Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2018 gardens  (Read 59565 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
HD and JB thought laying the 'maters out in the garage was safe, but they didn't know a spy  was watching them...👀

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a cure for that.  :fudd:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Remember to cover them tightly....it's the ethylene gas given off by the 'maters that makes them ripen, and you want to keep that from escaping as much as possible. Helps with the taste, too....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the garden is now officially done for the year. looks like the cleomes got hit with frost, so a saved a bunch of seeds, anyone want any?????

picked and cleaned the last of the kalarabi. maybe a little cleanup yet and wait till spring!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What is a cleome?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Potatoes and carrots still in the ground. Potatoes killed last week with frost. They need a week to allow the skins to set. Carrots get sweeter when they know winter is coming.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
What is a cleome?
you'll need to google it. its a flower that gets like 4-6 ft tall. the hummingbirds like it ans well as bees and these hummingbird moths.

i first learned of them when one of my stepkids brought it home from school. as it grew i asked my wife where they got it, and why the school would send kids home with pot plants!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: leaves look similar!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
What is a cleome?

a type of flower...  nice looking one's too...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well ...... that didn't work as planned.... They all rotted without rippening....  :bonk:

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well ...... that didn't work as planned.... They all rotted without rippening....  :bonk:
in other words, you'll never listen to Reb again  :scratch: :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i got about 8 little golf ball size maters sitting in a bowl on the counter hoping they ripen, udderwise my tomatoes are gone!!!!!!! :pouty: :cry: :cry:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

See! I told ya to wrap 'em up in newspaper in three's and put 'em in a box inside!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

See! I told ya to wrap 'em up in newspaper in three's and put 'em in a box inside!!!!

Oh, go polish Mr sparkles... I didn't have a box, but I did put them in the basement.... not the garage....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not wrapped in newspaper, ya didn't! Yer startin' to sound just like Glenn!   :moon:  :evil:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

And you just shaddup, ya katchup junkie!   :doofus:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
If ya gots a big window sill that always works like a charm..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Check out the last paragraph.....and sometimes they'll do that if they've been bonked or had just a touch too much cold air, I don't know why.

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/vegetables/how-to-ripen-green-tomatoes
« Last Edit: October 10/04/18, 04:31:04 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Not wrapped in newspaper, ya didn't! Yer startin' to sound just like Glenn!   :moon:  :evil:

Nnnooooopppp, I just covered them with the newspaper....
Besides, Glenn's my hero!  :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Nnnooooopppp, I just covered them with the newspaper....
Besides, Glenn's my hero!  :rotflmao:

Ya, you guys make beautiful music together....ding & dong!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It's not that big a deal, they prolly got nipped by a little frost. Just like anyone else on here, kinda hate to throw it out if you don't need to...... but, it was worth a try.......

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had about 8 or 10 do that year before last for some reason. Seemed to be one in every three that were wrapped did it. Never did figger it out, but I'm pretty sure they all got a little nipped, maybe that was it.
« Last Edit: October 10/04/18, 05:33:20 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Yup looks like the got a touch of too much cold. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have a couple rows of taters to dig yet, but I pulled the rest of the kohlrabi for dinner....

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Might hafta try some dat kolerabi stuff next year.. I'm still hanging on to a few gold zucchini that doesn't seem to stop. One black beauty isn't quite there yet but I'll grill em soon to end the madness.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a couple rows of taters to dig yet, but I pulled the rest of the kohlrabi for dinner....

thats good eats!!! 

you like a radish but you won't these????????????    oh well!!!  you lose....  slice and eat and can be be cooked too...  oh well  have your fun.......................
« Last Edit: October 10/06/18, 07:37:39 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

thats good eats!!!

Heck, dog kibble is good eats to you!!  :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
whats the best way to store seeds for next year, I saved my pie pumpkins seeds to plant in a food plot next year and wann know how to save them.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dry them out, put them in a ziplock bag, put them someplace you done forget about and so they don't freeze.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i thought yu could freeze them, being one can get voluntary sprouts say from tomatoe and squase left over winter.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Seed packets in a store aren't froze, are they? Wash 'em, dry 'em on a paper towel in open air, and put in an envelope and seal it. That's what I did with my punkie seeds years ago.