Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gander Mountain preparing to file for bankruptcy this month  (Read 5050 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Gander Mountain preparing to file for bankruptcy this month

By Reuters Media on Feb 10, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.

St. Paul-based hunting and fishing chain Gander Mountain is preparing to file for bankruptcy as early as this month, after an aggressive effort to expand its store base failed to pull in new customers, according to people familiar with the matter.

Gander Mountain is working with financial advisory firm Lighthouse Management Group and law firm Fredrikson & Byron PA as it gets ready to file for bankruptcy, the people said this week.

The sources asked not to be identified because the matter is confidential. Gander Mountain and Lighthouse Management declined to comment this week, while a spokeswoman for Fredrikson did not return a request for comment made on Wednesday, Feb. 8.

Gander Mountain, which bills itself as America's firearms superstore, has faced challenges capitalizing on a booming gun market. The Federal Bureau of Investigation carried out a record 27.5 million background checks on people seeking to buy guns in 2016, up 19 percent from the year before.

Gander also has stiff competition from rivals like Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's, which have been revamping their stores to attract customers with restaurants and shooting activities.

Bass Pro agreed last year to buy Cabela's for $5.5 billion, potentially putting more pressure on Gander Mountain, though the deal has to overcome major hurdles to close, including antitrust concerns.

Gander Mountain was taken private in 2010 by Gratco, a holding company controlled by Gander Chairman and Chief Executive David Pratt, and Holiday Stationstores, a gas-station retail operation controlled by Minnesota's Erickson family.

Gander Mountain confronts financial trouble after an aggressive expansion across the United States for a total of about 160 stores, with nearly 60 new outposts opened or announced since 2012.

The company has a $30 million loan, and revolving credit lines for $25 million and $500 million, according to Thomson Reuters data. It is not clear how much money in the credit lines Gander Mountain has yet to draw down on.

Gander Mountain would be the fifth outdoor retailer to file for bankruptcy in the last 12 months, following sports retailers such as Sports Chalet and Sports Authority, which both sought court protection from their creditors.

Gander Mountain wanted to address some of its challenges by exploring a sale last year of its online and catalog boating business called Overton's, but was unable to find a buyer at agreeable terms, according to the sources.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Well, with their high prices, lack of any knowledgable help....or any help at all...doesn't surprise me.  :coffee:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
me either......haven't bought anything there in a lot of years!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll 3rd that, can't even remember the last time I was there, many many years ago.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll 3rd that, can't even remember the last time I was there, many many years ago.

You can't...ya half-wit!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok I agree!!!  is that "more" better??? sleazy-422.gif sleazy-422.gif :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My opinion for what it's worth.  I am a very small manufacturer of ice fishing products.  Gander used to buy a couple pallets of my stuff each year.  About 10 years ago their head buyer retired it seems.  He was a great guy.  Since then they haven't been buying my products but kept saying next year we will restock with it.  All my friends and family members shopped at Gander during that time as we were proud to be in their stores.  And we told others about it.  Bought most of our Christmas presents there etc.  You know how word of mouth travels.  Well after they stopped handling our stuff I had different Gander stores tell me that they wanted my products but couldn't get Corporate to let them order it on their own.  They went with overseas junk that made them more profit.  SO  now they have allienated a big group of people that now have no interest in shopping in their stores.  Like I said I am a small minnow in the pond but multiply that by 100 times in each area and you see what happens. They didn't give a rip about local products anymore like Cabelas does.  Sometimes it is the little things that end up making a difference.  Too bad.....

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well said LPS, and word of mouth can your best or worse advertising I think!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep that store is not the same.  That use to be my first store on the list to hit on the weekend stops and it was always hopping, now I go in about once a month.  CORPORATE is the key word in LPS post . Way too many dumb decisions come from up above in business  ( even at my work place) that make an impact on sales on the long run. To many people sitting in an office dreaming up new rules, sales ideas that just doesn't make sense.  People talk old school now and then, well old school got it done and done right and people came back. Gander bought out berger brothers here along time ago, maybe they should snatch up a store..

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Bobber, that's where I started too, Berger Brs.   man that was a long time ago!!  egod!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got $250 in Gander gift cards...better hurry up and get a new gun before they shut down...  :banghead:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
so lps who does carry your products? tried to find them on line and never got anywhere
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Go to the links page Cookie.  That is a list of the dealers.  www.lindellicerigs.com  Cabelas handles them and Clancy's Outdoors sells hundreds of them.  Some years L&M buys from me but didn't this year.  Whenever you are there ask them for them.   :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I sure hope they have a huge blowout sale on guns an ammo.... :cool:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that's a thought,  maybe they will have a big sale.....

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
really don't need anything, but I'm sure I could find something at a big sale.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Forest Lake has a store wide clearance sale going on now.....  face_plant-2139.gif

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well,if the going under sale is anything lijke when they closed select stores over the years this will be a money saving's event! A guy can never have enough ammo or guns's nowa days.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just got a "Friends and family" storewide 20% off everything card in the mail..... :cheesy:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I suspect the savings will get even better as they liquid date they're assets.