Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298441 times)

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
 Lung yourself lucky. It really gets to be annoying, and I have not found an easy or effective way to discourage it.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I  could see putting something on the outside of the window which sucks.  I would like to see it though.  Must be quite a deal.  We have birds smacking our windows a lot but it is small birds. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
them friggin ugly pelicans where thick on that lake south of branierd on 371. i didnt put bird food in the feeders at the cabin. i cleaned them and fixed one up that needed it. mom has this suet feeder with 4 of the wire cages attached, it was down with a door off. i didnt see any signs of yogi or boo boo but wasnt taking a chance. i'll fill them next trip up.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Something worked this tree over during the winter in the cabin yard. Kept an eye out but never did see the culprit.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the work of a pileated. Lots of wood fibers st the base of the tree?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
oh yea!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Something worked this tree over during the winter in the cabin yard. Kept an eye out but never did see the culprit.
Gotta be Bigfoot   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had an Elm tree fall down this winter and it was from a Pileated pecking at the bottom of it.  Will be firewood this winter.  Huge pile of chips.  Hard to believe a bird could do that.  He must have been pretty mad.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta be Bigfoot   :happy1:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i was thinking the same thing!!!!!!1 :shocked:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen that on a couple of our big pines along the driveway here too. Caught 2 of those big Woody's out there working them over. :sad:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one here briefly this winter. Guessing that's what got after one ash tree. Lotsa bark on the ground around it. Hope it doesn't have emerald ash borer.

Definitely hearing white throated sparrows this a.m. Have been chipping sparrows here for over a week.  Goldfinches are sure getting lots more color to them.

These two have been hanging around the yard & pasture the past couple days. Guessing they're a couple of Jake's. Camera shy but fairly large & no beards I could see.
« Last Edit: April 04/30/22, 09:13:53 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
for what its worth, catching up on my daily papers, theres this guy that owns thew wild bird center in st cloud says that hummingbirds have been spotting in the twin cites?????

i dont take much stock in what he says yet i read in stuff. he wants to sell bird stuff mainly!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I did finally see one white-throated sparrow this afternoon. Saw one of the turkeys off & on. Then after chores this guy sauntered thru the backyard. Drizzly old afternoon & evening so far.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can add white-crowned sparrow to the list of birds migrating thru at the ranch. Still waiting for the Harris's sparrow to make an appearance.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Dotch........you gots some twigs and sticks to pick up!!!!!!! :smoking: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

we've had a few yellow finches the past couple days. just south of here heard someone had an oriole!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Waiting for the wrens to show up & haul all the sticks up to roony's... :whistling:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Waiting for the wrens to show up & haul all the sticks up to roony's... :whistling:
:happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I see the Mn DNR eagle cam set has only one chick left..  sounds like the bigger one pushed out the smaller one and they couldn't save it... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not many birds in the backyard since crows took up to nesting in the neighbor's pine trees.  :angry2:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I see the Mn DNR eagle cam set has only one chick left..  sounds like the bigger one pushed out the smaller one and they couldn't save it...
I heard a wren got it.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      At 17:45 Sunday, we saw our first Ruby Throated Hummingbird of the year. My wife put our hummingbird feeder out on Saturday.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Putting my hummingbird and oriole feeders out tomorrow!! :happy1: I done worked to hard today!!! :confused: I be tuckered out!! :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw my 1st Harris's sparrow of the season this afternoon so it didn't take long to see the sparrow trifecta (white-throated, white-crowned & Harris's). Have been seeing them come thru here for ~ 25 years. If I stay home tomorrow which I plan on I'll probably follow suit & put out the oriole & hummer feeders too. Out of suet cakes so it's time. 🕰

Whereabouts are you located TT? 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Bird flu hits home........
Every year we have purchased trees from the county. This year as we planned on where these trees would go and looking around, we found a turkey vulture in distress. I took pictures, and sent them to the raptor center. They had said that they couldn't come out..... anyways, the bird expired today.  :sad:

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Dotch, I'm west and a bit north of The Greater Metropolitan Amboy Area.
      Actually, as I sit here and think (never a good idea), I guess I live closer to Willow Creek.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: I hate when that happens, that thinking stuff. I bought some tractor wheel weights from some guy who restores International tractors somewhere out in the weeds south of Willow Creek. Have they done any work on Hwy 30 to the west of Amboy? Smooth as glass now from Bugtussle to Mapleton. I need to make a point of getting to Amboy for Swedish pancakes again someday. Have some friends who live there as well. 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard about them Willow Creekers.