Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298454 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They built the nest low in a bush.  They were up feeding today.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Mama was not happy when I took this pic...  I thought the coast was clear, but she was coming back with a mouthfull of worms.  Even with her mouth full, she could still chirp her displeasure.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they will working over time feeding them 4 birds!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's one for roony:

Was home making lunch a little bit ago. Whilst I was waiting for the microwave to nuke it, I spied a wren diving into one of the wife's flower pots so decided to investigate. All the sudden it popped back out with something in its mouth & landed on the porch. It had a relatively large moth about an inch long it fished out of the bridal veil plant. I wondered how in tarnation the little bugger was going to eat that thing. It proceed to hold it with its feet, very methodically tore the wings off, and swallowed the body. Coulda swore I heard a little belch afterwards... :doah:
« Last Edit: July 07/06/23, 04:16:00 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm shutting down my feeders!
It's almost like fall with the black birds infesting the yard.... I'm not feeding those bastards!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's one for roony:

Was home making lunch a little bit ago. Whilst I was waiting for the microwave to nuke it, I spied a wren diving into one of the wife's flower pots so decided to investigate. All the sudden it popped back out with something in its mouth & landed on the porch. It had a relatively large moth about an inch long it fished out of the bridal veil plant. I wondered how in tarnation the little bugger was going to eat that thing. It proceed to hold it with its feet, very methodically tore the wings off, and swallowed the body. Coulda swore I heard a little belch afterwards... :doah:
Yeah, I've seen rhem do the same thing with baby bluebirds.  :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We've solved that. The male house sparrows kill the adult female bluebirds on the nest so there are no babies to worry about... :embarrassed:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Watching a couple Cedar Waxwings and Robin eating on the choke cherries this morning. The waxwings show up in the yard when the choke cherries start getting ready.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Watching a couple Cedar Waxwings and Robin eating on the choke cherries this morning. The waxwings show up in the yard when the choke cherries start getting ready.
those are such cool looking birds!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The nest is getting crowded...

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And just like that... they're gone.

I only saw 2 birds in the nest last night.  I didn't know if the other two were under the top two or not...  Guess I know now.   :bonk:

When I took this pic, for some reason, mom was still anxious about me being near the nest, so I assumed the babies weren't too far away.  She was cheep, cheep, cheeping at me with a mouthful of bugs or worms.

Then I saw one of the little ones fly up, sans tail feathers, up to tree branch in the neighbor's yard.  It didn't look all that different from Woodstock flying up to its nest in the Peanuts cartoons.  I hope they all made it.
« Last Edit: July 07/11/23, 05:27:29 PM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good and fun pictorial.   :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
been seeing a couple brown thrashers here lately!!!! 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
found out yesterday how much blue jays like apples!!!   there were about a dozen or so in the tree and the area for over 2 hours!!  didn't know there were that many around here!!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have never seen a blue jay in our little apple trees.  One has a lot of apples this year. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
found out yesterday how much blue jays like apples!!!   there were about a dozen or so in the tree and the area for over 2 hours!!  didn't know there were that many around here!!!

They ruin a lot of ours in the fall along with the squirrels, robins and everything else.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
same here but the jays surprised me!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
done think my bluebirds flew the coop???? :scratch: havent seen them in a while........anyone else????

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
now I see the crows like my apples too!!!   they were in the tree and even carried some off!!  new one to me again like the bluejays!!!   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Wrens got mine
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: my wrens are fine!! :happy1: matter of fact there eating so many bugs there the size of bluebirds now!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
then they best get to eating the potatoe bus!!   I see they are back now too... 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
then they best get to eating the potatoe bus!!   I see they are back now too...
them friggin things are like the boxelder bugs...  :confused: :angry2: nuttin eats them. If birds did they'd be the size of eagles.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Saw my first potato beetles yesterday also. smashed them. Looked underside of  the leaves for eggs. Didn't find any. Hopefully got them first.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw this robin fledgling hopping around my back yard.  It didn't appear to be doing as well as the other baby robins that hatched in my bushes.  However, I went to check on it a couple of hours later, and it had moved on.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just amazing how fast they develop.  By the minute.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Are those smoking chips inside that lawn edging? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and tough too!!!   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Anyone still feeding the orioles? When I went to Canada there were still some young Baltimore orioles coming to the feeder. While I was gone the wife quit filling the feeder & since I've been back, they quit coming. I'd filled the nectar feeder in anticipation that would happen. Still putting a dab of jelly out every few days but I think the house sparrows are eating much of it.  :mad1: I have seen a mature adult male orchard oriole too from time to time but that's been about it.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We are going through grape jelly like crazy here. Your birds must have come here. There was a pause in activity a while back, probably when they were nesting.