Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: garage door opener  (Read 5268 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so how hard is it really to install a new garage door opener. we had scheduled to have a garage door company out of st cloud put in a new opener. they installed a new door not to far back.

today was the day they were scheduled but they called my wife said they need to reschedule because they have a huge installation today.  :angry2: :confused: this totally pizzed me off. so no way in he77 are they going to get my business. i'm going to menards to get one and do it myself. i know a few guys that have put some in.........feed them a few beers after there done..............

and before anyone goes there, i am an avid believer in having an experienced licensed/insured / bonded outfit do this type of work for various reasons.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
As long as the wife reads the instructions to you in triplicate,  you should be fine!!  :happy1: :mooning: Naw shouldn't be a big deal, some counties have different codes as far as having an outlet next to the unit for power..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
outlet is already there. i'm replacing an opener that went KAPUT!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: hey she needs pictures..........i dont!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
READ INSTRUCTIONS> Up/down opening/closing force VERY important as is length of opening and closing track travel.....and proper torsion spring tension. Rails MUST be aligned vertically proper and equidistant from door header and frame.. That's all I'm gonna say.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
READ INSTRUCTIONS> Up/down opening/closing force VERY important as is length of opening and closing track travel.....and proper torsion spring tension. Rails MUST be aligned vertically proper and equidistant from door header and frame.. That's all I'm gonna say.
red above............ :confused: they already installed the new door a couple years ago!! its just the door opener i'm REPLACING!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, we know... :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my trick.  Buy the same brand you are replacing.  If the models match up, you can still leave the old chain track in place along with the connections to the door.  All you need to do is loosen the chain, unbolt the motor head, and put the new one back on.

But like Reb said, read and re-read the directions for getting travel direction and force set correctly.  It ain't rocket science, but a dolt like me has to read 'dem instructions many times before it sinks in.  I usually find a way to muck it up and it ends up trying to pull the door up through the rafters.  Like I said, I'm a dolt.

Afterwards I have a box of spare parts that I keep lying around until it wears out again.  And then I swap out the head again.  I throw away the old spare parts and keep the new ones.  I'm on my 3rd opener in 25 years.  The first was replaced a month after we moved in.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
red above............ :confused: they already installed the new door a couple years ago!! its just the door opener i'm REPLACING!!!!!

Nuclear fission starts with the push of just one button.... "Oh, I'm just replacing the button"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I put in lots and replace lots.  Not a big deal.  Do it yourself.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my trick.  Buy the same brand you are replacing.  If the models match up, you can still leave the old chain track in place along with the connections to the door.  All you need to do is loosen the chain, unbolt the motor head, and put the new one back on.

But like Reb said, read and re-read the directions for getting travel direction and force set correctly.  It ain't rocket science, but a dolt like me has to read 'dem instructions many times before it sinks in.  I usually find a way to muck it up and it ends up trying to pull the door up through the rafters.  Like I said, I'm a dolt.

Afterwards I have a box of spare parts that I keep lying around until it wears out again.  And then I swap out the head again.  I throw away the old spare parts and keep the new ones.  I'm on my 3rd opener in 25 years.  The first was replaced a month after we moved in.
putting a new one in cause I can't get parts for the one I got. :pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I put in lots and replace lots.  Not a big deal.  Do it yourself.
that's the plan deadeye! :happy1:

Reb  :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:azn:

Yup, it from Menards alright.
:scratch: :scratch: we bought 2 from there to put in the new shed up north. pretty sure there genie openers. there supposed to be good openers. :scratch: :scratch:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Who posts videos of themselves f-ing up?  People are nuts.
 :crazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

Yup, it from Menards alright.
:scratch: :scratch: we bought 2 from there to put in the new shed up north. pretty sure there genie openers. there supposed to be good openers. :scratch: :scratch:

Just kidding Glenn, Genies are pretty good. They have one series that the power head has a lifetime warranty. I can’t remembered were I bought mine, but it crapped out on me, and Genie sent me a new one.
Good luck

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm with DE.... it's not that hard, do it yourself.  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta give Glenn sh**,  ya know. Genies are good openers, and no, a retrofit isn't hard.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well mission accomplished. New garage door opener installed, done, finished. :rocker; :rocker; :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce:even works too!! :mooning: :happy1: finally had an extra set of hands for assistance.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Does it go up and down when ya hit the TV remote?  :confused:  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: I better go out and check!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well mission accomplished. New garage door opener installed, done, finished. :rocker; :rocker; :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce:even works too!! :mooning: :happy1: finally had an extra set of hands for assistance.
Interpretation:  "had an extra set of hands for assistance"  Actually means.  The wife installed it and I helped her.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   No I do think you really did it Glenn..........  :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: I better go out and check!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I heard that happened to Lee after his implant..... :whistling:    :censored:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :laugh: ;)
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar