Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2019 gardens  (Read 56500 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Just picked 3 small cukes.  Gonna have a great salad tonight.  We have so much lettuce that this morning we made smoothies.  Put a wad of lettuce, with a bit of water and blend till no chunks.  Then add 1/2 banana and a jag of frozen raspberries cuz that is what we had and blended up in our Ninja.  Tasted great.  May add yogurt next time.  I really liked it. 

Freeze that on a stick, and you'll have a new taste treat just in time for the State Fair!!
« Last Edit: August 08/04/19, 11:07:08 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Ya better let those weeds stay in yer garden, Glenn!!   ;)

https://kttc.com/news/minnesota-news/2019/08/03/the-bee-population-in-mn-is-decreasing/
not happening in this garden. I gots plenty of flowers for them!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just pulled out all my onions from the garden.  Holy Hannah do I got onions. :doofus: :doofus:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, when do you pull yellow onions? I pulled one today that had a 36" green with a flower on it today...the bulb was only the size of a silver dollar...  :confused:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Did a gallon of Sun pickles today, 3 days in the sun one in the fridge..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya leave 'em in the sun??!!! Never heard of that!  They don't get mushy?
 Boy, those are nice shiny tops!  :whistling:
« Last Edit: August 08/04/19, 05:48:12 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So, when do you pull yellow onions? I pulled one today that had a 36" green with a flower on it today...the bulb was only the size of a silver dollar...  :confused:
when I see those flowers I pluck them.

Depends on when you planted them. I usually pull mine after they start laying down and you notice the green start drying up. I also quit watering them a good 3 weeks ago.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
what if the sun don't shine??? :confused: :scratch:

Yea never heard of them either, but my FIL pickled fish once, NOT frigerated? :doofus:
« Last Edit: August 08/04/19, 06:31:31 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The mrs did em today, this recipe has been in her family for decades she says, explains alot I said.. I'll let her try em first.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The mrs did em today, this recipe has been in her family for decades she says, explains alot I said.. I'll let her try em first.

Prolly cuz no one would eat the pickles.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: there ready to eat after 4 days??? I let all my stuff sit at least a month to meld!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: there ready to eat after 4 days??? I let all my stuff sit at least a month to mold!!

There! I done fixed it for ya!  :smiley:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That time of year. Couldn't resist...

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Some of our gardening efforts in the small garden plot. Hummingbirds & sphinx moths should be happy with the cannas & 4 o'clocks coming online.

« Last Edit: August 08/05/19, 10:06:29 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LP man was out the other day for the summer fill. Had to laugh because the tiger lilies were taller than he was!  :cool:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow! Beautiful! There could be an entire smurf village hidden in there!  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow! Beautiful! There could be an entire smurf village hidden in there!  :rotflmao:
:smoking: :sleazy: and he wonders why he had so much fun!! :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Dotch, since you already have my address, send me one if them crop failure forms. I took a good look at the garden tonight. :cry: :cry: I figure it's worth a half mil in crop failure. :happy1:

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
Those tiger lilies are really going nuts.  Cannas are a little weak.  Late planting? ;)
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
As you know I have mentioned how great our lettuce garden is doing.  Now we are having green smoothies in the mornings to utilize our lettuce.  Now the cukes are coming around and will be added.  The apples are going to be added tomorrow too.  SO this is the second one of these caterpillars I have found in the last few days.  What is it?  It is ok to freeze lettuce to use in smoothies.  I may have to harvest it all so these bugs don't get it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know THAT one...that's an army worm!!!! Bad little dudes.....

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/garden-pests/armyworm-control/

Lettuce won't freeze; way too much water in it....sorry, Barry! Get a rabbit!  :smiley:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Correctamundo Rebs! I think you should send Barry some of yer little humping bugs in trade! Those worms while adding protein to the smoothies wouldn't have the nice crunchy texture that the humping bugs would... :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Correctamundo Rebs! I think you should send Barry some of yer little humping bugs in trade! Those worms while adding protein to the smoothies wouldn't have the nice crunchy texture that the humping bugs would... :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
Those tiger lilies are really going nuts.  Cannas are a little weak.  Late planting? ;)

Cannas were planted later than I'd like, May 26th into cold, wet soil conditions. Corn mudded in that same timeframe around here looks like crap. Solar radiation and GDU accumulation into mid-month in June were lousy. Areas of that bed are partially shaded until about noon. The cannas also have to get their heads above the peonies planted directly to their south that really had a jump on them this year. The peonies just keep getting bigger every year. The canna emergence in that bed was erratic, this time. The other bed is out in the open in full sun. After doing battle with the weeds as well as the volunteer morning glories, they're more uniform. 
« Last Edit: August 08/05/19, 10:06:40 PM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

I wouldn't even send those %$#@ things to Glenn! Besides, they'd starve at his place!   
I think they need living plants! :bonk:
« Last Edit: August 08/06/19, 08:14:33 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I wouldn't even send those %$#@ things to Glenn! Besides, they'd starve at his place!   
I think they need living plants! :bonk:
says the guy that cant grow a winter onion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Even Ellie McPherson in the buff couldn't of made those limp things stand up!  :rotflmao: