Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298437 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Water.....and then.. ;)

couple cold beers and now a brandy water...    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
robins are still here!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
robins are still here!!
yea and I see loons on the lake too!!  :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Be kinda sweet to see though in Jan/feb... but you know what they say... see robins,they get snowed on 3 times!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure we will get more snow sometimes these next couple months...   I would think anyway!!!   :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, we got a ton of Robins running around here too....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a flicker back at the feeders this a.m. Other notables include blue hays, juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, cardinals, house finches, downies, hairies & a red belly. Not surprisingly, the feeders don't need filling as often. Thistle seed price is outrageous so bought a small bag of finch mix to tide them over. Still like the price of my ear corn-free!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
birds are nonexistent here at home. maybe get a few finches once a week that i notice!!

last time at the cabin they had cleaned out the feeders from the last time i was up. that peanut butter feeder .......that was emptied every night.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
A gang of really fat blue jays really gorging themselves here.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Bigfoot loves peanut butter.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Bigfoot loves peanut butter.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i kept looking for his tracks......but didnt find any.......... and my dog .'s hair on his back didnt stand up, so.....

i'm more concerned about them effin wolves........if anyone read that thread on IDO......i'm bringing a big gun up this next time!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's the  peanut butter  bird feeder I've been yapping about. The 1 at home anyway . This spring I'm gonna gather some oak birch and maple branches and  make some. :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good idea.  Did you make the holes and then fill with peanut butter or do you look for one with holes in it?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mom had these when we were cleaning out the house, so i decided to use them. i'm going to make some. the holes wer put in. i'd assume with wood auger bits. thats what i'm going to do.

with the way they clean them out at the cabin i need a few more.  :shocked:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like a good idea that your mother thought of.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like a good idea that your mother thought of.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i'd bet my step dad made them and thought of it from others!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   SO do add anything to the peanut butter or just give it to them straight?   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I mix sunflower seeds in the peanut butter 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Think I'll try that out west Glenn,  thanks.  I'm filling feeders here in town like they've never ate before.  The finches are just plain nuts. It's funny tho the neighbors brush piles house the sparrows,  in the afternoons they use my wheel wells as a hiding spot. I barely had the pick em up in park and they landed on my tires..

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
How bout tree rats, how you keeping them out?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
both the feeders i have like that at the cabin and here at home i have hanging from a Shepards hook away from trees. i've never noticed any tree rats around them...........there to busy under the sunflower feeders!!!!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
The peanut butter feeder I have is three 1”x 3” s about a foot long that are glued together with 1 1/2” holes drilled through them.   Same idea.  Bought some natural peanut butter with a bunch of different seeds already in it. I didn’t care for it myself, but I mixed sunflower chips and thistle in it to make it pretty thick and the birds really liked it. Especially the nuthatches.

When I bought this house there were several old birdhouses that someone had made out of birch about 6” high and 4” in diameter, hollowed out with some lathe shingles for a roof. They’ve all fallen apart now, but I keep thinking about making some new ones.
Could send the plans to you to attract some wrens, Roony.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman

17cal HMR.  ;)
mm

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to put sticky traps in the wren houses.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you really love wrens.  You may be a wren wrangler.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The bliebird killing sob's.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Noted a few more goldfinches yesterday. Starting to see some subtle hints of yellow on a few of them. Guessing they're the males. Chickadees are doing their springtime "fee-bee" call while the cardinals are starting to sing in the mornings. A couple of fox squirrels have been squashed in the road. Cats must've dragged them into the barn to snack on. Corn fed so they should be tasty.  :happy1: 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Dotch, your lucky. We haven't seen a goldfinch in a long time. Finch feeders haven't been touched.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The goldfinches appear to be real sporadic though. Saw them this a.m. then noticed they hadn't pulled the feeders down appreciably when I was home at lunchtime. There was a sudden smattering of goldfinches then and as quickly as they appeared, they were gone. Got a feeling the Cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks have been following them along with lots of other birds recently. Plus with the snow all gone, they've got access to lots of food other than what's in our feeders.