Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods  (Read 17025 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What do you think?

We at DICK'S Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones.

But thoughts and prayers are not enough. We have to help solve the problem that's in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that's taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America - our kids.

We deeply believe that this country's most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
No comment...can still be drafted, go fight...but can't legally buy a gun. Holy 1969 again... :doah:
« Last Edit: February 02/28/18, 06:41:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
No comment...can still be drafted, go fight...but can't legally buy a gun. Holy 1969 again... :doah:

or drink a beer legally..........  been there done it...........
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Who cares all they sell is Yoga pants and Golf clubs. Never go in the place anymore.  :coffee:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
"If yer a Richard, go to Dick's"... :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Who cares all they sell is Yoga pants and Golf clubs. Never go in the place anymore.  :coffee:

How do you know that?  :confused:  :whistling:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Who cares all they sell is Yoga pants and Golf clubs. Never go in the place anymore:coffee:

Did you miss something?  See Bold above :doofus:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Who cares all they sell is Yoga pants and Golf clubs. Never go in the place anymore:coffee:

Did you miss something?  See Bold above :doofus:

Nope.

ANYMORE:    an·y·more     

ˌenēˈmôr/Submit
adverb
to any further extent; no longer.
"she refused to listen anymore"                        :doofus:

Figgered ya meant when ya USED to go in there for yoga pants and clubs.... ;)

« Last Edit: February 02/28/18, 09:35:32 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
                                                                                                 :popcorn: :popcorn:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman

This decision also impacts Field and Stream stores that are just like Gander Mountain all over the Eastern United States.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This decision also impacts Field and Stream stores that are just like Gander Mountain all over the Eastern United States.

And Field and Stream - the store - has nothing to do with Field and Stream - the magazine.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/field-and-stream-is-not-affiliated-with-dicks-sporting-goods

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

If Dick decides not to sell "Assault" weapons, that is his prerogative, and I have no problems with his decision.

But to refuse to sell guns or ammunition to people under 21 - where there is no law preventing it - sounds like discrimination to me.  Where is the ACLU when you need them?!?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There's currently no law against selling "assault weapons" either. Especially since there is no designated law defining "assault weapon".  It's their choice either way in both cases.
« Last Edit: March 03/01/18, 10:57:18 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There's currently no law against selling "assault weapons" either. Especially since there is no designated law defining "assault weapon".  It's their choice in both cases.

I'm not so sure.  If I choose not to sell Snickers in my candy store, that is my choice.  If I choose not to sell a gun to a Muslim or minority in my gun store - that is discrimination - and the ACLU would be all over me.  Why is it different for 21 year-olds?

Please let me know if there are laws in place that allow stores to refuse to sell to law-abiding people because they don't want to.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There's currently no law against selling "assault weapons" either. Especially since there is no designated law defining "assault weapon".  It's their choice in both cases.

I'm not so sure.  If I choose not to sell Snickers in my candy store, that is my choice.  If I choose not to sell a gun to a Muslim or minority in my gun store - that is discrimination - and the ACLU would be all over me.  Why is it different for 21 year-olds?

Please let me know if there are laws in place that allow stores to refuse to sell to law-abiding people because they don't want to.
i dont know Steve-o............ there's alot of stores that have that infamous sign.............we have the right to refuse service to anybody thats seems to hold up to father time.

not that i dont disagree with your train of thought! like i said before, they can serve in the military vote drive......................

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's just the next step they are at before they stop selling guns and ammo in totality. Still allows them to make money while appearing/attempting to "help the issue".
« Last Edit: March 03/01/18, 10:39:01 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
... while appearing/attempting to "help the issue".

You hit the nail on the head!  Even the Repubs need to appear to be helping solve the issue now - even if the current theory that more gun restrictions won't help the problem at all.

The problem is we don't take care of our mentally ill.
The problem is our kids are desensitized to gun violence through video games and media at an early age.
The problem is there are too many broken homes where children are not taught to respect life.

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's my take on this. Rules/laws are always changing for all because of the actions of a few. I will say that if it prevents or decrease this from happening so be it. As for the companys not wanting to sell certain types of guns it's their choice to do so. If anything it'll help out the little independent gun shop owner instead of large corporations. You can't buy tobacco unless your 18, alcohol 21 so if you can't buy ammo or guns until your 21 so be it. It'll be just like tobacco and alcohol if you want it someone will get it for you. I do agree there shouldn't be a ban on assault type weapons but there should be an age restriction on any type of gun that is not considered a hunting gun. I know it's not a popular opinion here but it's mine. Smite away   :doah:
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
I do agree there shouldn't be a ban on assault type weapons but there should be an age restriction on any type of gun that is not considered a hunting gun. I know it's not a popular opinion here but it's mine. Smite away   :doah:

What guns would you NOT consider a hunting gun?

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman

And Field and Stream - the store - has nothing to do with Field and Stream - the magazine.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/field-and-stream-is-not-affiliated-with-dicks-sporting-goods

I never said that it did.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I never said that it did.

Sorry, my bad... I didn't mean to imply that you did.  I was just trying to add another point.

