Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 23 below and the pontiac wont go  (Read 5407 times)

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My daughter's grand prix wouldn't start this morning. I didn't feel like screwing with it at zero dark thirty with temperature at -23.

Backup plan, I had a 40 yr old pickup truck resting in a snowbank for the winter.... And I bet that old truck will start.

Not plugged in, been sitting since the first week of November, covered in 3 feet of snow... And this is my backup plan?

Yep.

She cranked slow, but my trusty old beater barked to life.

40 yr old carbureted American V8.

God I just love "old junk" lol!

She took this photo when she got back home from work early this evening.

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice!!! Gotta love an old ford!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice!!! Gotta love an old ford!!

You might like this one too then.

77F250 restored for my son. Featured on the cover of the fall 2016 LMC truck catalog.

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Very nice, I'm jealous. That is by far the pertiest ford body style!!!!!

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks.

I have the little Pontiac inside the garage now, it wouldn't start because the heater blower won't shut off. Ignition off, key out, fan switch in off position, blower runs wide open. It drains it's battery. The only way to get the fan to stop running is to disconnect the battery.

Sigh....

I'm sure it's a relay or something in the cabin controls.

I don't have time for general auto repair, I've got a shop full of classic cars to restore for customers.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good luck dave. black bettys looking good!!
78.50"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Well at first I wasn't sure a non-starting Pontiac was right for the Big Boy Toy thread.  :scratch:

But then notice this silly Site doesn't even have an Automotive thread!  :bs:

So, as long as you posted the nice Pickup pictures, it should be allowed-I guess?  :coffee:
« Last Edit: January 01/05/17, 07:43:36 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I spent too much time trying to start the old carb/point condenser cars in the cold to ever want one again. Oh, wait, my 67 is that way but I don't run it in winter.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My things have changed in the last 50 years haven't they? I still miss my manual choke! Oh yeah, still have one on the 656. At least it's 12 volt with a block heater so it's gonna start. Although the Co-op E3 (4 cyl. Buda) I grew up with used to pop off at -20 with a 6 volt. Pull the choke all the way out, 3 cranks from the starter, let 'er run a few minutes as you feathered the choke back in and she was good to go. Chicken coop had to be cleaned or so I was told. Sheep skin on the metal seat, old canvas heathouser to keep you only semi-frozen while hauling the loads and chains on the 11-38 tires so you made it out and back for another one. Ah the good old days... :happy1: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ahhh... full disclosure to prove I'm not completely brand biased... 24 below and the ford 6.4 diesel wouldn't go this morning.

Had to plug her in for a while.

I usually don't have to go anywhere since my shop is at home. I would have plugged the poor oil burner in if I knew I had to take my 12 yr old to school today. His mom usually takes him, but mom was working out of town today and left earlier.

The bitter cold is just brutal on everything.

Dotch, I used to move snow with my allis WD45 with a farm hand loader and a PTO driven hydraulic pump.

Oooof, I don't miss those days.

Plug in the tank heater to heat and circulate the coolant, then crank her over with the 6 volt system... pulling that choke all the way and hoping for at least one "pop" and a smoke ring from the muffler.

Some days I would spend an hour of more just to get her running. Hand clutch disengaged,  oh it was a 3 stage warm up. Get the engine turning its crank shaft alone for a while before a person dared to let the foot clutch out and just spin some gears in the trans with the hand clutch pulled in. It would about kill the engine sometimes. Once I had that all loosened up I could go for the PTO and circulate hydro fluid for a while. All this before I even dreamed of trying to move the tractor. Then sit on that metal seat for hours, pushing, lifting and dumping snow.

Horrible! Lol!

I sure love my plow truck!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well at first I wasn't sure a non-starting Pontiac was right for the Big Boy Toy thread.  :scratch:

So, as long as you posted the nice Pickup pictures, it should be allowed-I guess?  :coffee:

Silly? We used to have a auto thread, but nobody used it. Do we need one?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Well if a non-starting Pontiac is a Big Boy Toy and not an Auto issue?  :scratch: I'd say no?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Well if a non-starting Pontiac is a Big Boy Toy and not an Auto issue?  :scratch: I'd say no?

I can create one if you would like.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My post was really more about a 40 yr old hunting truck that started and performed flawlessly in 23 below zero, not plugged in, not even recently running.

I can change the post title if that helps?

I can't promise I won't mention Pontiacs again in this section tho.

A 67 GTO might qualify as a toy, for big boys.

Lol

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Well my 01 kia sportage pops off without being plugged in...
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Will the goat have 389 tri-power?  :scratch:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe the Kia on here is the answer....

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
My post was really more about a 40 yr old hunting truck that started and performed flawlessly in 23 below zero, not plugged in, not even recently running.

I can change the post title if that helps?

I can't promise I won't mention Pontiacs again in this section tho.

A 67 GTO might qualify as a toy, for big boys.

Lol

Na, no need to change anything. When I joined a bit ago I didn't see any Threads for Boys toys so just glad to have contributed to the site with an idea. Boy's toys are in the eye of the beholder.  :happy1:

But, if someone posts their knitting projects in here, I'm out!!  :taz: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on what SHE drives..if it's a Yenko 'maro, it might be permissible.  ;D

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Roberts has been knitting himself a pair of fin mittens for those cold nights on the botom. when he knits, its his zen. he gose to a place in his mind where there are big pout toys and hot salamanders with skimpy daisy pout shorts.
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a 67 GTO with a 389 and then a 69 Judge with a 400.  Loved both of the cars and were way too much car for a young man of about 20 to have.  Got me in lots of trouble and every minute of it was fun.  Wish I had them now......

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love to see an automotive thread where we can ask questions about repair work....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a 67 GTO with a 389 and then a 69 Judge with a 400.  Loved both of the cars and were way too much car for a young man of about 20 to have.  Got me in lots of trouble and every minute of it was fun.  Wish I had them now......

I wish I had them now, too.  ;) I sure miss my TA's and the 67' Belvedere sport coupe and the 442 and the Impala SS and....and... :cry:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
we use to have a or still do have small engines thread, dew2 was the go to guy for that, but an automotive thread would be cool. probabley would nt move to fast but their are enough wrenchers here that most thi gs could trouble shooted.
78.50"

Offline Northerndave

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm in for what ever.

I've got an advertisement banner for this particular page. I'm a gear head, if you click the banner it will take you to my shop's facebook page where you can have a look at past and present projects in my shop.

I was thinking about laying out some build threads on this big boy toy page, what I mean by that is classic car and truck restoration projects with pictures etc.

I thought it would maybe fit in here.