Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 335260 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I haven't seen our Baltimore Orioles lately.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
haven't seen them in close to a month. par for the course here.......i put those feeders away!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We are still feeding them a lot of grape jelly. I'm thinking some of them are young ones.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

had some at the bird bath lately... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still seeing some orioles here at the jelly feeder daily, both Baltimore & orchard types. Not the numbers we saw 7 - 10 days ago however. Also have catbirds frequently. Saw the first hummingbird in a while on the feeder outside the oval office. Haven't been as many this summer here as some years. They don't pull the sugar water down very fast. Suspect that'll change as August wears on. The cannas by the well are about to start flowering so that should keep them occupied. Plenty of morning glories too.  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We only have a couple hummingbirds here this year.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seeing orioles yet up here to. Also still seeing the Redhead in the seed feeder every night.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seeing orioles yet up here to. Also still seeing the Redhead in the seed feeder every night.
:sleazy: is thats redhead HOT!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao:

LPS wanted to know!!!!!! :doah: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/01/24, 03:39:33 PM by glenn57 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had 1 grackle visiting the feeder the last 2 days.  Hope all of his buddies don't show up now.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had 1 grackle visiting the feeder the last 2 days.  Hope all of his buddies don't show up now.
We have a few of his buddies at our place.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders since I got back from Crop Tour so need to do that. They're sure busy on the cannas, petunias, salvia, and numerous other flowering plants. Will also put out some of the remaining cheap jelly in case there are any oriole stragglers about. Time to refill the sunflower feeders too. A few goldfinches around the thistle feeders but they're hanging out in the CREP acreage as the composite family plants come online, producing the seeds they like.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the past few days the hummingbird's have really been nonstop busy here..... is winter coming LPS!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

unfortunately so have them friggin flies!!!!!!!!! training-087 training-087 :taz:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have to clean my hummer feeder tomorrow too.  Got cloudy fast this time. Done with the 90's Glenn.   :sleazy:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put some jelly out last nite. Thought I heard an oriole just before that but didn't see one. Something ate some of it. Numerous suspects including squirrels. Lotsa hummingbirds showing up. Cleaned and refilled the hummer feeders tonite. My gawd the mosquitoes are awful here! They're small and don't waste time. They land and bite, lots of them! Worst of all I've brought some of them back inside with me. Little pricks! :angry:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of hummingbirds here too. Orioles were really hammering the jelly. But that really slowed the last couple of days now. Wonder if they are starting to move southward.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just cleaned & put fresh in our hummingbird feeders in the last 2-3 days too. The 1 out front by the dock steps gets hit a lot harder so I keep a close eye on it. The flies been bad here too since late last week, even tough to go out in shorts for very long. :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard an oriole while I was doing chores this a.m. and sure enough, there was a fully colored male on the feeder when I came back in the house. Usually Labor Day marks about the end of their stay at the ranch. Didn't see the hummers but am pretty sure they're out there. Will refill the sunflower feeders tonite & see what shows up. Are some chickadees, nuthatches, house finches and blue jays hanging around. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just cleaned & put fresh in our hummingbird feeders in the last 2-3 days too. The 1 out front by the dock steps gets hit a lot harder so I keep a close eye on it. The flies been bad here too since late last week, even tough to go out in shorts for very long. :pouty:
wow........they moved in fast.........i couldnt believe how bug free it was when i was up there last week!!!!!!!! my kid is going to be there over the long weekend......it'll be interesting to see what he encounters!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice breeze here today so the bugs are having a tough time navigating. Hummers aren't. They're all over the place. Lots of orioles of all ages coming through. Got about one more fill of the cruddy jelly left for them so bought a jar of the good stuff for us. We'll share with them if need be.  :cool: Hasn't been near the activity at the sunflower feeders that I thought there might be altho I did see a female cardinal back again today.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still orioles here today. Made a swing thru town so got another jar of the cheap jelly that was on sale. Even if they don't eat it all, it'll keep just fine until they return next spring. Hummingbirds are having a blast, going from feeder to feeder and flower to flower then chasing each other all over the yard. Sure fun to watch.  :cool:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummers are still busy here.  We now have 2 grackles.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Not birds, but while I uncovered the boat I had three otters popping their heads up out of the water within about 10 feet.  The dog was going crazy, and I thought he might jump in. They hung around for about 10 minutes, popping up to watch and then slipping under only to do it again.  Fun to watch.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very cool.  Haven't see on in a long time.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Not birds, but while I uncovered the boat I had three otters popping their heads up out of the water within about 10 feet.  The dog was going crazy, and I thought he might jump in. They hung around for about 10 minutes, popping up to watch and then slipping under only to do it again.  Fun to watch.

they sure are!!

sitting outside a while ago I see a humming bird race up to my USMC flag, bright red, and suddenly stop and look at it..  tuned real fast and went to the apple and work over an apple!!   fun to watch..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Not a bird, but under the bird feeders.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Still lots of hummingbirds here yet. The orioles seem to have disappeared here.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't see an oriole this a.m. but thought I heard one during chores. Won't be long and they're gone. Hundreds of swallows have been grouping up on the electric lines across the road from the ranch daily. Flying insect pests have been taking a hit between them, the large barn spiders and toads. Some particularly large toads, about as wide as they are long, hopping around the barn recently hunting for flies. Fun to watch them pick them off.
« Last Edit: September 09/04/24, 09:23:04 AM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Not birds but the dragonflies have sure been thick here lately.