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I do agree there shouldn't be a ban on assault type weapons but there should be an age restriction on any type of gun that is not considered a hunting gun. I know it's not a popular opinion here but it's mine. Smite away   :doah:

What guns would you NOT consider a hunting gun?
I was going to say any semi automatic. Here in Pennsylvania hunters were only allowed to start using semi automatic guns to hunt with last year and since I haven't hunted in over 10 years I didn't know of that change, but in my opinion if you need a semi auto to hunt with then your a pretty lousy shot and should go to the range and practice some.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I know that I've got a very unpopular opinion with most folks that sit on my "side of the isle"...

I wish that the so-called Assault Weapons Ban had never been allowed to expire.  It is tough to dispute that these weapons posses more "firepower" than traditional hunting weapons.  If this were not the case, our soldiers would all be carrying Remington 700s and 870s.

It is my own personal opinion that the RISK making this level of firepower easily obtainable by people who would perpetrate evil with them is HIGHER than the REWARD of making them available to ordinary citizens to defend their homes.

The problem is that the "left" was working so hard to eliminate ALL guns that the "right" felt the need to work equally hard to make them ALL legal - even if prudence might have dictated that we reserve "military-style" weapons for the military and law enforcement.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I must live under a rock,haven't seen a dicks sport shop in many years,besides better places to purchase firearms and other outdoor goods these days.They're loss I guess,that is if they were ever a player selling guns.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I know that I've got a very unpopular opinion with most folks that sit on my "side of the isle"...

I wish that the so-called Assault Weapons Ban had never been allowed to expire.  It is tough to dispute that these weapons posses more "firepower" than traditional hunting weapons.  If this were not the case, our soldiers would all be carrying Remington 700s and 870s.

It is my own personal opinion that the RISK making this level of firepower easily obtainable by people who would perpetrate evil with them is HIGHER than the REWARD of making them available to ordinary citizens to defend their homes.

The problem is that the "left" was working so hard to eliminate ALL guns that the "right" felt the need to work equally hard to make them ALL legal - even if prudence might have dictated that we reserve "military-style" weapons for the military and law enforcement.

I would not say that an AR has more firepower. There many many calibers that have more fire power. You could say that it can hold more ammo, but that is it. How about instead of always trying to take away guns from law abiding citizens, we work on ways to stop the evil SOBs. Even if you take away the guns, they will find another way. Pressure cookers for instance. Why is there no uproar to ban those or ban diesel and fertilizer. I think it is time to left teachers carry a gun if they chose to or have armed guards in schools. Someone needs to be there onsite not 10 minutes away to stop the bad guy. Only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman

I would not say that an AR has more firepower. There many many calibers that have more fire power. You could say that it can hold more ammo, but that is it. How about instead of always trying to take away guns from law abiding citizens, we work on ways to stop the evil SOBs. Even if you take away the guns, they will find another way. Pressure cookers for instance. Why is there no uproar to ban those or ban diesel and fertilizer. I think it is time to left teachers carry a gun if they chose to or have armed guards in schools. Someone needs to be there onsite not 10 minutes away to stop the bad guy. Only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
What about the teacher the other day that went off the deep end and brought a gun to school and barricaded himself in the room before he shot out the window and had to be talked down before he hurt someone. Even the good guys with guns can have a bad day or something goes wrong in their life and they shoot up a school, kids and fellow teachers because they were aloud to bring their gun to school no questions asked.
The age limit on guns and ammo is all about maturity and right now kids and young adults haven't shown they are mature enough. Like I said earlier a few bad apples change rules/laws for the many good law abiding citizens.
« Last Edit: March 03/01/18, 01:34:35 PM by Coffee118 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I would not say that an AR has more firepower. There many many calibers that have more fire power.

Certainly there are guns that shoot rounds that are more powerful than those that are typically shot out of ARs.  I was using the term firepower in the general sense of being able to put the maximum number of human-lethal rounds downrange accurately in the minimum amount of time.

If you are a private citizen, and that is your intent, then the AR platform is your huckleberry.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Are we really gonna get into firepower and what's better? Then we have to bring in the TKDF vs. muzzle velocity and penetration power and blah blah blah. These nutballs just want lotsa FIREPOWER which is the ability to spew out rounds per second. Kinda like the probs with the M16 in 'nam that shot 5.56mm rounds, VS the inaccurate M-14 which shot the 7.62 mm. Guys said the 5.56 was too small without enough of a TDF, but it was more accurate and had a greater capacity....but Special Forces loved the M-16....blah blah blah....naaa, we ain't gonna do that.
They just wanna spray people with bullets and hope it accomplishes their sick intentions. That's my opinion, anyway. They could do it with a .22 with a drum mag if they wanted to. They'll start copying ISIS and doing more bombs if they can't get the guns. Those are easy to make.......the whackos always find a way with their warped minds.
« Last Edit: March 03/01/18, 01:57:14 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
all i know is i'm staying outta these gun threads for a while till things settle down out in the real world. we can agree to disagreee but to get butthurt here amongst friends and get pissy aint worth it to me!!!!!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender: