Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289518 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not even time to say ouch!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Not birds but monachs started to show this week,I planted a bunch of milk weed years ago they are drawn to every summer,come fall I'll have swams of monachs as they migrate,got a tree along the creek that has small black berries every sept they are attracted to,kinda early for these butterflies to show up but I like it.

young of the year robins are growing up fast,watched one youngen chasing a little finch around on the ground in tall grass snarfin up bugs,little robin seemed to want his share,the finch didn't oblige tho,those little robins sure run fast....

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the last few days the blue jays are really having a blast in the bird bath!!  they are sticking their heads in the water, turning around and flick their tails in it and then they turn around again and jump in!!  fun to watch for sure..  still getting all the other birds yet too!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cleaned all our feeders out the other nite. This morning we had a male rose-breasted grosbeak back at the feeders. Doubt he'll stick around but ya never know. Looks like one pair of loyal goldfinches, nuthatches, chickadees, blue jays, an occasional house finch & of course the icky house sparrows. Still plenty of orioles and the barn swallows must've had a good hatch. Good deal as we need all the help we can get against the flies and mosquitoes.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Jerry Carlson had a nice article in the sunday paper today about the red headed woodpecker. says there population has decreased 70% due to the lack of old oak and cottonwood trees. loss of habitat in other words. i do see one occasional, but not often!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to have a pair of red-headed woodpeckers for 6-7 years then all the sudden they were gone. They loved the oranges I put out for the orioles. They would eventually bring their babies to the feeder too. Have not seen then in about 3 years now.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen some here yet, thought  :scratch: I seen a pileated 1 earlier this Spring.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen some here yet, thought  :scratch: I seen a pileated 1 earlier this Spring.
yea i've seen both up at the cabin recently. even see an occasional pileated around home.  but there's a whole lot more trees up there for them to find a home too!!!!! that helps!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a female red breasted grosbeak this morning on the feeder, no sign of the male though!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm keeping mine up......based on that article.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Same here. Activity at the feeders has slowed aside from the stupid house sparrows and I'd just as soon more of them found a way to croak.  :angry:

Back on the red-headed woodpeckers, haven't seen one in the yard for a number of years. I am seeing more in other places where there are more dead and dying trees. The bur oak blight may help their cause the way that's going. Something that I find interesting is the increase in the red-bellied woodpeckers. I never remember seeing very many of them as a kid. We see them routinely now.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My feeders are getting hammered...I can't keep the suit or the black sunflower full. I also put those bigger feed blocks out, in 2 days.... their gone.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My feeders are getting hammered...I can't keep the suit or the black sunflower full. I also put those bigger feed blocks out, in 2 days.... their gone.
what type of birds ya all got out there HD

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
3 different types of woodpeckers, grosbeaks,  finches, bluejays, chickadees, grackles, redwing blackbirds, redpolls.....and of course the turkeys.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't forget that Chinese bird!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
3 different types of woodpeckers, grosbeaks,  finches, bluejays, chickadees, grackles, redwing blackbirds, redpolls.....and of course the turkeys.
I'd start target practice on red wing black birds and grackles.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

but Glenn they are god's creatures too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

but Glenn they are god's creatures too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
yea......maybe so...........BUT some of gods creatures where meant for target practice!!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: those are just 2 of them!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I hear ya!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Yup, we have some pheasants too.....to many birds to list...don't know why the  :censored: Glenn wanted to know.  :scratch: There's also some...I think they're cat birds...maybe cow birds  :scratch: I'm not "retired" yet so I don't have ALL day to look at the flipp'in birds.  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Yup, we have some pheasants too.....to many birds to list...don't know why the  :censored: Glenn wanted to know.  :scratch: There's also some...I think they're cat birds...maybe cow birds  :scratch: I'm not "retired" yet so I don't have ALL day to look at the flipp'in birds.  :rotflmao:
:shocked: :doah: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sorry: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Well ya did answer me, so there is that  :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

and there it is!!  Glenn!!  to funny!!!