Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2018 gardens  (Read 59581 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I happened to go to Menards for some new tomato cages. While I was there I found a couple things on clearance. They had kohlrabi in 6 packs for .94
So I bought 4 trays to fill the spot the radishes were.

Then..... I found a whole wine barrel for $89
I'm going to use it to cover up my well and put a glass top on it with a 🐦 bath.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
great scores!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
great scores!!!
YAH!! That different sized wine barrel looks great! make some dandelion in it!!! must have some great flavor already!!
« Last Edit: June 06/23/18, 03:49:53 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so i spent last weekend weeding the garden. the lettuce was pulled early last week, sat morning i cut and then pulled the spinach. in my garden ventures i notices tomatoes forming as well as a few peppers!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: man i cant wait. also seen where the kalarabi was starting to ball out. i am however very unhappy with my kalarabi seeds this year, there seemed to be alot of rutabega seeds in them, same brand same place i always or mostly get my seeds at fleet farm.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
rutabaga are good too...

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We planted Romaine lettuce in two of our flower boxes on the deck.  Works great.  We go out and cut a bunch and then rinse it and put in a gallon zip lock in the frig.  Makes salads for about 3 days.  By then it has grown up and we cut again.  Great tasting letttuce.  We love salads but get tired of buying it in the stores and throwing half of the head away.  I think we will do a grow light thing this winter in the basement for it too.  I told the wife with all of the money we are saving I may get a new boat.....??.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Wow! Yer neighbor's got a nice garden!!!   :happy1:  :rotflmao:

Mikey made me say that.   :bonk:
« Last Edit: June 06/26/18, 08:20:25 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I finally had time this morning to weed and tend the gardens.  Man things really grew up while I was doing other fun stuff.  Also tied up all the tomato plants so the fruit isn't on the ground.  Had a nice crop of potato bugs going so I threw everything I had at them.  Not sure just what kills them.  Onions are doing great and I just had to eat a few to prove it.  Picked a few cucumbers also.  I hope things don't get away from me while I'm gone next week. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I finally had time this morning to weed and tend the gardens.  Man things really grew up while I was doing other fun stuff.  Also tied up all the tomato plants so the fruit isn't on the ground.  Had a nice crop of potato bugs going so I threw everything I had at them.  Not sure just what kills them.  Onions are doing great and I just had to eat a few to prove it.  Picked a few cucumbers also.  I hope things don't get away from me while I'm gone next week.
back in the day when i planted spuds i used some type of powder. worst part then dang bugs moved over to the tomatoes. i havent planted potatoes in years so i am not sure whats out there.

i've been waging war on box elder bugs. been using a SEVIN product, ive been so disgusted and frustrated with that product i finally threw it out. it was a white liquid, always clogged the sprayer, seperated from the water so i'll be looking for something different.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dish soap and water kills boxelder bugs.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a limestone foundation on our house in Stillwater.  We had thousands of boxelder bugs on the foundation every year.  I heard that about the soapy dishwater being thrown on the bugs.  Well I did it and they all left.  Never came back and we were there for another 10 years or so. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i tried that.....there still around. i've heard the dish soap thing.............i personally am not convinced.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Dish soap worked forme,57 you got a food source That Sliver maple they love the sap,seed an leaf.They got their name cause the were found on Boxelder trees and that maple is its first cousin.Try dish soap on the tree trunk from ground up as high as you can.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
already have an outbreak of young elder bugs,they get all balled up on south facing structure and wood fences,100's in a basket ball size lump,must be a sex party of sort?,tried the dawn soap in  my sprayer all it did was dispurse the little vermon,maybe they ran off and died who knows.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I use this on the end of the hose. Mynards, Home Despot, $6. Spray sides of foundation and on the rock edging around house. Been using it for years. Couple years ago, put up overhead door and just about had to shovel the dead box elders off the ground. Had a sidewalk ant problem last year of them sneaking in somewhere around one rec room window, from behind the paneling. Finally figgered they were underground under all the rocks out front. Sprayed the rocks good and let it soak in. Yup. Dat took care of DAT.  Just be careful spraying on flowers or plants, it won't hurt them, but it WILL kill the bees. Don't wanna do that.  :azn:

« Last Edit: June 06/28/18, 12:29:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dish soap worked forme,57 you got a food source That Sliver maple they love the sap,seed an leaf.They got their name cause the were found on Boxelder trees and that maple is its first cousin.Try dish soap on the tree trunk from ground up as high as you can.
yea i knew that was what they like. not getting rid of that tree. it shades the house on sucky days like this!!! guess i dont look at it that close looks like i will tonite. they sure seam to like my granite rock chip border on the west and south side the house.

gonna look for a concentrate that mixes with water. got better control with one of them pump up sprayers.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you read my post???!!!!!    :confused:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i knew that was what they like. not getting rid of that tree. it shades the house on sucky days like this!!! guess i dont look at it that close looks like i will tonite. they sure seam to like my granite rock chip border on the west and south side the house.

gonna look for a concentrate that mixes with water. got better control with one of them pump up sprayers.
  They like residual heat in the gravel If yer down my way stop an get a hose end bottle of some stuff I got for lady asian beetles,Never used it I moved a herb garden an planted marygolds no more beetles.Dont remember the name but it was spose to be the best for them,I am locked inside in the air today morrow I go to st cloud maybe I'll drop it forgot i was goin through!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06/28/18, 01:00:26 PM by dew2 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you read my post???!!!!!
now why would i do that????????? :shocked: :doah: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys blind, or what??? HELLO!!  :surrender:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you read my post???!!!!!
now why would i do that????????? :shocked: :doah: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

FINE! Ya ask for help, the don't want it! Here, use this!!!!  :mooning:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

and i dont believe i asked for any help...........just stated what i was up against and gonna do about it!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:coffee:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
57 The bottle of insecticide I have is Ortho Max a red bottle like the one reb posted garden hose use.
I'll trade for a pac of yer nords??? Ya know the filetted ones from Moreys!!! I'll be going through CS at bout 9AM tomorrow morn.Ever try Malathion if it is even legal yet?I got a bottle of that for fruit bug infestations I had years ago. BAD STUFF it is

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
57 The bottle of insecticide I have is Ortho Max a red bottle like the one reb posted garden hose use.
I'll trade for a pac of yer nords??? Ya know the filetted ones from Moreys!!! I'll be going through CS at bout 9AM tomorrow morn.Ever try Malathion if it is even legal yet?I got a bottle of that for fruit bug infestations I had years ago. BAD STUFF it is
you gut a deal...........there even boneless!!!!!