Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289868 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw first bluebird last night on the power line by the house.  Had some immature Grosbeaks at the feeder at noon.  Didn't have much color to them.  I'm thinking Rose Breasted male and female kids.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw first bluebird last night on the power line by the house.  Had some immature Grosbeaks at the feeder at noon.  Didn't have much color to them.  I'm thinking Rose Breasted male and female kids.
Hope the wrens don't come and ruin it all for ya!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hope the wrens don't come and ruin it all for ya!
roony, maybe you need politically correct wrens??🤔 :confused: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Wren Lives Don't Matter!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Daughter has barn swallows, or similar trying to nest under her deck.  She doesn't want them because the are territorial so goes out and hoses the nest doen every morning but they don't seem to get the message.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Grandma had a carport that was where you went to go inside.  There was always barn swallows in there zooming around us.  Scared us as kids.  She liked them to keep the bugs down. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My Grandma had a carport that was where you went to go inside.  There was always barn swallows in there zooming around us.  Scared us as kids.  She liked them to keep the bugs down.
that's why I like them around. Bug control. :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey dotch,my little downy took the hint to leave my cedar 4x4 post alone after a snoot full of boiled linseed oil,that and he was seen chasing the misses around all weekend on my old silver maple tree,horny little some beech.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The male gave up drilling on the railing here & is focusing on his Mrs. instead. They're both using the oriole nectar feeder. Hadn't seen them doing that before.  :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the female oriole's here sure enjoyed the apple tree blossoms!!!  every year I see them working them over!!!  must smell and taste good I guess... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
All kinds'a birds yesterday...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like Wild Kingdom there HD!  :happy1:

Got a little of that going on here today. I'd like to get some guineas but the road by here is like a race track. They wouldn't last long. Afraid this guy is about as close as we'll get. At least I think it's a guy... :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've never had tried to attract orioles but with a few pairs flying around the cabin we thought we'd give it a whirl.  The kid picked up a jelly/orange feeder deal so hoping they'll find it . He also brought up a bat house, which we put up on the side of the shed. I got no problem housing bats for skeeters.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have that Bluebird on what used to be the Tree Swallow house.  They took over the never used Martin house.  All worked out great.  The Bluebird house is about 40' from where we sit on the deck.  I took a peek inside and this is what I found. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We seem to have a lot of grosbeaks this year. And the neighbor lady got a picture of the last one....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Had Orioles a couple of weeks ago at the lake bouncing around, now after a feeder goes out and Nuttin.  What gives??

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a robins nest up on the floodlights on the east side peak of the garage. Pretty sure she has little 1's in there as she's out in the yard gathering food early everyday & usually leaves the nest whenever we walk by there. :happy1: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had Orioles a couple of weeks ago at the lake bouncing around, now after a feeder goes out and Nuttin.  What gives??
probably found another good source, other feeder or they are nesting. Iffin ya filled it they could be Back. I got hummingbird feeding out of my oriole feeder.

Our hummingbird feeders go empty at the cabin, it don't take them long to figure out there refurbished again. :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Their jelly consumption has slowed substantially in the past week here. They never run out & have a nectar feeder to boot. I suspect it's nesting time & they're preoccupied with that. I put some pieces of string ~6" long out the other day and it disappeared quickly.  :scratch: 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they will come back...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We seem to have a lot of grosbeaks this year. And the neighbor lady got a picture of the last one....

What kind of bird is that yellow one HD?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: I was wondering the same thing. The beak on it doesn't resemble the grosebeak family?? :scratch:.

Wonder if Roony had them? :sleazy: :scratch: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/06/21, 08:42:36 PM by glenn57 »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My orioles must be nesting, haven't seen them. Glenn, shakeup! Hope the wrens get ya.⁰

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :nerd: :nerd: well Dotch told me!! :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Someone on Fartbook said it was a hooded warbler.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't think I have ever seen one of those...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool looking bird. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Someone on Fartbook said it was a hooded warbler.
well google says there correct!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: yea dang cool looking bird...i aint never seen one!!!!!! :pouty: