Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289774 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Yesterday I set the birdbath out, filled it with water. Today had my first robin visit it. :happy1: so I put my mealworm feeder out.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Glenn, what does your worm feeder look like? Is it just an open tray?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, what does your worm feeder look like? Is it just an open tray?
yea i bought it at fleet farm. its blue with a metal hook that the tray fits pretty snug in.

its called a STOKES mealworm jelly feeder. i dont put jelly in it as it has small drain holes on the bottom. my main purpose for the feeder is to attract and retain bluebirds, but put it out early to keep the robins around.

them damn crakles and red winged blackbirds like it to.  :tut: :confused:
« Last Edit: March 03/21/21, 11:19:30 AM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Like this?
:happy1: yeppers. I buy the dried mealworms. Not real cheap but I like watching the birds on that feeder
« Last Edit: March 03/21/21, 12:10:18 PM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
10 pounds for $60.... yeah, not cheap

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
this morning i had a cardinal eating out of that mealworm feeder!!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

seen chickadees there too!!!!!!! and robins found it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
b een watching the feeders this morning... quite a few birds "fliting " about!!!!!!  :happy1: :rotflmao: juncos, purple finches, yellow finches, few different woodpeckers!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup more and more birds are arriving, no sand hill cranes yet...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Grrrr... :angry2: :confused: damn starlings are back. :confused: just seen one on the mealworm feeder. :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just seen something way different!!!   A rooster pheasant was walking along the shore line and along came a grey squirrel...  the next thing the two of them were chasing each other around the yard!!!  only lasted a few seconds but it sure was funny and good to watch!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Grrrr... :angry2: :confused: damn starlings are back. :confused: just seen one on the mealworm feeder. :doah:
:scratch: So now it's  :cry: :cry: :violin: :violin: about the poor little hungry birds. :tut: :pouty:                               
  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: So now it's  :cry: :cry: :violin: :violin: about the poor little hungry birds. :tut: :pouty:                               
  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:pouty: :pouty: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz: :taz: :nerd: :nerd: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
was just in the kitchen cleaning up and doing dishes,  kapow!!!  a bird nails the bow window or patio door!!  rather loudly fpr sure..  well i looked and there was one of Glenn's favorite birds laying there dead, a black bird!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
10 pounds for $60.... yeah, not cheap

lol H.D. now I know where the asian joint in my little town gets these things its a good protein filler,put a handful out of fresh meal worms for my blue birds,dang robins scarfed them all up everday.

sandhills showed up  and are thick in central south dakota right now.Keep hoping to see a rare whooping crane in the mix,like a needle in a hay stack tho,as a protected species not many breeding pairs in our country.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
was just in the kitchen cleaning up and doing dishes,  kapow!!!  a bird nails the bow window or patio door!!  rather loudly fpr sure..  well i looked and there was one of Glenn's favorite birds laying there dead, a black bird!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
the last couple days i've had all of a sudden hundreds of them damn things come in... late afternoon.  :angry2: :angry2: :confused: then about a dozen starlings. not sure how many times i've went out on the deck to scatter them...........sure wish i could shoot in down....dont dare with that crabby, call the cops jerkoff neighbor next door. :pouty:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Pellet gun or strong bb gun.
« Last Edit: April 04/01/21, 05:16:46 PM by roony »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ha!! He'd just shoot his eye out!!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Ha!! He'd just shoot his eye out!!  :rotflmao:

look out dogs!!!   thats my thoughts!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: oh the abuse..  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz:

at deer camp they call me the deer sniper!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

i had a pellet gun, it sucked, finally didnt work so i disassembled it and tossed it. there has got to be a pellet gun the has more accuracy then the one i had. it was one of them pump up jobs. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know a guy that just paid $800 for one of those very accurate pellet guns.  Too much for me to spend.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
You can get a break barrel single pump type with either a spring or a gas cylinder for a little over 100 bucks, Mine is a Benjamin.   If I check the sighting in once in a while it does a great job.   Scope is sort of junk but works most of the time.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
When I was a young lad. I had I think it was a Daisy 880.  :scratch: It was a single pump. But that was one accurate pellet gun. Oh the pigeons we picked off with those guns. We noticed the grackles and black birds also on Tuesday night.  :angry2:
« Last Edit: April 04/02/21, 07:07:27 AM by Jerkbiat »
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I had one of those one pump pellet guns 1100ps that was junk made more noise than my 22 long rifle with quiet loads,dang pellet gun sights had to be adjusted after two or 3 shots as the barrel kept moving around on each pump,gave it away,had better luck years back with a crossman 10 pump bb/177 air gun until the plunger crapped out,wouldn't hold air

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have a Powerline 880 Daisy that the seal or seals are shot on. I see one can buy the seal kits for about $15. It was a decent pellet gun for the $ but had to be careful shooting it in the pole barn. More than about 4 pumps and it'd blow a hole in the steel when shooting sparrows. Would also shoot BB's but wasn't accurate. I grew up shooting a Daisy pump BB gun that was handed down from my older brother. Would hold ~500 BB's. Spend my gopher feet money on a tube of BB's and I'd disappear for a week. Brother & I would go up in the hay mow at night with a flashlight & pick the sparrows & starlings off the old hay track. Pretty well eradicated them for a while. Cats loved us. Good times.  :happy1:

This a.m.: Saw a group of around 40 juncos in the front yard. Don't recall seeing that many in a bunch like that. Heading north already?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/02/21, 10:46:37 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a Crossman V-350.  I thought I was so cool cuz it had a wood stock.  This is before I was old enough for a .22.