Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Just for ya know (no I'm not from Wisc)  (Read 6808 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think the way the website looks and navigates.... sucks...
I have been working with the simple machines "themes" and they don't work for me.
So, to keep you in the loop.... I'm looking for a website designer to help me get what I want... (A site that is easy to navigate and looks good on a phone and a PC.)

So don't be surprised if you see some changes, but it may take some time to get the design I want. If you know a designer, let me know....

HD
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dont overdue your noggin HD.  I think the site is great and easy to navigate.  Although I don't do it on the phone.  I have an Iphone 7 and it is just too small of a screen for me to do much.  And maybe I need to just try it more often.  One thought I have is when I want to post a new topic and I have to go to Forums and pick one that is closest to my subject and then post on it.  I don't think anyone even knows what page it is on when they click on a thread.  I don't.  But it does give us some ad space which is cool as heck.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree with LPS, 100% pc for me, so it's fine the way it is for me. :cool: But it's your baby HD, so you should have it the way you want. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I use my fone for the sit 95 percent of the tim. Ive a droid fone. I scroll easily thru the site, post pics no prob start topics no prob. The lastes post are displayed, ive no issues
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I use my fone for the sit 95 percent of the tim. Ive a droid fone. I scroll easily thru the site, post pics no prob start topics no prob. The lastes post are displayed, ive no issues
me either cept for posting friggin pictures. UGH.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
me either cept for posting friggin pictures. UGH.

That's just operator error.... can't fix st.... Awe never mind....

What I don't like, for the most part, is the phone version of the site. We want it inviting for new members to sign up. Some phones don't have a "desktop" version available, and it doesn't navigate well.
The phone version, should be similar to the PC version and shouldn't have to expand to view what you want.
I will be compressing some of the extra forums that are not used into the ones that are, to reduce space.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea well I posted pictures just fine until.....so it wasn't me!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
HD this is your deal and you should be proud of it.  You may be looking to make this a huge site to sell or whatever and I don't even care and it is not my business.  BUT a lot of us were on a different site that was looking for all of the new members that they could get so they could make more money.  Well you know how that worked out.  The more people the more rules have to be involved to keep things the way they were......  Sure hope we can all stay friends here. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, nothing is gonna change in that aspect...
You boys can and will be able to post what you want (cause your liable, not me)  :rotflmao:

Just gonna keep it a free site, not asking for donations or anything....

I'm just not happy with the way it looks, or navigating on a phone. I do most of my updates from the phone.... and even for me, it's tough to do my stuff.  :banghead:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey we appreciate everything you do here for us  :happy1: I'm not afraid to say i go to 3 other sites frequently, even moderate on one, this is by far the most active out there. Heck the one just put me on a restriction where my posts needs to be approved by mods. :crazy: I contacted them 4 days ago asking why and still no response. :doofus: :doofus: and yet they have a post asking for ideas  to get more members, when the guys post the hard knock truths they delete those posts.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I also do another site WC.  Not near as fun as here but something to look at. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I also do another site WC.  Not near as fun as here but something to look at.
weather channel?? :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think you guys are missing my intent.....

I just want it to look nicer, and work better. For ALL of us <<< This is the main point

Look at the background of the site, the wood looks crisp and clear, the panel next one in from that, behind the white panels, is always been blurry....bugs the crap out of me...

The front page, I moved the recent panel to the left side to see if I could fix the article panel width...that didn't work....bugs the crap out of me...

On a cell phone, the main banner is cut off, and the tool bar is all clumped up....bugs the crap out of me....
(this happened with the last updated we had to do)

I get emails from outside people saying "your website is a mess"
I've got PM's from members saying "your site is way to cluttered, and hard to find anything"

We have posts on here that are over 10 years old, if I dump any old content, it effects whomever posted on the thread by lowering there post count....another one that bugs the crap out of me...

