Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 5 Tips to Help You Catch a Two-Pound Crappie This Weekend  (Read 2593 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

by David A. Brown

It’s the triple play, the pick-6, the hat trick of crappie fishing. Breaking the 2-pound mark happens enough to give anglers hope, but it’s a rarity requiring much more than a cork-and-minnow.

Indiana tournament pro Matt Morgan says he’s seen hundreds of 32-ouncers in his career from Florida’s Lake Talquin and St. John’s River, to South Carolina’s Santee Cooper, Tennessee’s Reel Foot and Mississippi monster factories Grenada Lake and Ross Barnett Reservoir. Consistent, he said, are a giant crappie’s need for areas providing the perfect balance of food, oxygen level and water temperature.

That formula varies lake-to-lake, but here’s a roundup of pointers that’ll up your chances of meeting a giant crappie:

1. Bait Size Matters
When spring gathers hulking females in shallow spots, expect a big-bait preference. Example: T.J. Stallings of Alabama recalls his best day — a dozen over 2 pounds — when giant slabs were all over jumbo Road Runner with a 4/0 hook.

Later in the year, the exact opposite may be true.

“I have caught 3-pound fish in November with the smallest hair jig and small minnow that I could find on the boat,” Morgan said. “That all depends on whether they are aggressive or they are lethargic and just surviving.”

2. Don’t Miss the Strike
Counterintuitive as it seems, a big-crappie bite won’t necessarily feel so big.

Morgan notes: “A small crappie will attempt to bury a rod five eyes deep in the water when you’re trolling, but a fish of 2-plus pounds more often than not will barely move the rod tip.”

3. Go To School
Detecting one delicate bite means more than one fish, says Morgan. The jumbos tend to group by size, so catching one 2-pounder often means you’ve found the meat pile. (Tip: Postpone the high-fives and bragging pics and maximize the moment.)

4. Fish the Real Thing
Missouri crappie angler Whitey Outlaw finds that natural structure like stumps, trees, etc. produces bigger fish than manmade spots. Natural food accumulation probably factors here.

5. Stake It Out
Find the right cover, says Alabama’s Dan Dannenmueller and you can usually count on territorial fish for consistency.

“Certain trees, brush piles and docks will hold big fish continually every year,” he said. “I believe it is a combination of food availability, access to deeper water and protection from predators. I have found that, on many reservoirs, the big fish live most of their lives near their spawning grounds if these conditions prevail.”
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I thought he caught that little tiny thingy??? ;)
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman