Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Which line do you use  (Read 3181 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I finally spent a few gift cards from Christmas and bought myself a new bait caster.  The rod is a 7 foot heavy action rod.  The guy at Cabela's recamended Suffix 40 pound test.  Plan on using this setup for bass and pike in the slop.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
i have used fire line for years, it works for me...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
For live bait fishing (dead sticking) or (slip bobbering) I use Stren Magnathin labeled (Walleye line) It's green.  I can anchor and dead stick with clients with 3 rods per person (Wisconsin only). *80% of da fish are caught on da Magnathin v/s the other lines used. The 6# test is da equivalent of 2.7#.

I use 6# clear blue fluoresent Stren for casting small to medium size baits. When drag fishing live, plastics baits or jigs. I'm a big rod tip & line watcher and clear blue fluorescent Stren shows up great with yer sunglasses.

Power Pro is what I use for big fish forward trolling with a clear fluorocarbon line leader.

For back trolling for Walleye & Bass I use 6# clear blue fluorescent Stren even in Minnesota's rocky lakes.

I fish spinning tackle and love 7 ft M/L action rods .
« Last Edit: February 02/17/18, 04:10:43 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
For live bait fishing (dead sticking) or (slip bobbering) I use Stren Magnathin labeled (Walleye line) It's green.  I can anchor and dead stick with clients with 3 rods per person (Wisconsin only). *80% of da fish are caught on da Magnathin v/s the other lines used. The 6# test is da equivalent of 2.7#.

I use 6# clear blue fluoresent Stren for casting small to medium size baits. When drag fishing live, plastics baits or jigs. I'm a big rod tip & line watcher and clear blue fluorescent Stren shows up great with yer sunglasses.

I fish spinning tackle and love 7 ft M/L action rods .

Never thought I'd agree with the ol' gas bubble hisself, but the Stren Magnathin in dark green is what I used for walleye and tournaments fishing. For pannies, I use the Stren Crappie mono in gold, or the clear blue Stren.......goin' on forty years now.

Boy, have I got a couple 7' M M/L action walleye rods I bet you'd like to have....a  signed Gary Roach and a signed Ken Cook Lightning rods...with both the Shimano's spooled wid da green Stren walleye line... :evil:
« Last Edit: February 02/17/18, 04:38:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I use the 30 pound Spider wire for Pike & Bass.... love it....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Just for 3 lb fish??  :rotflmao:   :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

He ment ta say he uses it on his 30 lb anchor.  Com-on now HD stop! :banghead:

Pullin our leg!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02/17/18, 04:58:13 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got 6# mono on my walleye riggin set up & 4# on my panfish rod. The bouncer rod has 8# mono. I can't tell what brand as we have quite a selection that we've gathered over the years. Even some cheap Cabela's 3000 yd spools of the 4#, that gets changed pretty often. I have another spinning set up with 6# Fireline  too. A lot of fluoro for my leaders, anywhere from 4-12#. I don't fish bass or pike very often.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to mention 4lb on the pannie rods, and 6 lb on some of the the walleye rods. 8 lb on the other ones when trolling a shallow, weedy lake like Minnewawa with a flatfish or large wobble spoon for norderns.  Here Lee; pull my finger.  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/17/18, 05:06:36 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

We cast and troll for Pike & Muskie....Bass are just an accidental fish, but fun to catch.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I have Berkeley Vanish on all my rods, different lb. test for whatever I'm fishing for.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to mention my heavier spinning set up, used mostly for casting cranks or swimbaits. It's a medium action 7' rod with a bigger Quantum reel spooled with 14# Fireline & 12# Vanish tied in to that & then a short light wire leader tied in to that. Been hearing a lot of good things about the Suffix 832 braid & if I was going to try something different, I give that a shot. Suffix is a real braid & Fireline is more of a fused line, I think.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Big fan of suffix products.  Most of my rods have the smallest diameter green 832 on them, very strong and super sensitive. Do a lot of dragging lindy's and jigging with a couple different good quality St. Croix rods. Trolling nortens I still use the the smallest 832.
Have to keep in mind some of the braid out there is tough on the rod eye's,  but 832 I've had no issues.  I run suffix mono on the pan fish rods..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Big fan of suffix products.  Most of my rods have the smallest diameter green 832 on them, very strong and super sensitive. Do a lot of dragging lindy's and jigging with a couple different good quality St. Croix rods. Trolling nortens I still use the the smallest 832.
Have to keep in mind some of the braid out there is tough on the rod eye's,  but 832 I've had no issues.  I run suffix mono on the pan fish rods..

Right you are. I put pure silicone spray on the inside frequently with a Q-tip...will not harm the line. That's why I like the rods with the ceramic line guide inserts. You want to make sure yer roller bail guide on spinning reels spins freely and is lubed well, too.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 02/18/18, 09:13:58 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I've pretty much gone to Suffix 832 on all my summer rods with usually about a 5' fluorocarbon leader.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I said I use nothing but vanish and I have no rods strung with anything heavier than 10lb test, mostly 6 and 8 lb test. It has low stretch when jigging and low twist when trolling. Ive never had a break off. Without derailing anything here, if you buy the top end rods and especially reels you won't need heavy test or braided line. I learned that from an old musky fisherman. He said all he ever used was 10 lb test with a 12" wire leader when fishing for pike/musky but he bought top of the line reels to handle the quick and strong runs that any fish throws his way.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I finally spent a few gift cards from Christmas and bought myself a new bait caster.  The rod is a 7 foot heavy action rod.  The guy at Cabela's recamended Suffix 40 pound test.  Plan on using this setup for bass and pike in the slop.

I assume you are talking Mono or Fluorocarbon? I quit using braid line for any of the "Toothy" fish.. Been bit off several times on pike using braid. Doesn't seem to matter what lb test I use.Suffix is a good brand and I've had good luck with it. I think you made a good choice.
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I assume you are talking Mono or Fluorocarbon? I quit using braid line for any of the "Toothy" fish.. Been bit off several times on pike using braid. Doesn't seem to matter what lb test I use.Suffix is a good brand and I've had good luck with it. I think you made a good choice.
well hey hey stranger!; :sleazy: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!