The site needs a facelift to keep it up and running when the updates are needed. The software is outdated.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make this a super huge site like Facebook, and start implementing Marshall law  :drillsergeant: (like the other site) and have a bunch of adds run across your face to get you to buy something. And I'm not gonna post a blue box asking for money.... I don't roll that way

I know you guys aren't used to a site owner letting you know about stuff, I'm pretty upfront and want you guys to know when stuff gets changed around, or looks different. Unless, you don't wanna know?

This ain't a union shop.. (I like to get things done)  ;)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts

I just want it to look nicer, and work better. For ALL of us <<< This is the main point

Look at the background of the site, the wood looks crisp and clear, the panel next one in from that, behind the white panels, is always been blurry....bugs the crap out of me...

Hey HD - Wondering if the same crisp wood background could be used to replace the blurry panel? Do you have access to those 2 pieces of art? I might be able to do something with it or substitute another piece of art for the blurry background. Seems like a resolution issue.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Hey HD - Wondering if the same crisp wood background could be used to replace the blurry panel? Do you have access to those 2 pieces of art? I might be able to do something with it or substitute another piece of art for the blurry background. Seems like a resolution issue.

Yes sir, you are correct. It is a resolution issue.
I'm sure I have access to it, just don't know where to find it.
If you have ever dug into a website, it has a map (of sorts) to make it work. If it's not written by you, the way things are labeled make it hard to navigate and find what you want to change. Every font, background, picture, button, icon etc. has a % size, pxl size, width size and height size....if you adjust one, it may change another.

Since I am more of a mechanical guy, I would refer to it as "Ladder Logic"
If you change one thing, it effects another thing, and it must do this action, before it can do the next action.
Since I have never really been a "Tech Geek" it takes longer for me. That's why I was looking for a website designer to help me understand the "Logic"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think I have the phone version looking better.....  :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
WOW did the home page change!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  I see what ya mean touch one thing and the chain reaction takes off!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yow!! Too big now! Log in or out button disappeared.. :azn:
« Last Edit: May 05/27/18, 10:07:28 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is it just me?? I can't find the log in or log out button.... :scratch:   :rotflmao:

If I downsize the screen to 75% (tiny) on the page ZOOM function (in upper corner of most 'puters) THEN it and gallery button appear....normally set at 110% size image.
« Last Edit: May 05/27/18, 10:33:22 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
are you on a pc Reb? Do you use explorer or modzilla for a browser?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

PC (laptop)  and Chrome for a browser. It's back to "normal" now....just FYI, I've never had an issue with the way the site is, works for me. :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

PC (laptop)  and Chrome for a browser. It's back to "normal" now....just FYI, I've never had an issue with the way the site is, works for me. :happy1:

Thanks buddy!
I'll just have to live with the phone version being ef'ed up till I can find a website designer to talk to.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

The front page, I moved the recent panel to the left side to see if I could fix the article panel width...that didn't work....bugs the crap out of me...

On a cell phone, the main banner is cut off, and the tool bar is all clumped up....bugs the crap out of me....
(this happened with the last updated we had to do)

I get emails from outside people saying "your website is a mess"
I've got PM's from members saying "your site is way to cluttered, and hard to find anything"

We have posts on here that are over 10 years old, if I dump any old content, it effects whomever posted on the thread by lowering there post count....another one that bugs the crap out of me...

The site needs a facelift to keep it up and running when the updates are needed. The software is outdated.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make this a super huge site like Facebook, and start implementing Marshall law  :drillsergeant: (like the other site) and have a bunch of adds run across your face to get you to buy something. And I'm not gonna post a blue box asking for money.... I don't roll that way

I know you guys aren't used to a site owner letting you know about stuff, I'm pretty upfront and want you guys to know when stuff gets changed around, or looks different. Unless, you don't wanna know?

This ain't a union shop.. (I like to get things done)  ;)
HEY!!!!!!! :confused: :shocked: training-087 :banghead: :taz: :taz: :taz: I protest that last comment!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HD, stop fiddlin'! Now it's all "compressed"!!!!!  :doah:   ;)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
HD, stop fiddlin'! Now it's all "compressed"!!!!!  :doah:   ;)

Sorry...it's like a mosquito bite...I can't stop itching....