Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289853 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's what happens when woody drinks a Red Bull!    :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/19/18, 11:32:29 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Those pileateds can really make a pile of wood chips in a hurry.

No pileated woodpeckers here this a.m. but did have a red bellied with a really tight ladder back pattern & very bright red cap. Likes the ear corn. Lots of other birds too. Hummers, orchard and Baltimore orioles, a couple gray catbirds, an indigo bunting, goldfinches, doves, cardinals, a white crowned sparrow, wrens and a brown thrasher that has been singing all morning. Fun to just listen to him. The variety of music/sounds they make is incredible. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sad news, guys, my cardinals are all dead....the neighbor's cat got them. I am so f****g pissed right now I'm not sure I won't go over there and break her $#@!% neck. Caught the cat three times getting into the bush. AND, this happened once before, talked to her about it THREE times in  the past. NOW the s*** is gonna hit the fan. I just called the DNR, and they are sending an officer down. Way I see it, she knowingly killed wild birds, which is a huge offense. No difference if I shot them, IMO. Filing a formal complaint on Monday with CAWchesters with pretty much worthless Animal Control, and I'm gonna follow that one up until she gets nailed, if it takes me the next year.   :angry2:

Sorry about the rant.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sad news, guys, my cardinals are all dead....the neighbor's cat got them. I am so f****g pissed right now I'm not sure I won't go over there and break her $#@!% neck. Caught the cat three times getting into the bush. AND, this happened once before, talked to her about it THREE times in  the past. NOW the s*** is gonna hit the fan. I just called the DNR, and they are sending an officer down. Way I see it, she knowingly killed wild birds, which is a huge offense. No difference if I shot them, IMO. Filing a formal complaint on Monday with CAWchesters with pretty much worthless Animal Control, and I'm gonna follow that one up until she gets nailed, if it takes me the next year.   :angry2:

Sorry about the rant.

Soooooo....you send the neighbor lady to prison for killing the cardinals.....what are you going to do for fun?  :scratch: Maybe a bargaining chip for later?

Not sure where this is going.........
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sorry to hear about the cardinals Reb. In town, cats belong inside or confined to a person's property IMO. Nearly impossible to do that out in the country. They are a double edged sword at the ranch. Yeah, they catch a lot of mice & keep the sparrows out of the barn but in the meantime they raise a lot of hell with other stuff, particularly ground nesting birds. Tomcats pee all over everything and all of them crap wherever. Our family owned rental property over the years with some renters who kept way too many cats. The smell still about makes me puke. In addition cats can carry toxoplasmosis which causes ewes to abort their lambs. And the horrid infestation of fleas the cats brought onto the place last fall was the last straw. Once this batch of cats has run its course, no more cats.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Sorry about the rant.

Soooooo....you send the neighbor lady to prison for killing the cardinals.....what are you going to do for fun?  :scratch: Maybe a bargaining chip for later?

Not sure where this is going.........

Go to prison for a misdemeanor? That would be a first. It's not going anywhere. Just a statement to let the guys know the birds are dead due to her cats killing them. I asked her numerous times to keep them out of my yard. Cats running loose in the city , with all the cats overflowing the animal shelters, is another result of this stupidity. No different than if I had dogs that came into your yard and killed your chickens. End of statement.
« Last Edit: May 05/19/18, 03:35:31 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just pok'in ya in the ribs Reb......
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Be sad if her cat got into a can of sardines contaminated with golden malrin....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes that sucks Rebs.  We let out cat out for a minute now and then and she walks out on the deck and looks around.  Then we bring here back in the house.  Cats should not be allowed to run free anymore than dogs.  Irresponsible owners.  I see one walk across our property now and then and when I get a chance.........   Oh well.  Del had a great idea.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so since I've been around all weekend I've noticed some of my normal birds haven't been around. we had bluebirds and them dive bombing barn swallow thingy's earlier, now none!!!!! orioles, I haven't seen them in 3 weeks, and very few hummingbirds.  :scratch: :censored: :doah:

but more often then I like I've been seeing a hawk of some variety...…….. :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If you don't have a lot of trees and bushes for birdie cover, that hawk is probably why. Plus, they like lotsa shade in the summer, just like me.  :azn:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Hawk will spook em but there should be some around yet..Blusbirds came late here last week they were workin hard in one box 2 days later we havent seen em at all.The last few HOT days birds only use the baths right now mid day we nave no birds at feeders or baths.Crows stopped commin in cept for early and late day.The heat affects then to
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What the......!!!! Heard some chirping from the Cardinal nest this am that the filthy cat decimated, went and took a quick peek down in it...one made it!!!! YAY!!!!  :happy1: :azn:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Glad one survived Reb. Cats are killers, it's their nature. I town they need to be confined for sure.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
What the......!!!! Heard some chirping from the Cardinal nest this am that the filthy cat decimated, went and took a quick peek down in it...one made it!!!! YAY!!!!  :happy1: :azn:

:happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good news Reb! Problem is the deck is stacked against the poor little fellers. Amazing sometimes any of them make it. News story about a continuing cat saga to the south in neighboring Hartland. What a fiasco!

https://www.albertleatribune.com/2018/05/it-makes-you-wonder-whats-really-going-on/

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The little feller was gone yday. Don't know if he got out, was blown out during the storm, but the adults were flitting back and forth from the bush chirping up a storm, which leads me to think something got to him.  :undecided:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The little feller was gone yday. Don't know if he got out, was blown out during the storm, but the adults were flitting back and forth from the bush chirping up a storm, which leads me to think something got to him.  :undecided:
could be old enough to start trying to fly etc on its own?????????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I dunno...looked kinda small yet...

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Good news Reb! Problem is the deck is stacked against the poor little fellers. Amazing sometimes any of them make it. News story about a continuing cat saga to the south in neighboring Hartland. What a fiasco!

https://www.albertleatribune.com/2018/05/it-makes-you-wonder-whats-really-going-on/

That is quite a read. I think cat women are just as nutty as horse women and that is saying a lot!
Here is a website Reb might be interested in: https://thecafemeow.com/
On a more serious note, I'm sorry the last bird is missing. Hopefully they can find a safe place to nest and start another batch.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know a better cat restaurant.... :evil:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We've got quite a few humming birds here, 2 feeders out & both have been filled since we came back.  :cool: little creatures. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cleaned the hummer feeder out last nite. The ant moat on top dried out or the other birds drank it so it was loaded with black ants. Need to get to FF for ant guards. When I was hanging the feeder back up a little male hovered about a foot away, waiting not so patiently. Geez they're cool little birds.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Been hearing and seeing a couple young Cooper's hawks (aka chicken hawk) flying around and calling off and on all day/early am. Easy to tell it's a Cooper's, from the call, which is pretty distinct. I'm wondering, since their diet is mainly songbirds, if my baby Cardinal....*ulp*  :undecided:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/sounds
« Last Edit: June 06/01/18, 05:51:59 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took this up north.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
its on a hummingbird feeder.......................so..................doah!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :smoking: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh. I thought that was a bottle of Fireball.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So any of you bird feeders out there feed mealworms? If so do you just feed them year round or just during the summer months? If so when do you quit. I've usually stopped when the bluebirds leave

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I used to feed them to the orioles when they stopped coming to the jelly feeder. Had more consumed by house sparrows and starlings than orioles so I stopped. A real dearth of bluebirds at the ranch, probably because they're all over at our off site pasture.