrets
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Reb, your alright I don't care what boar says about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where did you get the plants??????

I don't either!  ;) I'm sure the other guys have lots of ideas, too...lots of peppers out there to make some pretty neat concoctions. Add some to your rib rub...I did that. Fun experimenting. Just don't stick yer nozzle down into the processor after grinding and take a big sniff....don't ask about that.  :cry:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Some peppers you have to be REALLY careful with....the oil can even soak through latex gloves. Once your done handling them and take off the gloves....don't go outside and pee.....wash yur hands first...TRUST ME!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Yah HD I've done the pecker dance before!!

Yah ougtha try this It can be done with any pepper jared sealed and lasts years if not all ate.I always do lots so I dont have to do em every year

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=32904.msg221409#msg221409
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Got the plants at the store you won't go to...Walfart!  They're Bonnie pepper plants...never had a problem with Bonnie stuff. Quality stuff. Using their plants for many years.   :happy1:

https://bonnieplants.com/product-category/vegetables/peppers/

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If glenn made the mistake of doing the "pepper pecker dance", the poor little thing would just burn off anyway.  :rotflmao: